Worst TMS guest stars

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
I thought the Steve Martin episode was pretty bad too. Sometimes I just love him and other times he grates my last nerve. This was one of the unnerving times.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
IMO, the problem with Steve Martin in his episode was the fact that he just did his usual stand-up routine on the show, rather than something new in which he would've interacted more with the Muppets.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I have to agree with the people who said the Mark Hamill episode. The only parts of it that are worth watching (to me, at least) are "Rama Lama Ding Dong" and "Six-String Orchestra". The rest of it is just painful.

I'm also not that fond of the Lynda Carter episode. I don't know why; I just don't like it.

Oh, and Vic? It's spelled 'Mummenshancz'.

-Kim

DerekJ

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
If there was one thing I really truly got sick of though, it was the Steve Martin episode. I loved Steve, but the forced cast laughing made me sick.
I'll second the "Eek--What were they thinking??" for the "audition" waste of good banjo-era 70's-Steve--
At one point, you can even hear the offstage har-har crew making fun of the Swedish Chef's Chef-ese during a sketch....How un-Muppet can you get?? :embarrassed:

But anyway--It's hard to distinguish "Worst guests" from "Worst guest shows":
For example, even though the 4th and 5th seasons went straight for plot and steamrollered over their guests (poor Dudley Moore--We were embarrassed too), I'm sure Glenda Jackson would've been a perfectly fine guest if they'd actually scripted a show for her, instead of cramming her into the already-written "pirate" episode....

D

Dil

I guess the Harvey Korman episode is the very worst Muppet Show episode EVER in the entire universe. Harvey hates being on the show, and he never ever EVER sang on it. Plus, here, only Richard Hunt performed Miss Piggy in this episode. Harvey didn't even appear in the closing number.

The only part on this episode I like is the Fozzie Bear monologue.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Astro4004 said:
Lola Falana's episode isn't very good, I agree, but it wasn't all her fault.
Wha? What about the plot with Gonzo leaving? I thought it was handled excellently- it was sincere and heartfelt and yet they still had room for (equally genuine) humor.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Before I want to give my comments, I want to make sure that we are talking about guests we didn't care for on The Muppet Show, and not just episodes we didn't care for.

Tim

Reaction score
I think what it comes down to is whether or not we even like the Guest Star to begin with. Personally, I can't stand Mark Hamil. He could recite Shakespear dressed as Queen Victoria and riding a flaming armadillo and I wouldn't be impressed. His over acting, mugging and attempts at comedy were nothing short of embarrasing (but the "When You Wish Upon A Star" bit at the end WAS pretty cool!). I have to just edit him out as I watch the show.

On the other hand, I thought that Bruce Forsyth was brilliant, and perfect for the show. But being an American, I have almost no knowledge of who he is (except for a supporting roll in Disney's "Bedknobs & Broomsticks").

Also, can the Guest Star even do televison variety/musical comedy while relating to a chunk of foam and fabric on a grown person's arm? Not an easy thing to do. (I puppeteered a pilot where I had to ad-lib with 8 celebrities-only 2 could do it and they were both non-actors!).

Finally, can the Guest Star bring something to the show that's different AND can work with The Muppets? Big difference between Jsomeone like Julie Andrews and say Debbie Harry (They give her "Rainbow" to "sing"? I'd rather listen to teeth being drilled.)

Any Guest that can't do this would be my vote for "worst".

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
I didn't really like the Juliet Prowse episode. Her acting and such was good but, excluding her interveiw with Kermit, she only did one act!
I also didn't like parts of the Ethel Merman episode. Her performances were great but she got irratating at parts like when she hits Animal on the head and when she knocks Kermit over. Some times parts like those are funny, sometimes they're annoying.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Tim said:
On the other hand, I thought that Bruce Forsyth was brilliant, and perfect for the show. But being an American, I have almost no knowledge of who he is (except for a supporting roll in Disney's "Bedknobs & Broomsticks").
See, I got the impression that Bruce thought he was better than the Muppets, and like I said before, disingenuous, grating, and a show-off.

I think personally that comic actors often made ideal guests- in the context of sketches, they really got to interact with the Muppets, moreso than, say, recording stars. Avery Schreiber is a perfect example. Ditto Dom DeLuise, Madeline Kahn, Nancy Walker, etc. But that's just my opinion.