1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Worst TMS guest stars

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Gorgon Heap, May 6, 2003.

1. Dil Guest

Kermit WOULD handle the other muppets, while Guy Smiley is the host. It would be a different version, but Kermit would still star the same way, except in the introductions.
  2. David French Member

That wouldn't even work. Guy Smiley is too straight-laced for The Muppet Show. Besides that, Gameshow Hosts are notorious for being a bit pompous and I don't think Guy would fit in with the other Muppets.
  3. Dil Guest

Are you sure Kermit is perfect?
  4. JJandJanice Active Member

Well they first did the show with Nigel and that didn't really work.

Kermit has more charisma.
  5. David French Member

Perfect in general or perfect for the role?

In the case of the former - no one (not even the Muppets) are perfect. In the case of the latter - of all the Muppets that took on the role of introducing acts or being host of the show throughout the whole episode...none were as good as Kermit.

And anyway, isn't he considered to be the leader of the Muppets? So why would you relegate him to second banana?
  6. JJandJanice Active Member

You're in your own world with the Guy Smiley thing there Dil, ;) .
  7. Dil Guest

What do you prefer, a SERIOUS Muppet Host (such as Kermit) or a Silly Muppet Host (such as Statler and Waldorf?
  8. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Kermit may be one of the most straight faced of all the Muppets, but he is DEFINITELY not serious. He's always there making a pig joke, cracking a one-liner or just being his own funny self.

I don't understand WHY we're talking about how Guy Smiley would've made a better host than Kermit. I'm not going to add fuel to fire by agreeing or disagreeing, but the fact remains, The Muppet Show was thirty years ago, and guess what? Kermit was the host. He always has been and always will be. You can't change that by making other people believe it. Or should Disney edit all of the other Muppet show episodes and superimpose Guy Smiley of Kermit? (I'm sure they could do it while they're editing Eren Ozker's Janice voice...) :rolleyes:
  9. David French Member

LOL!
  10. Dil Guest

Kermit would've stayed in Sesame Street, as another muppet who would probably have the same charisma of Kermit's and be the host, (Not to mention Nigle of course).
  11. David French Member

If he'd done that, then TMS would have never have been the worldwide hit it became.
  12. Dil Guest

OK, then Kermit it is. But he would've worn his tux throughout the years and use muppet liknesses of every guest star, besides Juliet Prowse, Connie Stevens, Paul Williams, and Andy Williams.
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Hey dude. I'm with yah. It's not just a Mark Hamil Episode... I mean, George Lucas and Jim Henson had a great relationship. C-3PO and R2D2 on Sesame Street... Various Star Wars clips in Muppet Babies... even Piggy and Beau riding the Star Tours ride in Muppets at WDW. Mark was grating at times, but it showed he can do something besides be Luke Skywalker. That Hamminess helped him greatly for his role as the Joker in Batman TAS. And I think he's up with the other great Jokers like Ceasar Romero and Jack Nicholson.

And I SERIOUSLY could never disagree more with anyone who posted Gilda Radner. She was one of the only ones from SNL to actually get the magic of the "Mucking Fuppets" (as John Belushi described them). Jane Curtain and Dan Akroyd would later see that same magic, but only years later on Sesame Street (or in Dan's case, "Soul Man")

Not to mention Paul Simon... did you and I see the same episode? He totally got into it, upstaging the Muppets, especially that scene with Gonzo. That was great.

I do say, I didn't like Jim Nabors or Bruce Forsythe. I need to see others before I make a real judgement.

But the one thing (unless I've already stated it before) that makes one a bad guest is if they don't like the muppets and just want to do it for their career or something. And Ashanti in MWO... she pretty much made the entire thing worse than it had to be.
  14. Marky Member

Yeah, I agree about Jim Nabors and Bruce Forsythe. Lena Horne was kind of.. meh.

Man, the only season fresh in my mind is season one, the only one I have on DVD. I can't remember the other 4 as well.

Er... do they get funnier, like the early movies? I'm having a muppet memory lapse!

:concern:
  15. Dil Guest

I say. Who would like TMS better if Kermit was still wearing his tux, instead of usually only wearing his collar, and in every episode (besides the one starring Juliet, Connie, and the two men whose last name is Williams) feature a mupept likeness of the guest stars?
  16. Barry Lee Active Member

Dil, this has nothing to do with the thread topic. Stay ON TOPIC.
  17. JJandJanice Active Member

Dil does do that, but to be fair that does happen everyonce in awhile with almost anyone.

As for Dil's comments on Kermit being the host, first off with Kermit being serious. Kermit was more serious than the other Muppets, but that was the point. He was the man trying to keep everything together and trying to hold down this family of crazies. It was even said that if the Muppets had basketball teams the score would always be frogs 99, choas 98, so that's what made Kermit great. Second as for Kermit always wearing his tux, no I don't feel that it would of made the Muppet Show any better or worse for that matter. Kermit's trademark is how he looks without the tux.

Overall Dil, what does it matter, the show was done in 1981 that's 25 years. Dil I think you just post pointless things to get your post number up. Which is really annoying.:attitude: :smirk:
  18. Marky Member

BACK ON TOPIC...

So, I see no one has countered my point on Rachel Welsh...
  19. Jon New Member

I agree with you. i find nothing offensive about it at all.

It really is a shame how people self censor themselves in this age.

I always thought part of the muppet's drive was of sending up previous generation's tastes in culture: Wayne and Wanda.
  20. Dil Guest

Sorry.