Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

CoOKiE

Reaction score
:smile:PITCH: The Muppets embark on a Christmas holiday together only to find that they can't afford their accommodations as their funds were lost along with their baggage in transit. They have to get holiday jobs until their scheduled flight home. In the process they discover people in need of help and Christmas spirit. When their money is found it is given to a good cause. Lots of songs in between!

Did you ever think about writing for the Muppets? lol I REALLY liked that idea actually. That sounds more like the Muppets work then what i saw last night.

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
If the Muppets are now owned by Disney, I wonder why the special wasn't aired on ABC.
That same question hit me as I watched. With Disney owning ABC, why would the basic relaunch of the Muppet brand be allowed to take place on a rival network?

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
Did you ever think about writing for the Muppets? lol I REALLY liked that idea actually. That sounds more like the Muppets work then what i saw last night.

Again, I have to agree. That sounds like quite the good idea for a special/movie.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Alright, I've waited long enough and now the time has come for my post about this special.

I loved it. I LOVED it.

Go ahead, say it (I know some of you want to), I love everything the Muppets have done. Not true. I didn't love Kermit's Swamp Years, I didn't love the original Studio DC: Almost Live!.

This special was not KSY or Studio DC. At ALL. This special was for Muppet fans. Not just me, the 18 year-old obsessed Muppet fan, but for my 35 year-old Art Teacher, and for her two kids, ages 7 and 11. Not obsessed fans by any means, but casual fans who enjoy a good story and a good laugh. My teacher was so blown away by this special that she actually asked me if it was really all-new material.

I don't understand what the problem some people had with this special is. Yes, I've read this entire thread, yes, I've read every single argument every single person who has posted has made, and I just don't get it.

So Scooter wasn't Richard Hunt. Ladies and gentleman, let's face it, no one will ever be Richard Hunt.

And Miss Piggy had a lot less screen-time than expected--but, c'mon, did you see the scenes she WAS in? How anyone could complain about THAT Miss Piggy, a Miss Piggy who is a diva, yes, but returns to be with her Kermie for Christmas--THE SAME EXACT THING SHE DID IN A MUPPET FAMILY CHRISTMAS!--well... they must not have seen the same Miss Piggy I did.

Yeah, Santa Claus was there. Guys... come on. Seriously? We're going to nit-pick Santa Claus because he's in a Muppets special? Because he makes it too kiddy? Really? I honestly don't know of anything more timeless and age-less than Santa Claus (other than the Muppets, of course) and if Santa Claus can't be in a witty, heart-felt production meant for all-ages then I don't know what he can be in. Most of the negative comments in this thread would have Santa reduced to Barney fodder... well, good luck telling that to the Christmas Movie industry over in Hollywood.

Yes, some of the Muppets weren't looking their best. Alright... seriously, it's not about out appearance people! "Bein' Green," anyone? Miss Piggy performed beautifully, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew STOLE the show. Yes, the Fozzie puppet was inconsistent, but notice that it was the flatter Fozzie head during the outdoor scenes and the much better pear-shaped head indoors, I think it was just a miscommunication. Unproffesional, yes, but how someone could complain about Fozzie in this special at all is beyond me...

People have also been saying that Gonzo was the leader in this... Again, I have to say, quoting Weekend Update's Seth and Amy, REALLY? First of all... Kermit was the leader. He was the leader for the first time in a very, VERY long time. He hasn't been the leader like this since Manhattan (New York seems to bring that out in the frog...). Someone mentioned that he gave up on delivering the letters too easily--that he wasn't demonstrating his "eye of the hurricane" qualities... I don't see it. Yeah, he gave up on the letters after seeking literally every route he and his friends could come up with--except Gonzo's. He didn't go along with Gonzo's idea to fly to the North Pole on Christmas Eve because he thought the idea was crazy. Gee... does that remind anyone of The Muppet Show? Where Gonzo had a crazy idea for an act and Kermit shot it down, but with enough convincing he caved and let Gonzo go for it? Yeah... it rings a bell with me. I just don't see how anoyone couldn't think of Kermit as the leader in this. Yes, Gonzo led all the songs, but... Kermit led everyone. He paid Whoopi, he asked the Jesse L. Martin if they needed help at the Post Office, he introduced himself as "Kermit the Frog... and friends" to Uma Thurman at the Post Office. What MORE do you want him to do? Wield a sword and deliver the monologue from Braveheart?

Gonzo wasn't the leader. He needed the leading. Sure, he had to do some convincing to GET Kermit to lead him, but he needed it. There's no way he could get those letters to Santa by himself, he needed Kermit and the others right beside him. Gonzo doesn't lead... he represents the leader's accomplishments. The undying belief that anything is possible and will happen if you believe and perservere hard enough. Fozzie represents the very same thing, he's just more apprehensive about it.

The songs... WHAT? You... you didn't like the songs? Yeah, okay, they were no "Rainbow Connection," "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday," or "The Magic Store," but, honestly did we expect them to be? A one-hour special with a two-week shooting period... How well-polished can we expect these songs to be? As well-polished as they were, that's how. They were all perfect for this special. We haven't seen a plot-advancing/describing song like "Delivering Christmas" since "Hey A Movie!" or "Scrooge." Yeah, oooookay, so I can understand thinking that "What's in Your Heart?" is slightly cheesy... but... wasn't seeing Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo helm a brand new song the likes of which we haven't seen since "Steppin' Out With a Star" worth it? Also, the meaning behind the song is enough to make it spectacular. What's in your heart? Seriously! It's a beautiful message that just screams classic Paul Williams! Don't even get me started on the perfection of "I Wish I Could Be Santa Claus." Anyone who wasn't moved by that song simply must hate Christmas. No argument. And, finally, "My Best Christmas Yet." In this case, anyone who didn't enjoy this song must not be a Muppet fan or enjoy group ensemble songs like "We're Not Gonna Stop" from The Muppets at Walt Disney World. Kermit and Gonzo led a song with solos from Robin, Rowlf, Fozzie, and Miss Piggy. ...WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT! Okay, yeah, a verse from the Mayhem would've been incredible, but they weren't even on their instruments! Sure, Scooter could've had a line too... I won't argue with that. But... that song is the one piece of evidence I need to know that the Muppets are coming back in full force. I don't know what else needs to be said about that.

Recasts... again, I can agree with this one somewhat. Somewhat. I thought Scooter was just fine, and Rudman just needs a chance to let the character grow and become himself again. Robin... we'll have to hear a lot more from him before we can pass real judgement. Though, for what it was, I thought it was spectacular (and the fact that they actually [finally] recast him blew me away). Rowlf...I don't understand ANYONE's complaints about Rowlf. He sounded perfect. PERFECT. Same with Sam, Floyd, Dr. Teeth, Janice, and Crazy Harry. Am I missing anyone? There were so many recently-silent Muppets in this that I don't know if I got all of them. I refuse to acknowledge complaints about Piggy, Fozzie, or Animal anymore. I think all three of them are utterly perfect and nothing better could be done with them on the part of Eric (yes, the writing could be better, but this, Muppets.com, and The Mike and Juliet Show appearance have solidified Piggy's character again--finally). And I've decided just to laugh at anyone who finds the need to complain about Steve and Kermit. It's been 18 years, people, and Steve is perfect.

Alright... I think I've hit on everyone's grievances (other than length, which is the only one I agree with). Now I can finally go through what I adored about this special.

From the very beginning I knew it was going to be good. The first stamp on the letters was Rowlf... A very good sign. Then the rat carolers, then singing, and then Pops and Sweetums. The "Delivering Christmas" scene was perfect Muppet zaniness, I think, and it's a sign of great things to come.

Then they're tossed out in a mail-bag... that screams GMC. And then Crazy Harry, and then Gonzo and Claire air-kiss, and then Beauregard is sweeping a chicken in the background, and then Kermit and Fozzie have a perfect moment between them. Then Sam shows up and steals the show with a perfect appareance.

Then commericial... ugh. Those were tortuous to sit through, no?

Anyway, we get back and Scooter's there, just hanging out with the gang. How COOL is that? Then Bunsen and Beaker put on a spectacular show, Petra Nemcova meeps, and Bunsen breaks for lunch. Miss Piggy shows up, Kermit attempts an inspirational speech (with Scooter agreeing! PERRRRRFECT! I don't know if that was in the script or Rudman ad-libbing, but it was great), and Piggy slams the door on him--literally. Scooter makes a pun, and we're whisked off to see some Jewish pigeons who were funny but wouldn't have been missed.

And then Pepe gets his scene... The Mafia. I fell in love with the Pepe/Rizzo dynamic in this special, it's just awesome. Pepe's first line at the table with the mobsters sent me into hysterics--that whole scene did, actually. Chef was hilarious and I loved the mustache.

Commercial... GAH!

We're back, and Scooter and the EM are standing in the same place as Pepe and Rizzo. Freakin' sweet. Scooter gets a chance to show off HIS idea to get the letters... when was the last time SCOOTER got a chance to show HIS idea? MTM? Then Animal hits the laptop, Floyd has a conversation with Pepe and Rizzo (WOW!), and then Gonzo tugs our heart strings, and then Piggy walks out on Kermit and he says he WANTS to spend Christmas with her... The frog/pig relationship is BACK! Then the Mayhem leaves. This part stunned me. The writers actually gave a reason for the Mayhem not to be appearing in the rest of the special--as if they were EXPECTED to be going to the North Pole. That really, really made me happy. The band was finally treated as more than just one-note characters, but characters with the possibility of carrying on a sub-plot.

Anyway... then Gonzo gets Kermit and Fozzie to sing and it's great. Whoopi shows up as my favorite cameo, Pepe drools over Joy, Pepe gets rid of his berries, Nathan Lane and Bobo crack me up, Fozzie tells a hilariously terrible joke, and Bobo tackles Fozzie and calls him Yogi even though he too is a bear.

CURSE THESE COMMERCIALS!

We're back, and Nathan Lane is interrogating, Bobo's making me fall on the floor laughing, and Fozzie is fantastic. Then Nathan Lane grabs Pepe by the neck and he croaks out, "I'm a king prawn" and Lane says, "Same THING!" PERFECT! Nathan Lane admits his desire for a red tricycle ("Ding, ding, ding") and I laugh even more, and then they're let go!

Joy gets the gang on the wing of the plane... Fozzie: "We're winging it!" Kermit: "That's not funny! ! !" That might have been the most perfect line in the entire special. Then Rizzo and Pepe make me laugh again, and they jump off the wing and Gonzo looks THRILLED to be falling! Then Pepe says, "Thank goodness I landed on jour fat, squishy body, Ritzo," and Kermit digs out Gonzo (his speedy little arm is SO cool!), Fozzie gets his hat, and they set off for the workshop.

Then Paul Williams was WEIRD, yet oddly perfect... and then--

GAH! COMMERCIAL!

Gonzo is sad, Pepe says, "I didn't," and Gonzo goes off. I was talking to Leyla while watching this and as he walked off I said, "I SWEAR IF HE SINGS I'LL FLIP!" Well... he sang, and I flipped. Gonzo and Fozzie shared a duet. They have NEVER sung a duet together. It was beautiful and just plain perfect. (My aforementioned teacher said that she loved this song the most.) I would go as far as to deem this the best part of the entire special.

Anyway, Kermit, Pepe, and Rizzo come, Pepe makes a pointless argument and sparkles fall, Santa comes, Joy gives them a lift, and Santa is AWESOME. He finally reads the letters, and Pepe sings opera. If Gonzo and Fozzie's song was the best part, Pepe's opera solo was definitely the funniest part. I laughed so hard I couldn't hear Kermit's next line. Anyway... Officer Meany gets his trike ("Ding, ding, ding!"), and the moral of the story shines through as you don't need Santa to grant wishes...

ANOTHER STUPID COMMERCIAL BREAK!

The gang shows up at Claire's, they say please, and Sweetums drags in a tree, Lew is HILARIOUS ("It's FISHES!"), Rowlf gets a brief line, Robin hops in, a turkey cries, Bunsen asks for the little boys room, Claire's Mom says, "There's a penguin in my house..." Pepe eyes Claire's mom... PERFECT MUPPETY FEELING ALL AROUND!

Then... PIGGY! SHE'S BACK! SHE'S GORGEOUS! LOOK AT HER! ! ! SUN-TAN FREAKIN' LOTION PEOPLE! If Kermit grinning from ear-to-nonexistant-ear while saying, "Uh, me?" isn't a perfect sign that the Kermit and Piggy story is back on track... I don't know what is.

The Mayhem returns (THEY WROTE THEM A RETURNING SCENE! HOW COOL IS THAT? !) Floyd is amazing, Janice sounds GREAT, Animal grunts, Dr. Teeth is phenominal, Zoot mumbles "Happy Hanukkah" and all is right with the world.

Gonzo starts singing, it cuts to Robin who SINGS (I screamed!), then Kermit, Gonzo, Claire, and Robin harmonize, Gonzo and Kermit parade around singing together, Chef hugs the turkey, the tree lights up, Fozzie gives Claire and Claire's mom the sweaters, Rowlf sings (I screamed again) while playing the piano again, Bunsen and Beaker reunite and dance, Fozzie sings, Piggy sings, Kermit grabs her by the hand and leads her to the group where they all sing. By this time I'm completely stunned and I wouldn't stop grinning if my hand was chopped off.

It snows, they all rush the window, Kermit wants to say Merry Christmas to his friends, but instead Piggy breaks the fourth wall (for the first time since... well, does the Tarantino cameo count? It shouldn't.) and he says it to us. They all do. Then the final shot is of Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Scooter, Gonzo, Robin, and Rizzo saying "Happy Holidays" to us.

This was the best thing that the Mupepts have done since VMC, no doubt. Possibly the best thing since MTI. The songs were incredible, the story was smart and witty, the Electric Mayhem spoke, Pepe sang opera, Gonzo was perfect, Statler and Waldorf heckled, Sam preached perfection, Chef hugged a turkey, Bobo said, "Ding, ding, ding," Lew Zealand gave a fish as a Christmas present, Bunsen danced with Beaker, Beauregard swept, Scooter had a plan, Crazy Harry blew something up, Sweetums was a brute, Rowlf played the piano, Robin sang, Fozzie told a bad joke, Rizzo was focussed on food, and Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy were a couple again.

...Tell me again... what was wrong with this special?

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<Stands up and full-heartedly applauds theprawncracker's post>

The only things I don't agree with in that post right there... aren't things that Prawnie was saying, but criticisms Prawnie was repeating that other people have said.

People are COMPLAINING about this special? SERIOUSLY? You mean that's PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE? ...I don't understand that. What's to complain about? It was... FANTASTICABULOUS!

Boppity

Reaction score
I've seen this twice now, and both times I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

What really made me love it was all the more minor Muppets getting to talk again! I really don't like Sweetum's voice but I'll get used to it. Floyd, Lew, and Sam's voices (and lines) were amazing. I feel a little confused though, because everyone's saying they notice a difference in Robin's voice, and I honestly didn't notice a thing XD

I liked all the original music, except the middle songs sounded too much like MCC to me. The first and last songs I loved, they were just perfect!

I do have to wonder...why is Claire there? Who is this Claire and why is she so special to be living with the Muppets? I really wish they would have went deeper into her and Gonzo's relationship, how they got to be friends, etc.

I do wish Kermit had just a bit more screen time...I don't think Gonzo's the main one here, but he definitely is quite in the spotlight. I do like Gonzo and Fozzie's number together, it felt like pairing them together was really new. Piggy and Pepe irked me. I felt that Piggy was a bit out of character and...well, Pepe always irked me. Bobo, however, I was finally able to love. I've never been too much of a fan of him, but I loved him here. I'm happy that the guest stars are guest stars here and not the center of attention. I though that they all interacted with the Muppets quite nicely.

Finally, the humor - it was Muppet humor! It didn't seem forced at all and was just brilliant.

After all that rambling (sorry I complained so much, I swear I love it! XD ), I give this special a A-. I'm very happy to see the Muppets are returning to their former glory with this special (in my opinion, anyways) and I hope more quality Muppet stuff is to come!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
People are COMPLAINING about this special? SERIOUSLY? You mean that's PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE? ...I don't understand that. What's to complain about? It was... FANTASTICABULOUS!

You WERE watching NBC at 8pm right? I think its importqant to know that we were watching the same thing...

lol jk i argued the negitive and positives so i'm at the so-so line

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I mostly agree with prawncracker. Fans are always going to think things could be better, but I liked what they gave us. Scooter's official return from retirement alone makes this special ... well, um - special. I know he's appeared before, but he appears back for good now.

And I felt Piggy was Piggy-ish.

Rowlf, well I still hear a lot of Bobo in him and that's alright with me. :sympathy: :smile:

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
One last thing that I didn't see mentioned was about NBC's hi-def broadcast. This probably led to the weird cropping some people complained about. Having a widescreen hi-def TV, this was my first true hi-def Muppet Experience. It was amazing to see the textures of the puppets so clearly. I REALLY enjoyed that aspect of the broadcast thoroughly.

Count me in to the group that liked the special, but didn't love it yet. I will watch a few more times and see if it grows on me.:smile:

Davina

Reaction score
i think a lot of the problem may be that we all over hyped this to ourselves and each other and may have been expecting a lot more then we got.. but, that said, it was still a pretty darn good little special. i liked it, and while i may have felt slightly let down that it wasn't the glorious second coming of the muppets we all kind of talked it up to be before hand, i'm sure it will grow on us all more as we watch it again and again. NBC is missing a bet if they don't show this again in the next week :smile:
meanwhile, i've got to go dub this over for my husband and his troop to watch (though sadly they won't get it before Christmas at this point..)