Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 44

cjd874

Reaction score
From what I hear about this bit with Oscar and the Count, it really does sound like they are trying to bring the original characters back to the foreground. That also might explain the Bert/Ernie/Elmo storyline coming up. You don't see that pairing often. Maybe there is a chance of something like Grover, Cookie, and Herry in a skit (if Herry is recast), or maybe more Big Bird & Snuffy stories.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Also, Elmo was clearly being performed by someone else, with Kevin doing the voice. Either he wasn't in that day, or this was filmed after he left and he recorded his lines ahead of time.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Also, Elmo was clearly being performed by someone else, with Kevin doing the voice. Either he wasn't in that day, or this was filmed after he left and he recorded his lines ahead of time.
I noticed that too. I'd have to wonder if they went with that same tactic when they prepared the Count show, since Elmo's featured and that was filmed in December. I guess we'll have to wait 'till that airs, or if it pops up on the Sesame website before then.

Also, I'm happy to say I'm getting more used to Matt Vogel's Count after seeing it today. :batty: The voice may not have been spot on, but the overall performance captured the spirit of Jerry's original without being a forced imitation.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The episode for Thursday September 19 is...

4404: Latino Festival

A street festival celebrates Spanish culture and language.

This episode also features the debut of Sesame's new neighbor Mand0...

If you've seen "Latino Festival", please like this post and let us know your thoughts on the new episode.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
"Rhymes for Mando": Great song, but the way it's filmed is weird (it's grown on me, but not too much).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4404: Latino Festival.

Airdate: September 19 2013.
Sponsors: V, 9.

What's the Word on the Street?: Sturdy.

Street Story.
¡Bienvenidos a Sesame Street!
Wait... Mando is a fellow boricua? They just said he'd be of Latin descent. He's got my approval.
They don't know what a coquí is? They did a whole episode/song about it in a Season 30 or 31 episode that aired on Noggin.
Telly: "I know, it's a big mesa."
Er, that should be "el coquí está "debajo" de la mesa." "Debajo" means "under", "abajo" means "down".
Now that I've had time to hear it, that indeed is a coquí because it's making the "co-quí" sound. Though there are lots of varieties of coquíes or tree frogs all over the Caribbean countries, only the Puerto Rican species make the particular "co-quí" sound when croaking. I should also point out that coquíes come out in the mornings but more commonly at night, especially after it's been raining.

This entire episode, and the song which reminded me of Yako's World, made me extremely happy.
It reminded me of a similar national cultural food representative celebration from my younger schooling days.

Highlights.
1 Celebrity/Muppets: Abby and some guy named John demonstrate "sturdy".
2 Film: Kids playing instruments from South America.
3 Murray shows that people in school have to take turns with a book before...
4 Murray Had a Little Lamb: Flamenco Dance School.
5 Sesame English: :insatiable: teaches V with a violin.
6 Muppets: :super: sells Mr. Johnson a letter V.
This is the type of letter sketches we need more of.
7 Abby's Flying Fairy School: Clean-Up Time.
8 Muppets: Zoe interviews twin ballerinas Laura and Loraina as they all dance the Lambarena.
:batty: I prefer the Lambaba.
9 More of Murray at flamenco dance school.
10 Kids counting 9 dancers, bleh.
11 Super Grover 2.0: Boat Balancing Act (or whatever the sketch's title is).
12 Murray finishes his day at flamenco dance school.
13 Muppets: "Rhymes With Mando".
It should be noted that all the verbs referenced in Spanish end in "-ar" in their non-conjugated form, and the addition of the suffix "-ando" turns them into gerund or continuous active verbal forms. You tend to remember this kind of stuff when you've had Spanish grammer drilled into your head for your entire basic educative life through twelve grades.
Also, I liked the song much better than I thought I would as I was afraid that based on a quick snipet of the chorus they were reverting to their "fish fish fish shnish" days on the street.
14 Kids with a rhyming game about the mango tree.
15 ETM: Guacamole the Musical.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Two things first.

I hate to be that guy, but... Rosita X Telly.

I feel dirty just saying that.

Secondly, I like how they introduced Mando as someone that they knew already, rather than give us the full character meeting everyone on the street introduction. That gets so tired. Especially the inevitable "This is Oscar, act grouchy and he'll like you" bit.

I noticed that Gina and Marco were at the festival, yet didn't say anything. While it would have been nice to give them some lines, just acknowledging Marco's country of origin in a background is good enough. Too bad they spent too much time saying "WOW! They speak Spanish in X" instead of giving Gina and Marco something more than blink and you'll miss it screen time.

Better than a bare street, though.

I really liked Mando's song... but I just couldn't get the feeling out of my head that it sounded just a little like the breakdown in this old bit:

Mando's shaping up to be a great cast member so far. I hope they give him a lot of musical bits, since he has an excellent singing voice.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I noticed in the Latino Festival episode at sesamestreet.org that Gina and Marco are seen in background but didn't say anything...maybe its a new use for characters...at least we can see them a little more.

I know what you mean. I caught Leela there too, but she didn't have a speaking part. Also was that dark haired girl in the background Gabi? Maybe not. But I thought it sort of looked like her.

They don't know what a coquí is? They did a whole episode/song about it in a Season 30 or 31 episode that aired on Noggin.
That is one thing I've noticed especially in recent episodes. A lot of times lessons are repeated. I guess Muppets have short term memories. Lol. :smile::rolleyes: (Nothing really relevant here. Just testing the smilie thing. That was giving me trouble over my past few posts.)

This entire episode, and the song which reminded me of Yako's World, made me extremely happy.
Yep. That's a classic.

United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaicia, Peru, something Bolivian, Cuba, Carribean, something, El Salavador too. (That's about all I can remember of that one.)

It should be noted that all the verbs referenced in Spanish end in "-ar" in their non-conjugated form, and the addition of the suffix "-ando" turns them into gerund or continuous active verbal forms. You tend to remember this kind of stuff when you've had Spanish grammer drilled into your head for your entire basic educative life through twelve grades.
Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. That's the Spanish equivalent of the English -ing shound.

Secondly, I like how they introduced Mando as someone that they knew already, rather than give us the full character meeting everyone on the street introduction. That gets so tired. Especially the inevitable "This is Oscar, act grouchy and he'll like you" bit.
I don't know. I think that's a bit odd. Like someone is coming in out of the blue like with Leela and with Chris, well maybe not Chris since he introduced himself to some Muppets later on. But I wouldn't mind seeing an ep where a new character would maybe get a bad impression of the street because of Oscar's grouchy attitude (though it had happened when Abby first appeared on the street) or Cookie Monster's uncouth eating habits and then maybe he or she would get to know other characters and go from there. Just my opinion.

I like that they're still playing the :super: - Super/Mr. Johnson segments. Though I can't help but wonder if there are any new ones coming up. I know Jerry is gone, but again, I think Matt Vogel or David Rudman might consider performing him for a sketch or two.

I liked that Luis got a big part after being absent for a season, so that's always good.

BTW, Drtooth, just out of curiousity, what's with the X's in your post? Not to criticize. I'm just not understanding what you're saying.

Drtooth

Reaction score
BTW, Drtooth, just out of curiousity, what's with the X's in your post? Not to criticize. I'm just not understanding what you're saying.
X is an undefined variable. Think of it as a fill in the blank with whatever case fits.

Except, Rosita X Telly. X is a term used for couple shipping.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW: It's... United States, Canada.
Mexico, Panama.
Haiti, Jamaica, Peru.
Republic Dominican.
Cuba Caribbean (one R, two B's).
Greenland, El Salvador too.