Your Thoughts: Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Because they discuss the you-know-what contraversy. But I hope it will be on DVD.
I'm glad they discussed it at some point. Even though, I always thought that it was launched because of the whole misunderstanding about the "We are Family" video. but then again... (get ready, this is a ol' fashion rant!)

These sort of "Christian" groups (Christian in quotation marks for a reason) ALWAYS look to take any big pop culture phenom so they can assert themselves and use things to spread their evil, unChristian, hateful propaganda. You know... the kind of groups headed up by the same type of people that embezzle money and run off with some arm candy and attempt to break every single commandment.... Look at the nonsense they put Harry Potter and Pokemon through... and Pokemon they actually had to grasp at straws.

"Watch out! Spongebob is brainwashing your kids!" Guess those psuedo Christians don't want any competition....

I do remember some reputable "actually believe in Christ's teachings" church making a nice internet website about Spongebob going to church... they used a big Pillow Pal for it. nice little thing that church did for him.

Now on to the real news... Spongebob is a cultural phenom.... I see the appeal, I LOVE the character (I have yet to get any DVD's though... saw some great ones cheap today) and I love the show. It truly has staying power in an era where certain entertainment conglomerates force feed kids the notion that cartoons are immature, and live action cartoonish shows about pop stars is more grown up. In an era when even Cartoon Network doesn't want to run cartoons, the little yellow dude still comes out on top. And to think... the show was relatively unknown until about 2001. Even Rugrats wasn't this big, and that was Nick's biggest hit up until then. And all they had to do was wait and give the show some time. Something people don't have the foresight to do anymore.

This special (I just had to see the bootlegged Youtube edition for that controversy bit) shows that this character helped the country out during some pretty dark times (I don't wanna be political, but... well, YOU know what I'm talking about). And he touched the hearts and imaginations of so, so many.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm a huge Spongebob fan, though I think the series itself has jumped the shark; I don't really watch the new episodes. But in its beginning it was such a breath of fresh air and so different. You hardly see cartoons about sort of young adults who are learning to live on their own, get a job and struggle to get their boating (driving) license. :smile:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I'm glad they discussed it at some point. Even though, I always thought that it was launched because of the whole misunderstanding about the "We are Family" video. but then again... (get ready, this is a ol' fashion rant!)

These sort of "Christian" groups (Christian in quotation marks for a reason) ALWAYS look to take any big pop culture phenom so they can assert themselves and use things to spread their evil, unChristian, hateful propaganda. You know... the kind of groups headed up by the same type of people that embezzle money and run off with some arm candy and attempt to break every single commandment.... Look at the nonsense they put Harry Potter and Pokemon through... and Pokemon they actually had to grasp at straws.

"Watch out! Spongebob is brainwashing your kids!" Guess those psuedo Christians don't want any competition....

I do remember some reputable "actually believe in Christ's teachings" church making a nice internet website about Spongebob going to church... they used a big Pillow Pal for it. nice little thing that church did for him.
Well, Mike Nawrocki of VeggieTales fame is a fan of SpongeBob.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Mike Nawrocki of VeggieTales fame is a fan of SpongeBob.
Yeah, it's basically something that big time groups want under their foot, so they can control another generation of hateful, brainwashed automotons so they can control the government... I doubt any of the warm friendly people working on Veggietales would fall into that category.

I hate pressure groups, "religious" ones moreso -again, note quotations... there's hardly any religion in their mission statement.

But enough of that.

Kinda surprised they dodged the greedy, lazy, self serving....errr...concerned parental groups who were upset at Spongebob being on one box of cereal and a fast food premium...errr... contributing to the Childhood obesity hype...errr... epidemic. :big_grin: (really... they held a press conference, and the mothers involved seemed more concerned about not having to tell their kids "No" than health problems, You may not undersatnd... when you have kids you have to RAISE them... they don't become hardworking intellegent adults if you lock them in their rooms with an X-Box and just wait for them to be 18)

Any group that mangles innocent cartoons and makes them look bad so they can spread some sort of agenda I DON'T LIKE....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's usually the conservative Christians *cough*Republicans*cough* who do that... ETP-TV (our local PBS affiliate) would probably still have their Friends of Sesame Street Club today if it wasn't for them spreading the word that shows like Sesame Street, Arthur, Clifford the Big Red Dog and even The Little Lulu Show (which had been off the air for years at that point... and isn't even a PBS show, it was an HBO show) told kids it was okay to be gay and be friends with gay people... as a result, funding dropped drastically, and raising the pledge prices didn't help either.

Back on topic... I cannot WAIT for SpongeBob to die. I'm sorry, but I always hated SpongeBob, the character and the show got on my nerves so much, I don't understand the appeal of an idiotic sea sponge, and an even more idiotic starfish doing idiotic things day-in and day-out... no wonder people are always complaining about how cartoons today are nothing but garbage - there's no intelligent writing, no relatable characters... it's all about simple slapstick humor of dumb characters tripping over something and "OMG! THAT'S GOLD!" And because that's all kids get today, no wonder they can't appreciate GOOD cartoons from yesteryears... because they're too intelligent for them, and they can't understand any of it because there's no dumb characters doing dumb things on a dumb level.

And to think creator Stephen Hillenberg actually used to work on Rocko, which actually was a smart, well-written, and well-executed cartoon, even if they did tend to push the envelope a little too far.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
>_> I'm gonna forget that remark about conservative Christians & Republicans, Snowthy.....

Haven't watched the special yet, although I CANT WAIT to see it! The Sponge is one of my favorites ^_^

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I apologize Beakie, but I'm honestly just calling it the way I've seen it go down in the past. -_-

Oscarfan

Reaction score
While I still love SpongeBob, I must say that after the movie, the episodes made a SHARP decline in quality. Sure there's a funny moment or two in each, but most of it is kind of dumb. And they feel the need to constantly make new characters and celebrity appearances. Also, in the pre-movie episodes, when was it ever establish that Sandy was inventor (except "Sandy's Rocket"). Now, it's basically all she's good for.

Plus, they use the same themes in several episodes, such as one where Patrick make a slogan for Plankton's restaurant that had poor spelling ("Chum is Fum"), but people are there anyway because of the cleverness of it, then using virtually the same theme when Plakton made the "Cum Caverns". They basically even used the same line in each ("Thefood is terrible, but I love the atmosphere/slogan!")

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's usually the conservative Christians *cough*Republicans*cough* who do that... ETP-TV (our local PBS affiliate) would probably still have their Friends of Sesame Street Club today if it wasn't for them spreading the word that shows like Sesame Street, Arthur, Clifford the Big Red Dog and even The Little Lulu Show (which had been off the air for years at that point... and isn't even a PBS show, it was an HBO show) told kids it was okay to be gay and be friends with gay people... as a result, funding dropped drastically, and raising the pledge prices didn't help either.
See... Evil, fake not real Christians that want to spread the Gospel of hatred, control and fear. Wanna hear a secret? The Republican party that shares an evil symbiotic relationship with them actually makes fun of the Christian right behind their backs... even the politicians think they're nuts. These shows are supposed to spread peace and love. They're just as bad as those Palestinian groups that wanted them to ban the Israeli/Palestinian Sesame Co-Production because they couldn't bare the thought of not raising another generation of hateful killbots for the cause of total control of their government.

Sorry... but I long for the day when those groups go so far over the ledge that no one takes them seriously anymore. People need to think for themselves, especially when it comes to religion. Not be pawns in some evil religious war/dictatorship.
EDIT: Hey... weren't those the same groups that tried to ban Sesame Street because it told kids to be friends with Black people? Yeah... they aren't hateful pawns of Satan...