Your Thoughts: Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants

Xerus

Reaction score
Hey... any cartoon show that lasts a full SEASON nowadays should be considered a Legend. Fraggin' Parental Groups and greedy incompetent network heads... grumble grumble.

Oh yeah. mainly because ABC gave it a really crappy time slot.

A LOT of cartoons have come back from being canceled. Family Guy being the most popular example, and we ARE getting Futurama back (with the original cast, thank you very much)... and of course, Scooby Doo had so many series it makes my head spin. Any show can come back not too long after cancellation... it just works better with the original cast and creators. I wish they kept Billy West for Disney's Doug, though....If not for Doug, than certainly some other characters...
I wish they'd bring back Yogi Bear and his gang in a new series. That's what I love about Hanna-Barbera the best.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I digress - most cartoon series these days last for four seasons, and a total of 52 episodes
That's how it was a few years ago. Now things have changed. If something isn't an instant success, or it doesn't keep its funding, or a TV channel drops it's kid's line up (CW for example) a cartoon won't even last a full season. Maybe 2 seasons... But all before their time. Spectacular Spider-Man is apparently getting canned after the second season (no thanks to Sony and the CW for dropping its kid's programming, as mentioned earlier).

Spongebob has been on 10 years, and it wasn't really successful until the second season. Had it premired let's say this year, we would have seen half the first season, and then it would have been canceled for another one of those grasping at straws Saved by the Bell clones made to compete with Disney's Saved by the Bell/Monkees clones with no real fight. We're never going to get a long lasting cartoon that impacted like Spongebob... or even Fairly Oddparents again... unless there are drastic changes to kid's television. And the fact we've been in a recession hasn't been helping matters either.

Nowadays, you can't even sell a cartoon unless it's guaranteed to be a smash success toy/marketing money maker... and with kids not buying toys, they're nailed into the wall there... and of course, all the other things I've been ranting about the past 2 years.... Something's gotta be done. Not so much that I can get work, but Kids NEED a childhood. We care more about our childhoods than actual kids care about theirs. They just want more "Mature" things like cartoonish acting people in live action series, not "Kiddy cartoons for babies." (i.e. anything that they aren't supposed to watch...Family Guy, South Park, adult swim...)

SSLFan

Reaction score
I digress - most cartoon series these days last for four seasons, and a total of 52 episodes; only do cartoons genuinely bomb (Sheep in the Big City, Mike, Lu & Og, etc) when they last maybe a couple of seasons at best.
Lol I liked Sheep in the Big City.:big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I never knew people thought spongebob was gay.
I remember in my Grade 10 Flash animation class, we all got together to record a mantra-ish song...

It went a little something like this...

"SpongeBob, SpongeBob, SpongeBob is gay!
SpongeBob, SpongeBob, SpongeBob is GAY!"

Just like that, it was really funny too, you could hear us breaking up a little as we sang. XD

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I got the First 100 Episodes box-set for Christmas, and Square Roots is included as a bonus feature. Fourtunatly, there's a warning at the begining. So parents can preview it before their kids see it.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
While I still love SpongeBob, I must say that after the movie, the episodes made a SHARP decline in quality. Sure there's a funny moment or two in each, but most of it is kind of dumb.
I know what your getting at there was an episode I saw (something about some seal's tan party and they turned Patrick's rock into a really dangerous looking tanning bed to get in) I could actually hear pre-movie SpongeBob yelling at post-movie SpongeBob not to use the tanning bed.

If that was a pre-movie episode SpongeBob would have thought it was too dangerous, then Patrick would've had one of his 'nonsense' moments and pushed SpongeBob into it. SpongeBob would NOT have gone in willingly.

Back on the subject of the documentary, I thought it was a really good behind-the-scenes look. I especially like the fact that they had Patchy in it despite the fact he's just a fictional as the sponge. I also found it funny to see hardened criminals singing the theme song.