Your Thoughts: Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Agreed. I have not seen a single "New" episode of Spongebob in years. If it's an old episode, I'll watch, but anything new really isn't all that great. Maybe they should've called it quits after the movie?
I kind of feel the same way about Ed, Edd n Eddy - granted, I HAVE seen about each new episode at least once, but shifting the show's entire premise from permanent/endless summer vacation to putting the kids in school was kind of hit-and-miss; in a way, it DID allow for different storylines and plots, but taking the kids out of their original environment doesn't work very well... like when they tried to do a spin-off of M*A*S*H showing life after the war. It didn't work.

That only happens when a movie is a total flop (Powerpuff Girls)
Um, but there were still new episodes of PPG after the movie.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I kind of feel the same way about Ed, Edd n Eddy - granted, I HAVE seen about each new episode at least once, but shifting the show's entire premise from permanent/endless summer vacation to putting the kids in school was kind of hit-and-miss; in a way, it DID allow for different storylines and plots, but taking the kids out of their original environment doesn't work very well
Yeah, I agree. It was kinda a JTS momment, but, it still was a decent show.

... like when they tried to do a spin-off of M*A*S*H showing life after the war. It didn't work.
Really? I never was into that show, but that does sound like a bad idea, Lol.

Um, but there were still new episodes of PPG after the movie.
Yeah, I used to catch a glimpse of a couple of them eps, but never fully watched them. The animation wasn't the same, and the designs looked all funny. The same went for the newer episodes of Dexter's Lab. Now...those episodes really SUCKED altogether.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The same went for the newer episodes of Dexter's Lab. Now...those episodes really SUCKED altogether.
Dexter was the most popular Cartoon Cartoon back in the day, which is why they ressurected him for new episodes... they probably wouldn't have sucked if Genndy Tartakovski and his team did the new episodes, but they were working on Samurai Jack at the time. Not only was the over design and animation for the new episodes lack-luster, but the stories were inconsistant with the original episodes, like Mandark talking about how he first met Dexter when he still acting like his parents wanted him to (and still went by the name of Susan), but one of the very first episodes clearly showed Mandark as new student in Dexter's class who automatically clashed with him. Same with how Mom and Dad met - both versions of the show told different stories.

When a show is put to rest, it's a bad idea to try to bring it back... it just doesn't work. A lot of fans wanted one more season of Courage the Cowardly Dog, but we never got it... if they did another season today, it wouldn't be right, as the show has already be put to rest, and bringing it back for new episodes would be awkward and confusing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I used to catch a glimpse of a couple of them eps, but never fully watched them. The animation wasn't the same, and the designs looked all funny. The same went for the newer episodes of Dexter's Lab. Now...those episodes really SUCKED altogether.
Some of the episodes were pretty good, actually. There was one ex-Ren and Stimpy person (Chris Reccardi, I think) and he just made episodes about how stupid the mayor was. There were other episodes he did in the past that were much better.

The point is that if you have a series without the guidance of the creator, then it will really start to suck BIG TIME.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember back in the late 80's, they tried to make brand new Beany and Cecil episodes for ABC. John K. was one of the writers and cartoonists and Billy West even voiced Cecil. But it only lasted 5 episodes and was canceled fast.

Xerus

Reaction score
I saw the Spongebob special. And I saw how they said Spongebob has become a cartoon legend just like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

At first, nobody thought a cartoon about a kitchen sponge would catch on, and now look how popular Spongebob is to the world.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And I saw how they said Spongebob has become a cartoon legend just like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.
If SpongeBob can be considered a "cartoon legend", then I think Steve D'Monster should be ranked up there with Kermit the Frog and Elmo. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
If SpongeBob can be considered a "cartoon legend", then I think Steve D'Monster should be ranked up there with Kermit the Frog and Elmo. :stick_out_tongue:
Hey... any cartoon show that lasts a full SEASON nowadays should be considered a Legend. Fraggin' Parental Groups and greedy incompetent network heads... grumble grumble.

I remember back in the late 80's, they tried to make brand new Beany and Cecil episodes for ABC. John K. was one of the writers and cartoonists and Billy West even voiced Cecil. But it only lasted 5 episodes and was canceled fast.
Oh yeah. mainly because ABC gave it a really crappy time slot.

A LOT of cartoons have come back from being canceled. Family Guy being the most popular example, and we ARE getting Futurama back (with the original cast, thank you very much)... and of course, Scooby Doo had so many series it makes my head spin. Any show can come back not too long after cancellation... it just works better with the original cast and creators. I wish they kept Billy West for Disney's Doug, though....If not for Doug, than certainly some other characters...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey... any cartoon show that lasts a full SEASON nowadays should be considered a Legend.
I digress - most cartoon series these days last for four seasons, and a total of 52 episodes; only do cartoons genuinely bomb (Sheep in the Big City, Mike, Lu & Og, etc) when they last maybe a couple of seasons at best.

Xerus

Reaction score
That would be neat. And maybe they'd make a Tickle-Me-Steve doll! :smile: