1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, May 14, 2008.

1. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I think season three is the best one so far!
  2. heralde Well-Known Member

I totally agree, I think Season 3 is really where the show started to find its footing and become the Muppet Show we know today (though the first two seasons were still good).

Though, I'm still debating buying the actual DVD, but that's another issue. Glad everyone likes it!
  3. frogboy4 Inactive Member

The special features aren't as good as I'd hoped but having the entire season three episodes at last is worth it for any Muppet fan. My thoughts - wait till you find a good enough deal and then snatch it up! :)

Personally I think 26 bucks on Amazon is darn good. With tax and shipping that'll work out to a tad over one dollar per episode and special feature inclusion. ;)
  4. heralde Well-Known Member

I agree, thank you! :)
  5. ploobis Well-Known Member

Here is a list of my favorite musical momments from the 3rd season of The Muppet Show! :)

1. "She Was One of the Early Birds" by Gonzo (from the Leo Sayer episode)

2. "I Don't Wanna Set the World on Fire" by The Singing Firemen (from the Roy Clark episode)

3. "Witch Doctor" by Marvin Suggs & his Muppaphone (from the Gilda Radner episode)

4. "Once a Year Day" by Boppity & The Monsters (from the Alice Cooper episode)

5. "Sentimental Journey" by Gonzo & Kermit (from the Loretta Lynn episode)

6. "The Rhyming Song" by Fozzie, Scooter, Annie Sue and Link (from the Loretta Lynn episode)

7. "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Robin (from the Merisa Berenson episode)

8. "Do-Re-Mi" by Kermit,Annie Sue, Scooter, Fozzie, Robin, Beauregard and a Whatnot (from the Merisa Berenson episode)

9. "Jamboree" by Gonzo (from the Requel Welch episode)

10. "Octopus' Garden" by Robin, Kermit & Piggy (from the James Coco episode)

11. "Eight Little Notes" by Rowlf (from the James Coco episods)

12. "Catch a Falling Star" by Wayne (from the James Coco episode)

13. "Honeysuckle Rose" by Zoot & Floyd (from the Harry Belafonte episode)

14. "Mack The Knife" by Dr. Teeth (from the Lesely Ann Warren episode)

15. "Aquarius" by The Whatnots (from the Danny Kaye episode)

16. "Tuxedo Juction" by Bobby Benson's Baby Band (from the Elke Sommer episode)

17. "Lady Be Good" by Floyd, Zoot & Dr. Teeth (from the Sylvester Stallone episode)

18. "Blue Skies" by The Prarie Dogs (from the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans episode)

19. "A Four Legged Friend" by Jim & Jerry (from the RR & DE episode)

20. "There's a New Sound" by Scooter (from the Cheryl Ladd episode)

"AND THERE YA HAVE IT" :D :sing:
  6. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Is Big bird in this sesaon?
  7. ploobis Well-Known Member

Yes, He was in the Leslie Uggams episode. :wisdom:
  8. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Sweet thanks dude!
  9. ploobis Well-Known Member

No problem, Fellow Muppet Fan! :)
  10. David French Member

Some answers to the queries about the order:

The episodes are being presented in production code order - each show was assigned a number from 1 - 120 (if you've read Of Muppets & Men you'll know that Linda Ronstadt's was show 119). One of the key reasons for discrepancies in character appearances is of course due to the fact that the production order is not the same as the recording order; some episodes were recorded out of order which sometimes results in characters being introduced even though they've already been in one or two episodes (Scooter being one of the obvious examples).

In the case of Annie Sue I suspect that this is what has happened here - Kris and Rita's episode was recorded before Leo Sayer's which is why Annie Sue is already established in one episode despite being introduced in another.

Same thing for Cheryl Ladd's episode - the production code for her episode is 72, although her episode was one of the first to be recorded for that year.

Oh, and with regards to the strike...

The ITV blackout occurred in late summer/early fall 1979. Filming for the Muppet Movie began in early 1979.
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Problem is, even they wanted to put more onto it, and couldn't. There were too many stumbling blocks due to copyrights. I can't remember all of it. I know a NASA call from Pigs in Space was cut, since NASA didn't want to give it to them, or they asked for more than could be offered. Same with another special that was to be on the DVD.

It would have been great to see more, but it would have been even better had these copyright road blacks didn't hamper any of it.
  12. Super Scooter New Member

Ah. Thanks. It just seemed kinda weird that they had such a long hiatus there.

One of the things I really enjoy about this season is seeing some of Steve Whitmire's early work with the Muppets. He was already very talented when he started, wasn't he? It's neat to hear all these voices and one-shot characters they gave him right off the bat. :zany: <---like Winky Pinkerton... oh, and all the rest of the penguins premiere this season! Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

:wisdom: It's also kind of neat that each season has it's own sort of feel to it so far. The first season was very much gag oriented, the second season I think Jerry Juhl and the writing staff were trying to focus more on actually developing the characters more, and then in the third season it seems like they have liscence to do almost anything they want. I love it that they did alot of odd stuff in this season (like the train station, and not ending the final musical numbers until the end of the credits). So much fun!

And who else thinks that the guy behind the curtain that Kermit keeps talking to, but you never actually see is one of the greatest characters around? :insatiable: <---sounds kinda like Cookie.
  13. Erine81981 Active Member

You did know that's Frank Oz doing all those. I can picture a Muppet Monster being behind there helping Beau and Beaker setting up the scenery. But that is really funny to hear that voice.

Also i've found my favorite episode so far. It's the Train Station one just becuase it's differnt. I wished that they would have done some others in seasons 4 and 5. That's what i would loved to see.

Like them have it at some mall or maybe an old barn out near where maybe Piggy grew up or Annie Sue. That would of been funny to see but i'm glad i'm getting to see these for the first time.
  14. Super Scooter New Member

Yes, I know it's Frank. The character is just so funny!

"Are we ready back there?"
    "Who wants to know?"

Classic!
  15. peyjenk New Member

Some random Peyton thoughts on the season 3 DVDs:

-The fuzzy cover is not exactly hideous, but is a good imitation of it.

-The Muppets sitting in the theatre seats picture is a cool idea, but has been done so much better so many times before. It is better than what I could have done, but the quality, lighting, and focus of each individual character is so different that it doesn't really pull together very well.

-Haven't watched the special features yet, but they sound great! (I'm saving them for last :))

-Leo Sayer was one weird little guy.

-The menus are spectacular... much better than the previous season's menus (although I liked them, too!). Kermit and Piggy are consistently a great pairing. I also really like the way they use the TMS arches to frame each episode. Very classy, very Muppety.

-It is interesting to note how differently each celeb reacts to the Muppets. Kris Kristofferson could barely make it through "Help Me Make it Through the Night" and Rita Coolidge acted like she didn't know who or where she was, Roy Clark seems to be having the time of his life but is unsure of exactly what he's supposed to be doing, Marisa Berenson holds her own against Piggy, and James Coco seems like a Muppet himself.
  16. uppitymuppity Member

Peyton - I love your observations about how the guest stars interact with the muppets. I thought Gildna Radner was a natural with them and Raquel Welch seemed very comfortable as well - she was practically naked dancing with a giant spider and somehow made it look easy.
  17. peyjenk New Member

Yes, Gilda and Raquel are great, too. You can kind of see a trend: throughout the series, the comedians and actors usually do very well and the singers and dancers tend to be a little more wooden. Of course, there are exceptions. I think that Bob Hope seems a little lost, while Linda Ronstadt acts like she's been doing Muppet stuff her whole career! :)
  18. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I haven't bought it yet, because my birthday is in a few weeks and I can't think of very much else that I'll want (besides money). But the last two nights I have had dreams about epsiodes from this season. In the last two nights I had dreams about the first two shows of the season.

By the way, how mnay epsiodes feature that Frank Oz-voiced character who doens't appear on-screen? I know that he can be heard in the introduction for Octopuses Garden, and one of Raquel Welch's number,s but were there any others?
  19. RedPiggy Well-Known Member

The amusing thing about his "premiere", IIRC, in the Liberace one, is in an interview (which I either saw or it was on one of those interviews on Muppet Central or somewhere), Steve thought he was going to get fired his first day on the job because that one little scene took hours upon hours. :eek:
  20. ploobis Well-Known Member

I was just watching Bobby Benson's Baby Band from the Elke Sommer episode and I was wondering, Do ya think they used real toy instruments in the recording studio to record the BBBB songs?

The music really sounds like it was played by toy instruments. I enjoy the BBBB music and I laugh at the same time. The idea of an all Baby Band playing classic Big Band songs is hilarious!