1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, May 20, 2005.

?

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

1. Oz was great

57 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Oz was good

91 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Oz was disappointing

64 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Oz was awful

35 vote(s)
    14.2%

1. MuppetCrazy

MuppetCrazy Member

Wow....I am amazed that so many people are bashing the movie. Sure, it wasn't the greatest Muppet program that's ever been done, but what were we all expecting? I would imagine that not many of us TRUE Muppet fans had very high expectations for this movie. And lets be honest, since Mr. Henson's passing, how many of the movies actually were stellar. Overall, the movie was amusing and we should all be thankful that someone is willing to put something out there for us Muppet fans.

The movie was fine. It was witty, even hilarious at times. Some of the voices are a little off, but when you don't do anything with the characters for so long, what can we expect? I watched it all with my girlfriend and my two brothers. We all enjoyed ourselves and will be looking forward to anything new Muppets!!!

:)
  2. HPDJ

HPDJ Member

There is a poll on the "Best of" "Worst of" thread for worst Muppet Oz moment. Please vote! :)
  3. Dr. Bombay

Dr. Bombay Member

Overall I would give the movie about a B-.

Ashanti's "acting" was horrible! It really was getting on my nerves.

But I loved how the movie was filled with Muppets and how Piggy seemed to be back in her true form, being a real girly pig. I liked her scenes with the Munchkin rats.

I also liked that the Electric Mayhem was in the movie though I really REALLY miss them having bigger parts.

But Pepe was the best!!! I was in stitches practically every time he spoke, especially when he said, "But even better, I'm naked, okay!"

I hope the next Muppet movie is better cast in the human department and that Rowlf especially is in the movie...I miss him! And I want the Electric Mayhem to have a bigger role in the future movies.
  4. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

I don't know what to think. If anyone tells me what to think, they will be PM spammed. Instead, here's a random list.
    • Pillows
    • Phone
    • Zebra
    • Regular bra
    • moisture
    • :crazy:
    • fuzz
    • End
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

"the horror...the horror"-Dr Bunsen Honeydew toward the end.

This is without a shadow of a doubt the most embarassing, horrific, and grotesque excuse for a Muppet production ever. It was literally like watching a car accident replayed over and over.

Maybe it was the beheadings...seeing Kermit and gonzo dismembered and strewn about...or Johnny and Sal trying to make a snuff film(the plastic sheet, again, extra tacky) that crossed the line. Maybe it was Rizzo saying "I think I feel a b**chslap coming on"....but if this isn't the final nail in the coffin, the spear of Loninus in the side... for our beloved pals I don't know what is. There is no ressurection, there is only this shell of what once. Clearly th emagic is gone folks, as the butterflies and awe I once felt is all but gone.

And was it me or did Jeffrey Tambor look like the grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan when he first appears at the podium? And my goodness, the wizard cgi was just plain bad...tho not as bad as Shanti going through the motions with this one. I really am scratching my head wondering how JHC, if they really are still consulting, let this one pass.

The spoof of the post 9/11 Threat Level advisory warning, opiate reference, Girls gone Wild, online music pirating reference, and the closing where we get to see the Muppets as themselves was ok(as well as the brief Quentin Tarantino thing) but my god. This makes Kermit Swamp Years and all those bad early 90's Bean Bunny straight to video specials look like Lord of the Rings. One thing I must commend the performers on: No more having to wonder 'hey, who the heck is performing Fozzie/Piggy/etc". The voices for the fill in roles like Scooter and Sam Eagle were spot on, more spot on than theyd ever been...and there is no denying Eric Jacobson *IS* Frank Oz now.

Maybe I fell asleep right before the telefilm started, and hallucinated seeing a really beyond bad production...and everyone else saw something else. As all I know, I just witnessed one of the worst post Jim Henson attrocities ever.

I hope no non Muppet fan tuned in...as seeing this 2 hour holocaust is enoug h to convince anyone the Muppets are long dead. I'd have to say this was far harder to sit through than even Cinderelmo...and a sheer embarassment to the JH and Muppet legacy. I highly respect Kirk Thatcher and the Muppet performers...but this just was not cool. And Eisner, in that superstiticial with the Muppets halfway through the film...with his beedy little eyes, laughing at us, the audience...for wasting our Friday night watching this.

I'm not saying under JHC this would have been any better(odd seeing JHC's logo at the end) but the proper thign would have been to have never made this stinker to begin with. As far as Im concerned, this is the Abu Ghirabe prison photos of the Muppet legacy.
  6. dan

dan New Member

Theres 2 hours I'll never get back

This movie was just frankly not very good. The script was really weak, the songs were mediocre at best, Ashanti was terrible and obviously not into it, and we didn't get to see and spend time with a bunch of the Muppets we love.

The sets weren't good either. Everything seemed so dark. The CG stuff was totally unneccesary and from a story standpoint I'd love for anyone to tell me what the Poppy Club thing had to do with anything. Very disappointing. REALLY talented people worked on this movie, but man, if you don't have a good script, you're dead.

I REALLY want the Muppets to play themselves!!! They are far more interesting as they are than they could ever be as someone else.

I loved the Muppet Xmas Movie (besides Whoopi and the other humans.)

Let's get back to what works: KERMIT is the main character and the others are his supporting cast. Humans take the backseat to the Muppets.

I hope they don't make "Muppets in Wonderland" like I heard they might if this movie was well received. It would be exactly like this. Not good.
  7. HeraLirambar

HeraLirambar New Member

Some more comments:
    -Am I the only person here who wasn't fazed by the decapitation scene? I guess since I knew they'd be alright in the end it didn't get to me.... okay, it weirded me out a bit.
    -So much slashy subtext!
    -I will be quoting Pepe for a while now.
    -I hated/was bored by almost every song.
    -I just might have to be west!Piggy next Halloween. That is the coolest outfit I've ever seen her in.
    -Crazy Harry is cute.
    -Did Miss Piggy promise to give her dog one of Ashanti's bones, or did I hear wrong? If I heard right, to me, that's the most disturbing part.
    -Wah! Want more Electric Mayhem!
    -I did not even notice Rowlf was missing for the most part. Somebody whack me with a blunt object.
  8. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

First off Rizzo said WITCH slapped. It was a pun. I don't know why you thought it was ***** slapped. It was a funny joke in a PG movie.

Seeing Kermit and Gonzo torn apart was a little disturbing put it is part of the story. I give them credit for actually doing it instead of wussing out. Besides, it's an evil wicked witch. What would you have her do?

Again, this is a wicked witch and her evil crew. Obviously they have to take joy in their evil. So Jonny using the tarp makes sense and it is actually within his character. She's a wicked witch and they are evil henchmen. They have to do evil things.

Now, if you thought this movie had disturbing stuff you should watch the other movies. In GMC Kermit has a gun held to his head! And he was a living breathing frog in that movie, not a scarecrow that can be taken apart or a robot. In the Muppets Take Manhattan Kermit was hit by a car. In the Muppet Movie he was hunted by a murdeous gun for hire. Talk about crossing a line...

Tambour did not look like a KKK member when he stepped up to the podium. He looked like a guy with a green wizard hat on. Just because the KKK decided to go with the wizardl ook doesn;'t mean wizards can't use the wizard look. I find you compariosn offensive and you have to be a pretty twisted person to think that.

How would you have done the wizard scene? Would you have them build a giant dragon puppet for a low budget TV special? Would you have them make a head of fire? Honestly, how else would you have them do it? They used CGI because it was avaiable and it worked. Also, it fits with the whole fake wizard thing. The wizard is basically using special effects so the CGI worked wit that.

I think a lot of complaints here are just al ittle too harsh and not valid. Ashanti was a bad actress, but the actual events wre not as bad as many have made them out to be.
  9. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Again, how would you have done the Wizard scene with a tv special budget?

The poppy club was their version of the poppy fields from the book and the movie. Do you know nothing about the story? It's there to stop them from reaching the emerald city. It's like a test to make sure they don't make it. They made it a club to make it more modern and to give the EM a chance to get some screen time.
  10. HPDJ

HPDJ Member

Good to see so many views!
  11. Johnboy

Johnboy New Member

Fun muppet movie! not the best but that honor goes to the original Muppet Movie with Muppets Take Manhattan but still a nice remake of the classic movie Wizard of Oz.

I thought Miss Piggy was kind of bad to be the Wicked Witch of the West, she's much better as the Good witch, but anyone else thinks that Aughra from Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal would have been a better Wicked Witch? now that would be gold.

Speaking of Disney and Jim Henson with Wizard of Oz! anyone remembered the last time Disney with Brian Henson and Dark Crystal producer Gary Kurtz did a "Oz" movie of their own?
  12. Lynnette

Lynnette Member

What are your thoughts about Miss Piggy as a brunette in the photos of the premiere of "Oz"? :)
  13. HPDJ

HPDJ Member

I like Piggy's new hairstyle.
  14. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Ooooooookay!

Here comes the great, and only Beauregard to have his say.

So far it's approximatly a 50/50 like and hate. So there must be some redeaming moments. Those who hated it, take a moment to go back in your mind and search for them.

Second-of-all. Don't blame this movie's rubishness on the fact it is post-Jim. It is the post-Jerry films that have been rubish, MCC, and MTI worked.

Third-of-all. I would be very interested in a basic run-down of teh mvoie, complete with quotes, if anyone can spare a few minutes for us poor English Muppet Fans.

Fourth-of-all.....I dispice pepe.....;)

Fith-of-all. I also like Piggy chocolate-brown hair style.
  15. Man, what a disappointment...well, what should I expect once I learned that Miss Piggy would be playin' all 4 witches anyway (I wish they would've made Janice one, Camilla another one, and maybe Annie Sue or some other female Muppet the 4th; there's a picture of Janice as Glinda in "The Muppets Look & Find", and she looks so great and funny as that).

I was much more optimistic at the beginning cause I like Queen Latifah and Pepe is freakin' hilarious (he's my official favorite "new Muppet" now), but once the film got goin' some more and his part was lessened it just didn't measure up. And was anyone else creeped out that "Dorothy Gale" cared about bein' SEXY?! She's a kid! And here she is in revealin' clothes and likin' the whole "hot mama" look...okay, maybe Ashanti is at least 18, but still...weird for a family film to have the role model for young girls wanna be all sexed up.

Funny stuff here and there, and I did love some of the settings (forest and Witch castle), but I agree that Ashanti can't act, and there was so much left to be desired and things that could have been much improved; and would a few lines by the band in Poppyfields been too much to ask??

I give it 2 out of 5 Electric Mayhem members...(Janice & Dr. Teeth)

:smirk:
  16. Johnboy

Johnboy New Member

Yeh they could have used another muppet for the Wicked Witch or maybe a Creature Shop muppet for one.

But what if Aughra played The Wicked Witch instead of Miss Piggy? now would that be cool?
  17. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

But it wouldn't fit with what they were doing. They were 4 pig sisters, not a pig, anne sue pig, a chicken, and a human like character. So no, it owuld not be better if Janice played a witch and Camilla already had a role set. Plus she can't talk, so what kind of witch would she make? And Aughra is not a Muppet character owned by Disney. She is a creature shop puppet owned by the JHC.

Seriously, these are some odd complaints now.
  18. Lynnette

Lynnette Member

Mixed Feelings

I'm pleased that the powers that be addressed our needs to see our classic Muppets in present day (I'll even include as classic the ones we first met on "Muppets Tonight"). I'm grateful that so many of these characters were included in a 2-hour TV movie - a LOT to compress into the time allotted and still have a story. The characters we know behaved according to their established personalities - so no surprises or disappointments there. It's good to have that stability. Everyone is going to have preferences for seeing more of each of our favorite characters - but I'd bet that would happen if we even looked back at The Muppet Movie with fresh eyes!

I appreciate that "Oz" appeases those of us who know more about the Muppet-y world than the average viewer. You begin to realize how much we Muppet geeks know when you have a conversation with someone who would, hmmm...let's see, probably never seek out a Muppet messsage board. Kermit's cute reference to Frank Oz for example. Or, the fact that we would recognize Dave Goelz front and center on the screen at the end of the movie. We get these little kicks out of noticing things that may pass by the average viewer. It's similar to when there are adult jokes that fly right over childrens' heads - whether in the Muppets or the Simpsons. It's like we feel a little cooler and more connected when there's that special bit that we "got" and others didn't. I really like that those in charge of these productions do this for us. To me, even when they aren't intentional "winks" to the long time Muppet fans, these actions indicate that we fans are thought of as important and valuable to the continued success of the Muppets.

The show had cute and clever parts that were pleasant but, overall, the show was neither good nor bad. I'm glad I didn't stay home on Friday night to watch it in real time. Ashanti is a pretty Dorothy and has a good voice but her acting was lacking. The conference room scene with Quentin Tarantino's cameo seemed out of place and useless in moving the story along. Costumes were great (even Tin Thing's cell phone: why not! We hang them off our ears - why not off our noses?!). I liked the rats as Munchkins - especially when they carried Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion out of Poppyfields.

I probably shouldn't even say this and it's not quite fair to "place blame" on one person but find that I haven't been impressed with Kirk Thatcher's work. I enjoyed his effort as MC during MuppetFest so it's nothing personal. I just notice that when he has major involvement in writing and directing roles with the Muppets, the results aren't that great. Things just seem a little off. I could go on with more specific examples but it's just not worth it. It's just something that I seem to notice and, admittedly, can't quite put into words. (I already stated it wasn't quite fair of me.)

I know I can get a munchkin house on eBay but can I get a Flying Monkeys leather jacket?

Well, as Pepe said in the line he stole from me, "I'm so gosh darn sexy it hurts." (Though usually not a big Pepe fan - but Bill B. has to do something, doesn't he?)

-Lynnette
  19. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

I didn't watch the whole movie.I caught the scene with Piggy as the Good Witch,kissing & chatting with the rats/munchkins.Piggy's voice is so bad.When they told Tattytoo(whatever good witch's name was,wasn't Glinda like the original movie) that her sister was killed;Piggy just shrugged it off,oh well I have other sisters. I just turned off the tv after that & went to sleep,didn't think it could've improve after that scene.
  20. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Question: Is there magic in the film?

Much magic?