Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
I got mine yesterday. I'm up to the Florence Henderson episode. I really love the picture quality, very good. I have seen pretty much all the episodes recently(when CTS in Canada was airing them) but I'm still enjoying them. I won't lie and say I'm not disappointed with the cut songs, but I understand why. Luckily, I still have some of them on video(which I will eventually convert to DVD), so it's not a total loss.

Oh, and for the record, my box was fuzzy. :smile:

Squigiman

Reaction score
I picked up my copy, as soon as the FYE across from my Disney Store opened, yesterday, and the set is really terrific. I like how you can't really tell, at least so far, that something was cut, if you didn't already know. Sorta makes me wish I didn't know. Ignorance is bliss, right? Still, not too pleased about the skating posers on the back. What's up with that? Sure, some of the main characters were a bit ugly in season one, but it's authentic. They should be on the discs, too. The poser Kermit head plastered everywhere is really obnoxious.

I'd much rather they just have Steve put his hand in and pose, because it really makes a difference. Just look at the cover to The Works, and you can tell THAT'S KERMIT! It's got life in it. Still miffed about the cuts, but mostly happy to have the material that's there and will search elsewhere for the missing stuff. The promo "Gag reel" was quite disappointingly short, and I hope they go back and realize that, and do something like Mr. Show did, accepting they could put Season 3 bloopers on a Season 4 set, and we'll get the rest as a bonus feature, while the Season 2 promos can accompany their respective episodes as individual bonus features. All in all it's a terrific set, but could be so much greater, still.

-Squigiman

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
Any one else annoyed at the Muppet Studios Logo on the begining of EVERY epsiode? I think that's one thing they could cut...another thing I was watching it and sometimes you can tell exactly where they cut something out. The Bonus Features...I thought a Gag reel would be a gag reel like them cracking up. Not so. :mad: But all in all I love the muppets and that's the only two things that really got on my nurves. I love the little tidbits of triva you can turn on that's a really nice touch. Can't wait for season two and one of my favorite sketches, PIGGS IN SPPPACCCEEE!!! :smile:

somethingofafan

Reaction score
I bought the set the day it came out, and I am extremely happy! The set is as complete as rights issues allowed it to be, and while I am mildly disappointed at the few missed songs, no way am I going to let that keep me from enjoying the rest of the set.

Besides, it's not as though we're talking about a show that airs 100 times a day. This is my first chance in years to enjoy the Muppet Show, and I found the price quite reasonable, the extras quite good. For miffed fans, you should check out a Cosby Show message board (syndication prints, one previously aired retrospective, that's it, and it costs more). I think we Muppet fans should be happy.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
TMS season 1

I bought my box set yesterday,from Target.I've watched disc 3 & the bonus footage from disc 4.The Vincent Price episode looks empty without the closing number.I enjoyed the bonus footage: the sales pitch was awesome,the gag reel was ok,and Sex & Violence was way cool(looks like an early version of Muppets Tonight).The picture looks very nice restored,I've been watching the eps. with the captioning first & then later on again with the morsels feature.Just began disc 1.Was a treat also to see the outside cover of the box front covered with velvet.Only complaint I have so far,afore mentioned,is during the muppet morsels;the stars/kermits face/question mark popping on the screen constantly,I've just been trying to ignore it(morsels are repeated from time to time too).

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Well I bought the box set and Muppets Wizard of Oz which I didn't plan but considering you got $10 off Muppet Show if you bought it at Best Buy I said why not...Anyways, so far I'm really enjoying the set. There's episodes I've never seen in their entirety and even the cuts I've seen so far are tolerable though still disappointed about them doing so. I've also never seen the pilot or the sales pitch so seeing those both was a treat.
My one gripe about the whole thing believe it or not is the box art: I love the Kermit cover but why put current Muppet pics on the box and discs? I'd love to see some "retro" Muppet pics, you know pre-moveable eyelids Gonzo. :smile: But overall glad to see it's finally out..

I'
Phillip Chapman said:
With The Muppet Show Season 1 set to release next Tuesday August 9, here is our review of the release. From the original openings to the cut scenes to the pitch reel, find out all the details of this box set. Post here and let us know what you think about the box set.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/tms_season_1.shtml

If you have any questions that aren't answered here, let us know and we'll try to help.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Florance Henderson Monsters Singging Happy Together,Rowlf Singing winnie the pooh song, Koozabans

Paul Williams I Loved the Hillibilies and Paul Williams Number, Rowlfs Poem was great

Charlie

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
You know what my favorite part is on the entire box set?

The end credits of MUPPET SHOW: SEX AND VIOLENCE.

The camera zooms out and you can see the Muppeteers performing the puppets!!!!!

I've never seen footage of Fran Brill, Richard Hunt, and Jerry Nelson behind the scenes, performing their characters, but now I can!

Ernie101

Reaction score
I didn't get the rebate in MWOO or TMS ... Weird...

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Here are some of my feelings on the set, maybe later this week I'll write it up in paragraph from and make a better review of the set, but here is what I think.

Restored/Remastered: This is the best I've ever seen the Muppet Show look, the video quality is great.

Original Openings: This is great, I am so glad that the original season one openings were used. The closing Zoot shot is not the original but I understand all the legal stuff behind that and except that minor change as inevitable.

Edited Episodes: All the music cuts were made due to legal issues. Disney tried as hard as they could to secure all the rights needed (and they are continuing too do so for the future seasons), but when it came down to it they were unable to get a few - either they were not for sale, or where just too much money for the producers to justify while not making the set cost too much to sell to the general public. It is a shame that a few episodes are not completely 100% intact - but this set is, by far, the best collection released of the show; I hope the future sets are uncut, but if the next four season sets are as good as this one I'll still be happy (its better than what I had a few days ago...which was a haphazard collection of episodes on “Best of” DVDs, and old tape-trade VHSs). I'm excited about the 605+ minuets of entertainment I did buy, and I'm not going to get hung-up on the 10 minuets I am unable to own. I may have lost 6 numbers from the show, but I now have the 24 UK skits that I had not owned presented like this before. It is a shame when stuff like this happens to any show - but I'll live and enjoy the set all the same.

Muppet Morsels: These are great fun and informative. I don't like the distracting images that pop-up over the picture (stars, ????, and Kermit), and there are some formatting/grammar errors. But in the end it is a great feature. I hope to see it on other Muppet DVDs in the future.

Pitch Reel: This is a great piece of film. It is sad that the CBS logo (which is owned by CBS) was not able to be used and thus caused Kermit to be cut. Maybe if they had a bigger budget they could have washed out the logo and kept Kermit in. But they didn't. This reel looses a bit of the punch at the end but is still enjoyable and is better than nothing.

Original Pilot: This is great! I wish there was room for both pilots, and I hope that the other one released on one of the other sets later on down the line. It’s entertaining and historical. I'm glad that the pilots were not totally forgotten.

Promo Gag Reel: This is a nice inclusion, but would have been nice if all 24 promos from the season were here. I don't know if that would be possible (what condidition are the masters of the missing ones in?), but would have been nice to have them all.

Menus: I enjoy the menus. They are simple yet classy. Plus, Statler and Waldorf are great. It would have been nice if more than just four pieces of music were used throughout the four discs (like if all the discs' "episode selection sub-menus looked diffrent and had diffrent music too). I like the vintage pictures (I don't know why Beaker is on the Season 1 set menus though). But they are nicely done. It's better than what many shows get for menus (a simple static image, with music - if you're lucky).

Episode Set-up: There are no chapters within the episodes! For the first time viewing I didn't mind, but I would have liked if chapters were placed after each skit/song or at least though the episode (like after the opening theme and whatnot). It would be nice to be able to jump right to the bit you want to see rather than shuttle though the whole episode. If you want to skip a song or skip to a song you should be able to easily - that's one thing I love about DVDs, but this set made no use of the chapter features for each episode. I hope they decide to put breaks in the future season sets.

Packaging: I love the vintage look; I hate the "modern Muppets" on the package (especially since not only do the characters in this set look different and that they got vintage pictures for the menus.) My main problem is that I've seen those poser pics 110 times before on Muppet stuff - Disney, get some new pictures of the Muppets! However I do love the furry cover. Yet, I do not like the disc arrangement. I hate the over-lapping discs. I don't like handling discs more than needed, and I don't like having to remove disc 1 and 3each time I want to get disc 2 or 4 out and handling the discs again each time I want to put disc 2 or 4 back in the case.

Over all: I love this set. I can't wait for the other four seasons. More bonus features would always be nice, but in the end I think that this collection is great, and it still leaves stuff for the other sets to pick-up. When compaired to some DVD sets (especially other Disney TV show DVDs), the ammount and quality of bonus features is great. But as a fan (and someone who owns some of the more outstanding TV/DVD treatments) I would not object to having more. Over all the set is great.

I hope that the other pilot and "Of Muppets and Men" get a spot somewhere on the future sets. I hope the Muppet Morsels, and Promo Gag reels are on the future sets too. I hope that there are a little edits are legally possible. I hope that the video looks just as great as this set (if not better; if that's even possible), I hope the Jim Henson Retrospective (that got bumped off this set due to space) finds a home on an upcoming Muppet DVD release. I hope season 2 is not too far off. I hope everyone else enjoys the set as much as I am.