1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: TMS Season 1 DVD

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Aug 6, 2005.

?

Because there are scenes edited from The Muppet Show DVDs:

1. I am no longer buying the set

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. I haven't decided yet

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I'm still buying the set

100 vote(s)
    87.7%

1. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

OK, now this is really weird, because I got the fuzzy cover. So did the production lines mess up, or did Disney release two covers (fuzzy and non-fuzzy) and several stores cheaped out? :confused:
  2. Ashmanarion

Ashmanarion New Member

I thought I had read someone say it was fuzzy, but I somewhat ignored it. Not having the fuzzy cover isn't a huge deal for me though.
  3. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

I bought mine at WalMart, it doesn't have the fuzzy cover. However, it looks like it is going to be fuzzy, but when you open the wrapping it's just board.
  4. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I got mine at Best Buy, and it also only looks fuzzy. If there truly is a fuzzy version floating around out there, I guess it's okay with me that I didn't get it. This will fit on my shelf better, and I have plenty of plush Kermits already. Ending up with Muppet Wizard of Oz for just a dollar more than makes up for it!
  5. Phamos818

Phamos818 New Member

my copy is fuzzy.
  6. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Mine was from Futureshop, and it's fuzzy. Not extremely fuzzy, but it is.

So far, I've watched:

Ruth Buzzi
    Jim Nabors
    Paul Williams
    and Vincent Price (with Muppet Morsels on, since I just watched a taped copy of this the other day)
    Also, the Gag Reel
    and the Pitch Reel

Great sound, really great picture, very cool menus. I've only seen a few season 1 eps: Vincent Price, Ben Vereen, and the one with the circus performer. Forget which guest star that is. So everything else is new to me and so far is really awesome.

Bout the pitch reel: I can overlook that last line not being there, as I know it's full contents and have an avid enough imagination to know what it would be like. :) And I'd never seen it before, so I laughed my butt off! Much funnier than I was expecting. Loved how he whips off his glasses when he gets really into it.

Gag reel: Dissapointed of the length of it. I'd already seen half of it on the website, so that ruined it for me. Next time, more would be nice. But nonetheless a neat addition.

Ruth Buzzi: I LOVE SWEETUMS. Just thought I'd clear that up first. The number with her and Sweetums was hilarious and just completely awesome. Loved it loved it LOVED it.

Jim Nabors: Never seen anything of his before, so I thought it was fun. Was shocked at The Wall segment when he sang classically, that was great. And the Thank God I'm a Country Boy number was excellent. LOVE the jugband!

Paul Williams: Gorgeous Musical numbers, all of them. Rowlf's playing piano just seems so REAL, that he is actually playing. Totally wraps me in.

Vincent Price avec les Muppet Morsels: Learned some cool info. I liked how they showed Stars for info of the Guest Star, ??? for general facts, and Kermit faces for Muppety facts. Noticed that in the intro they showed Vincent in the costume and set used in the cut sketch, but that's cool too. Didn't really miss the cut song too much, as I have a full copy I can watch. But overall I found it didn't detract. Which made me happy. :) The episode is still really good without that last number.

Oh, and one more thing: Season one intros?? Holy moly! That was a treat for me, as I've never seen them before today!!! They're really slow and clunky, eh? ;) The s2 intro-on really fit sooo much better. But it's really really special and I'm glad they're there.

My rating so far: 4.9 starts out of 5!!!! Reluctant to give a full 5 here, but every moment so far was completely enjoyable.

Oh, and the punny sketches with the talking houses? I TOTALLY had deja-vu when I saw those. Were those ever on SS, or just TMS? Those were awesome. ><
  7. Dr. Bombay

Dr. Bombay Member

I have just finished watching the first two discs (and the bonuses on the fourth one) and I'm very VERY pleased! Some of these episodes I haven't seen in a very long time and others it feels like I'm going back to see an old friend.

I didn't realize until today that some skits had been cut...I'm especially sad about the "Take All of Me"...I know I have that on another tape somewhere but I wish it were on the DVD with the rest of them...but I understand about music rights issues.

I was also tickled to find that the MWoZ is going to only end up being about a $1.00!!!

All in all, I'm super pleased. :)
  8. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

What, a dollar? You lucky americans. With the 5 dollar rebate, if the rebate is canadian dollars, my MWOO will have cost 14 dollars. **pouts**
  9. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

I haven't watched any of mine yet. I'm watching SAW...

I like dragging things out.. I'm going to take my time and watch the episodes slowly. Then I still have MWOO to watch.

Fun Fact: I have never seen a TMS episode. So, this is ALL new to me. :)
  10. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Know what I JUSt realised? Both Jim Nabors and Pual Williams episodes were missing sccenes. I didn't notice at all, and I loved them. I only know because I was reading MC's first season episode guide just now. Cool.
  11. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I'm enjoy this so much. I love all the episodes that I've watched so far. I know I'll love them all. I didn't get a fuzzy one eather and my "Muppet Morsals" aren't messed up like the review said. At first I was thinking what if I get a copy that has the full version of "Pitch Reel" that would be so cool and then it happened and it wasn't. Oh well I can dream can't I? I'm loving it so much I can't wait for the rest of the seasons. All the info and seeing them for the first time. I have pretty much all the songs on mp3s and hearing them then seeing them is awsome! I LOVE THE MUPPET SHOW SEASON 1 SO MUCH!! YEAAAAAAAA!! *dances around singing theme*
  12. Stulz

Stulz Member

Fuz VS non-Fuz

After buying my set at Best Buy, I went o Traget and saw the Fuzzy version. Persoanlly, I liek the non-fuzzy version better as it matches the rest of the box and will aloow more to fit on the shelves.

Also mine didn't come w/ a mail-in rebate?

Anybody else missing it?
  13. Ashmanarion

Ashmanarion New Member

The Season 1 set doesn't Stulz, Muppets Wizard of Oz has the mail-in rebate.
  14. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Active Member

I noticed in the episode where Miss Mousey sang by Statler and Waldorf, there was a typo in the Muppet Morsles it said "thise pisode was the UK spot, not originally seen in the US" (the e in episode being in a different word)
  15. Stulz

Stulz Member

Oh, OK...

I haven't opend that one yet.. thanks.

Now I can sleep easy.

:)
  16. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

mine frpm Walmart has the $5 coupon in TMS dvd
  17. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy New Member

Still haven't bought TMS yet, can't wait, though! I'm still deciding if buying books for college is more important than the Muppets. :confused: :smirk:
  18. askurow

askurow New Member

I work for a large record company. Everyday you'd be surprised to hear what the legal department comes up with about what we can and cannot release, even down to major songs that have appeared elsewhere recently.

Like others have said, it could be rights, royalties, or just a plain - NO. The reasoning is also this, rights given for a TV show are very specific. The cut numbers can probably air on TV, but once that medium is changed (DVD and Home Video), the rights must be secured all over again, and this time met with opposition or price gouging. It can get very frustrating.

In this respect, I can totally understand why some things were left out of, or altered from the first season.

I received my copy yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly. I loved the fuzzy packaging. Nice touch! I thought it would have been better to have classic Muppet pictures in it rather than the the more recent versions of Piggy, Kermit, Fozzy, etc. But it's what's inside that counts. And it was exactly what I wanted, the original season 1 openers and great episodes I love and am so happy to finally get on DVD.

My advice is to thank Disney for releasing it, to encourage the other volumes to follow, but to give your input. For me, I'd tell them that I'd like scene selections within each episode. I'd like guest star audio commentary or on-camera interviews if they can obtain it. For instance, I'm sure Joel Grey and Florence Henderson would have interesting stories that would have been great to hear.

Tell them, we'd love to eventually get those cut segments one day, even if they are included as bonuses on future volumes.

The important thing is that we got what we wanted, a great collection worthy of having. For $30 bucks (give or take where you bought it at), I have more than half of what Time Life put out at a much higher price.

And, this is just the beginning... :)

Andy
  19. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

Yesterday I bought the set and I'm happy to have it, despite the cuts. Before I bought it, I read a posting at the Muppet NewsFlash site suggesting that the reason why Kermit's line in the pitch reel was cut was because it had the CBS logo. Is that possible? I somehow think it isn't because he used the 'h' word (or perhaps it was a contributing factor). Any thoughts on this?

OI MuppetFan
  20. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Deleted scenes sadden me terribly, but over all, its a wonderful set. The Muppet Morsels are excellent. A lot of stuff I think true fans already knew, but that just made the unknown tidbits that much cooler. I am satisfied with this set, and will definitely be purchasing the rest of the series as it is released. Perhaps, Alex can release the uncut episodes specifically to complete our uncut sets. :)