Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

BEAR

Reaction score
I'm sorry for my earlier post, it just seemed that people were pointing at Disney to blame for something beyond their control. Thats all.

gooball

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have fond memories of The Muppet Show when I watched it in reruns in the very early nineties (I was born in '85), and am looking forward to getting the set. I've only seen one episode (which I downloaded) since my original viewings.

I'm obviously pretty rusty when it comes to the details. But I was hoping you guys could help clear something up.

In the dvd review (http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/tms_season_1.shtml)
it mentions that the episodes feature the 'alternate' closing shot of Zoot (which, if I understand correctly, has been in place for many years).

What I was wondering was is - aside from replacing one shot of Zoot with another - is the rest of each episodes' close intact? I ask because I remember reading a post somewhere the other day (god knows which site it was at...) in which it sounded like - on certain episodes - there was a 'non-stock' (i.e. different to normal) ending and the 'alternate' Zoot shot meant the viewer missed out on the end of a joke, to which you could still hear the laughter and punchline, etc.

I'm obviously a bit foggy when it comes to the question, but hopefully you guys get what I'm asking. Does the different shot of Zoot comprimise the end of certain episodes?

Also, are the rest of the episode closes intact? The statler/Waldorf comments, etc? (http://www.muppetcentral.com/guides/episodes/tms/season1/index.shtml#opening)

edit:
Also, while I'm here.... I heard that the U.S. and U.K. final credits scrolled along different parts of the screen. Aside from this, are there any differences (footage-wise) between episode endings? And which version is on the set?

anathema

Reaction score
gooball said:
Hey guys.

I have fond memories of The Muppet Show when I watched it in reruns in the very early nineties (I was born in '85), and am looking forward to getting the set. I've only seen one episode (which I downloaded) since my original viewings.

I'm obviously pretty rusty when it comes to the details. But I was hoping you guys could help clear something up.

In the dvd review (http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/tms_season_1.shtml)
it mentions that the episodes feature the 'alternate' closing shot of Zoot (which, if I understand correctly, has been in place for many years).

What I was wondering was is - aside from replacing one shot of Zoot with another - is the rest of each episodes' close intact? I ask because I remember reading a post somewhere the other day (god knows which site it was at...) in which it sounded like - on certain episodes - the 'alternate' Zoot shot meant the viewer missed out on the end of a joke, to which you could still hear the laughter and punchline, etc.
Only one show in the season had a 'non-standard' ending - Kaye Ballard - and the original shot isn't included on the DVD.

I'm obviously a bit foggy when it comes to the question, but hopefully you guys get what I'm asking. Does the different shot of Zoot comprimise the end of certain episodes?

Also, are the rest of the episode closes intact? The statler/Waldorf comments, etc? (http://www.muppetcentral.com/guides/episodes/tms/season1/index.shtml#opening)

Yes.

edit:
Also, while I'm here.... I heard that the U.S. and U.K. final credits scrolled along different parts of the screen. Aside from this, are there any differences (footage-wise) between episode endings? And which version is on the set?
There are no significant differences between the two. Occasionally a different take would be used (for example, Statler and Waldorf's closing comments on the UK edit of the Lena Horne show are a different take to the one used on the US edit - same dialogue, different recording) but the basic content remains the same.

The DVD set is a mixture of both UK and US shows.

In general, the UK edits run slightly longer than their US counterparts (UK skit notwithstanding) and often feature an extra comment/joke from S+W after the closing act. The only other major change is in the Vincent Price show, where Uncle Deadly warns that the Master turns into Guy Lombaro on New Year's Eve. In the UK version, he turns into Jack Parnell. The UK version is the one included on the DVD.

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
anathema said:
Only one show in the season had a 'non-standard' ending - Kaye Ballard - and the original shot isn't included on the DVD.
That being said, the new shot of the band sitting the ending out and Kermit waving works well for me in terms of the show's plot - it's not the original, but works well.

I do miss Guy Lombardo, as with Jack Parnell, the ending makes little to no sense.

Squigiman

Reaction score
I, myself, though not complaining about it, per se, am wondering what the deal is with the closing Zoot shot. For me, the original first season openings are a huge treat, and I am justifying so much on them being what's availavble nowhere else, to counter-balance cut footage. However, I am not sure what the issue with the Zoot ending is, especially as it seems this is not the only time it's been replaced. If just the text tag of the Holding Company were added, no biggie, but what exactly was meant to be there, when these shows were originally aired? Otherwise, my main beef is still more with the pitch and for the episodes I can't recall seeing, it's like I'm seeing them for the first time, anyways, so there. Still think ALL DVDs need to drop coming attractions, as they and commercials are big enough pains to sit through, these days, at the theaters. Who wants to big those home? I've seen Chicken Little, Valiant, Ice Princess, The Pacifier, Tarzan II, Pooh's Heffalump Movie, and so much more at work, that if I were to purchase a Disney-owned DVD title, I don't want to know they're encoded onto my Muppets, as well.

-Squigiman

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Has anyone actually CONFIRMED that it's music rights issues that caused the cuts? Where can we send an email to ask questions to those in charge of the set's production?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

anathema

Reaction score
Squigiman said:
I, myself, though not complaining about it, per se, am wondering what the deal is with the closing Zoot shot. For me, the original first season openings are a huge treat, and I am justifying so much on them being what's availavble nowhere else, to counter-balance cut footage. However, I am not sure what the issue with the Zoot ending is, especially as it seems this is not the only time it's been replaced. If just the text tag of the Holding Company were added, no biggie, but what exactly was meant to be there, when these shows were originally aired?
Originally it was a totally different shot of Zoot - see the boxset review on this site for a screencap. One shot was used for Seasons 1/2, and another for 3-5.

The main issue is that there are a number of shows which *didn't* use the 'standard' shot of Zoot, and often the shot used was part of a running gag - for example, the Roger Miller show, where the entire cast including Zoot are turned into chickens, or the Mac Davis show where the theater is overrun with Beaker clones, who take over the instruments and play the closing theme. While obviously it's far too early to say what Disney will do when they reach these shows, it's true to say that all the original shots were edited out in the mid-80s and replaced with the generic Zoot shot that Disney have used on the Season 1 DVDs, so it's highly probable that this will be the case if/when they release the shows.

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
My thoughts on this matter is SO WHAT.......

So what if they cut out a little bit.........there are much more things in this world to make a fuss over than 5 little songs/skits/or whatever is missing.

So what if Disney IS to blame.........what if they aren't.......it isn't that big of a deal. At least they released them in the first place.

I don't see what the big fuss is over. We love Muppets......and FINALLY someone (Disney) is giving them to us all over again. Nothing in this world is perfect.....NOTHING!

So I have pre-ordered mine and I will be excited when it comes in. I will pop me a big bowl of popcorn and pop my NON-COMPLETED DVD set in my DVD player and enjoy every non-complete minute of it!

I am just tickled pink that they released the darn things in the first place. So instead of fussing over a few things missing........go hug your parents/kids/relatives and make a fuss over them instead!

**stepping off soapbox now**

Erine81981

Reaction score
sugarbritchez said:
My thoughts on this matter is SO WHAT.......

So what if they cut out a little bit.........there are much more things in this world to make a fuss over than 5 little songs/skits/or whatever is missing.

So what if Disney IS to blame.........what if they aren't.......it isn't that big of a deal. At least they released them in the first place.

I don't see what the big fuss is over. We love Muppets......and FINALLY someone (Disney) is giving them to us all over again. Nothing in this world is perfect.....NOTHING!

So I have pre-ordered mine and I will be excited when it comes in. I will pop me a big bowl of popcorn and pop my NON-COMPLETED DVD set in my DVD player and enjoy every non-complete minute of it!

I am just tickled pink that they released the darn things in the first place. So instead of fussing over a few things missing........go hug your parents/kids/relatives and make a fuss over them instead!

**stepping off soapbox now**
And that folks is Mrs. Sugarbritchez. I would have to agree with her. The only thing I'm doing just becase this is me. I'll still buy the set and be happy I'm getting someone to record me those episodes that have the cuts on the DVD to have the whole episode. Mostly because I've never seen any of these epsiodes in there aired time or reruns eaither. So please be happy and buy it when it comes out or order it!