Too old for Sesame Street

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And IMO, SS has always been modern to some extent. I mean, in the 70's they did Disco, in the 80's they had Weird Al style song parodies... it's a very hip and up to date show. That's why I never feel ashamed to like it (see, we can weave things back on to the topic). It's just certain segments and ideas that keep it more for the younger audiences.
Oh yeah and there's nothing wrong with that. It's that it seems like in entertainment in general, there's a movement to be "modern" first, than worry about the writing. When it reality I think people still just want a good story. That never gets old. :wink:

I often have to explain my interest in the older episodes to friends who think adults shouldn't watch it. Then there's the SW saying the older episodes are only for adults! I guess it's best to make up your own mind, hehe.

Anyway, I think it's fine to enjoy SS as a grown up. Though my opinion is it should be balanced with older things too. I don't mean force yourself to like bad shows. But think of it this way, as an older person you're able to enjoy even more! Just my opinion of course. :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
It's all in how you think of SS and children's shows overall I think..there are so many layers beyond the first one to enjoy at any age:smile:...
But as DrTeeth and others have said previous (and in other threads), some people--even at very young ages, thanks to their parents and peers--just look at what's in front of them & see merely the surface of the show, which is intended to be a learning experience for children. This is opposite the view most of us Muppet fans have, as we're able to look beyond the age range & see the characters and the show in general for what they've become, an iconic institution!

WAYMOND

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Elmo. That song just gets on my nerves. I much prefer Bert, Ernie, and cookie monster. My toddler loves Elmo and we are forced to watch for hours on end. But I've been working Old School SS into his DVD collection and we have fun watching them together. We also watch TMS and "Follow that Bird!"

wwfpooh

Reaction score
You can be a fan of Elmo, but still dislike the modern approach to the character.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
In any event, I still feel you're never too old for SS.

ISNorden

Reaction score
He use to be one of my favorites:sympathy:
I used to see Elmo as the incarnation of everything that's gone wrong with Sesame Street, until I got hold of some episodes from the late 70s/early 80s. Nowadays, I don't think he's to blame for the changes I dislike; I blame Sesame Workshop's lack of funding, and their increased need to rely on licensed merchandise.

To bring my reply back on topic, though--I have mixed feelings about being "too old for Sesame Street". On one hand, I no longer need to be taught about letters, numbers, geometric shapes, or the benefits of eating nutritious meals with a family. On the other, Sesame Street has still kept its sense of humor and its willingness to spoof popular culture on more than one level...without descending into sleaze. Hopefully, nobody here is too old for the latter aspects of Sesame Street!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Certainly not! The Street's family now.

Erine81981

Reaction score
wwfpooh said:
Certainly not! The Street's family now.
I agree wwfpooh. I've always enjoyed watching no matter how old i am. I watched it even as a teen going to school and talking about. But during High School (which i still liked Sesame Street) but i didn't get to see it because it came on the time i was in school so i went from watching SS to watching CN which had the newer cartoon cartoon characters. Johnny Bravo, Dexter Lab., and Cow and Chicken. But then when i found this site i was like....this is so awsome! I have other fans who enjoy what i like and then when i found out about 34 season. Thats when i started watching SS once again. But i would have to say if you like and don't mind others looking at you with weird and pointing fingures. Then watch it like a Yellow 8 foot bird would. Sitting down. Unless you like to stand watching shows but that's not me. :wisdom:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I used to see Elmo as the incarnation of everything that's gone wrong with Sesame Street, until I got hold of some episodes from the late 70s/early 80s. Nowadays, I don't think he's to blame for the changes I dislike; I blame Sesame Workshop's lack of funding, and their increased need to rely on licensed merchandise.

To bring my reply back on topic, though--I have mixed feelings about being "too old for Sesame Street". On one hand, I no longer need to be taught about letters, numbers, geometric shapes, or the benefits of eating nutritious meals with a family. On the other, Sesame Street has still kept its sense of humor and its willingness to spoof popular culture on more than one level...without descending into sleaze. Hopefully, nobody here is too old for the latter aspects of Sesame Street!
...And the storyline that runs though an episode IMHO :smile:. At least the older ones.. many of them are very good I think :excited: Many of the songs and the cartoons just for their own sake are nice to :smile: