Deja vu all over again

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I really think McCain's first sign of encroaching senility was putting her on his ticket
I wasn't impressed by Palin but I was also very disapointed that Obama didn't have a female VP. So many other countries in this world have already have female leaders. What is stopping us? Both parties always end up seeming like good ol' boys clubs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wasn't impressed by Palin but I was also very disapointed that Obama didn't have a female VP. So many other countries in this world have already have female leaders. What is stopping us? Both parties always end up seeming like good ol' boys clubs.
I feel the reverse. McCain clearly chose Palin BECAUSE she was a woman, and ONLY because they wanted to steal votes from female Democrats who were ticked off Hillary didn't become the party's key nomination. If She was, McCain would have chose an African American running mate. Simple "enemy of my enemy is my friend" double dealing.

OH yeah. Which is why it absolutely baffles me that the rest of the Repubs (some of whom may actually have brains) are letting them run roughshod over the Congress ever since the last elections! David Brooks on the Newshour last night called them "rejectionists"...good term. They don't actually stand for anything useful, especially not to their presumed blue-collar constituency, and yet they got elected, and continue to make a big noise without offering up ANYTHING even vaguely resembling a workable solution. They're an Anger Party of the Ignorant, and I have zero respect for any of them or their allies
They're doing what Boss Limbaugh told them to do, make Obama fail. They have been uncooperative, whiny, juvenile, and basically worthless contradictions. They are union busting scum that let Bush have his way with spending and wanted a patsy to blame all the things they would have done again on the last guy. They don't want to balance the budget... they want to kill anything that gives the dying middle class a helping hand, but keep all the very same pork and waste they keep whining about... not to mention all the corporate favors that DON'T create jobs at ALL!

Long story short, someone NEEDS to raise taxes. You can't make budget by cutting everything under the sun (except subsidiaries and horse insemination), especially since the last guy blew through a surplus and brought us into excessive debt with his stupid war legacy all the while refusing to tax the oil and war toy industry that profited from them.

Now people are asking the questions they SHOULD have asked about how are we going to pay for anything, but didn't because they were blinded by false patriotism and freedom fries. And Republicans wonder why people hate them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I feel the reverse. McCain clearly chose Palin BECAUSE she was a woman, and ONLY because they wanted to steal votes from female Democrats who were ticked off Hillary didn't become the party's key nomination. If She was, McCain would have chose an African American running mate. Simple "enemy of my enemy is my friend" double dealing.
Of course it was. I just think Obama could have quashed the Palin stuff quicker, IMO, had he chosen a female VP of his own. It makes a heck of a lot morse sense for the progressive party to have a female VP candidate after all. Again I ask what is stopping us?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course it was. I just think Obama could have quashed the Palin stuff quicker, IMO, had he chosen a female VP of his own. It makes a heck of a lot morse sense for the progressive party to have a female VP candidate after all. Again I ask what is stopping us?
Nobody likes Hillary Clinton. Not even the Democrats. but she was picked to be secretary of state by him. So that's something.

What people seem to forget is that Joe Biden and Hillary weren't exactly lovey dovey to Obama back in 2007. Joe criticized the heck out of him, Hillary wanted to get the nomination. I say he was a mensch for managing to give those guys jobs. I'm surprised he didn't give a position to McCain at some point. McCain ONLY picked a female VP nom (which he clearly got watching the puff piece on her on PBS) because that was a way to take angry woman votes. Again, had Hillary gotten the nod, McCain would've got some black guy to take the votes from Angry African Americans who would've felt betrayed if Obama didn't get the nomination.

Obama picked Biden for one simple reason... if anyone remembers, he was getting a LOT of flack for not having a lot of experience. Experience = old guy. If he did pick Hillary, McCain would've picked someone even older than himself to get the angry at everyone younger than them old guy vote. Simple little game.

Historically speaking, it's white guy, black guy, woman, younger generation. That's the EXACT order of who got to vote. It makes sense politically that it follows the same format.

I do get what you're saying. Everybody's bad, but you might as well break a barrier at least.

I think SNL summed up women in politics with the infamous Hillary Clinton/Sarah Palin skit. I can say no more than that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Historically speaking, it's white guy, black guy, woman, younger generation. That's the EXACT order of who got to vote. It makes sense politically that it follows the same format.
Though we still haven't had a Jewish President. And the one time we had a Catholic President, he had to prove he wouldn't be "too" Catholic. Oh yeah, we're a tolerant country...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Though we still haven't had a Jewish President. And the one time we had a Catholic President, he had to prove he wouldn't be "too" Catholic. Oh yeah, we're a tolerant country...
Considering half the crap Obama got (the "go back to Kenya" stuff) is it any wonder why we'll probably never see anything besides white protestant males?

No one wants to just grab people on the issues... they make personal attacks, passive-aggressively if they don't get who they want. If we have a woman president, do you think we'd have that much maturity.

No greater barrier would be broken if we had a Hispanic lesbian Jewish president... but there's be enough "Git back in dat Kitchen" stuff ALONE (I'm not going into any of the other stuff) would tear a great rift.

personally, I don't care... most likely no matter what gender, religion, or whatever, they'll probably suck anyway.

I've noticed something...most people who claim to be tolerant aren't completely tolerant, and the intolerant people usually call the "tolerant" people out for being intolerant, basically saying "Only WE have the right to be intolerant, and you're bigoted if you don't accept our intolerance!" The only way to be completely tolerant is to tolerate intolerance... meaning you have to respect the intolerance of others. Who wants to respect being hated for something?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Considering half the crap Obama got (the "go back to Kenya" stuff) is it any wonder why we'll probably never see anything besides white protestant males?
Oh yeah I know, it was embarrassing that those rumors lasted so long.

No one wants to just grab people on the issues... they make personal attacks, passive-aggressively if they don't get who they want.
Which I think just proves how few politicans truly are competent enough to lead.
personally, I don't care... most likely no matter what gender, religion, or whatever, they'll probably suck anyway.
LOL, yeah seriously let's not forget, no matter what they'd still be politicans. :wink:

The only way to be completely tolerant is to tolerate intolerance... meaning you have to respect the intolerance of others.
True, which has its good points and bad points. Sometimes we have to tolerate certain view points because we wouldn't want them to censor us in turn. So as weird as it seems, by tolerating them, we're protecting ourselves.

On the other hand, I don't like it when there's clearly oppression going on in the world and people take the attitude, "Oh but we must tolerate them." Um no, I will not tolerate oppressors.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh yeah I know, it was embarrassing that those rumors lasted so long.
Not even so much the rumors. There was A LOT of racist crap floating around. My "favorite" was the poor photo manipulation that made him look like a 1920's blackface stereotype (complete with melon) with the caption "Lordy, I sho love campaignin'!" that was all over facebook. Plus there were certain politicians singing Obama the magic N word.... and they tried so hard to cover that one up.

If Hillary got anywhere, we'd get nothing but "Git back in Mah Kitchen an' make me some babies" comments. Jewish politician... well, we'd either get Zionist comments or something much darker. I will say about a very small percentage/fraction of this is pure racism... the rest of it is passive agressive "I didn't want HIM/HER!" type comments.

Which I think just proves how few politicans truly are competent enough to lead.
Not just the politicians (they at least get to mangle the other side's issues to sound sinister), but a lot of the angriest voters who voted for the other guy. That's why I'm sure so many lefties were hating on Christians at the time... Bush was one. But then, you'd have to hate on ALL the presidents. They ALL were. Even the one that was a different kind of Christian was Christian.

LOL, yeah seriously let's not forget, no matter what they'd still be politicans. :wink:

True, which has its good points and bad points. Sometimes we have to tolerate certain view points because we wouldn't want them to censor us in turn. So as weird as it seems, by tolerating them, we're protecting ourselves.

On the other hand, I don't like it when there's clearly oppression going on in the world and people take the attitude, "Oh but we must tolerate them." Um no, I will not tolerate oppressors.
I respect what I can. Every culture, even our own has an eye roll in there. I do NOT tolerate oppression of any kind either. I don't tolerate violence towards ANYone... I don't tolerate any culture of any kind that forces people to grow up to be murderers or thugs... and I certainly have no respect or want to listen to anyone who rationalizes any nasty behavior like that by finding excuses and loopholes in religious texts. I don't hate certain religions in general (Doomsday Cults are exceptions to the rule)... I hate things about them (or lack thereof) being used to rationalize oppression.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't hate certain religions in general (Doomsday Cults are exceptions to the rule)... I hate things about them (or lack thereof) being used to rationalize oppression.
People in general are just very good at rationalization. Religious use texts to justify violence. The Communists used ideology to do the same.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back to the subject...

SERIOUSLY!

The Peepee pants party WANTS us to default. How stupid IS this country? They want a worse economy because they don't want the wealthy that exploit them in every way possible to pay anything?

Again, message to the US THEY AREN'T HIRING! THEY'RE TAKING YOUR JOBS OVERSEAS AND STEALING MONEY FROM THE TILL TO DO IT! Give THEM the bill for the wars, they didn't send any of their fatso spoiled kids over there.

But hey, what do you expect from a bunch of people who are enamored with a politician that says the government is taking away imaginary rights, who signed a pledge to limit marriage... a same pledge that says African American babies were better raised when they were slaves.

GAWD... I'm freaking gonna learn French or something so I can leave this dump. The right has officially started the dangerous swing to the super far right.