Fraggle Rock Region 2 DVD to be released in April

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Luke said:
The French version already came out so selling it there will clash with that - did they use Gerry Parkes for that or the original French presentations ?
I belive that they used the French Doc in those.

If they used the UK version for this release. Then I would be disapointed if they did not release a US version with the "Real" doc (seen from my perspective :smile: ) so that it would be possible to see those different "outer space" scenes there are.
I belive that they might be a UK only release, just as "The Very Best Of The Muppet Show" are.

I don't think it would be a good idea to let the fans do commentary as an extra. It just sound wrong in my ears.

RugbyTiger

Reaction score
3 UK lighthouse keepers

Hey Warrick and everyone,

I hate to correct you, but Fulton Mackay was definitely replaced twice, once by Simon O'Brien, then, as established in the 'fraggle reunion' thread,we think, John Gordon Sinclair. I'm *pretty* sure Gerry Parkes NEVER made it to terrestrial TV and was only on Nick n' Disney Channel who opted for the better continuity US version.

I actually think alot of people are gonna be pretty annoyed and confused if the lighthouse isn't in these DVDs- I think from talking to people, it would be the second thing after doozers they remember as the titles featured it so prominantely. Doc is gonna flummox waaaaay more people than Fulton is. It's for this reason I'm thinking the british eps will be on this disc (shame, cos fulton was as boring as heck in those eps....)

Take Care,

Jamie B

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah I remember he was replaced when he died, Now you said that I kinda have a glimmer in my mind of the next guy turning up at the lighthouse (must have been O'Brien) and his interactions with Sprocket but that must have been just before the point I stopped watching. From what I remember he was very good although a bit young. I thought Fulton added a certain something to the show but I guess to really young kids he would have come over as a bit boring. I would expect these discs to follow what was shown on terrestrial TV as that would have been the biggest audience, so if they can include Fulton it'd probably be a better release for the UK nostlagia crowd. We'll definitely get the Parkes versions with the Region 1 releases anyway so they'll come in time.

beaker

Reaction score
So can we finally rejoice that Fraggle Rock is indeed coming to dvd? Or is it not official(as in, on MC's front page) until a North American release is secured? For me, it's gotta be the doc. His performance in "change of address" was absolutely *rivetting*, and brings me to tears every time I See that episode.

Luke

Reaction score
It's on the Columbia projected release list (although that can change or be delayed) but yes this is the first ever official English language Fraggle Rock DVD so IMO deserves some coverage on this global site. I would guess a North American release depends on who Henson sign up with as their new distribution partners. If they re-sign with Columbia then maybe the UK 'Fraggle' disc is a test to see if there is a market for Region 1 stuff to be made. If they go with Disney or Viacom then pretty much anything could happen but eitherway it would probably be about a year away.

anathema

Reaction score
Luke said:
Just to point out to others as it probably wasn't clear - Columbia Pictures were part of this RCA release so it makes it easy for Columbia Tristar to access them very easily again for DVD without having to do very much. Thats why I have a feeling we'll see these versions again but we'll see.
Those releases were almost 20 years ago - there's no reason to suppose that the original rights negotiations still stand today. I suspect that anything CTHE want to release now would have to be cleared anew, so they could potentially release any of the 96 shows :smile: But as you say, we'll see!

beaker

Reaction score
Luke said:
If they go with Disney or Viacom then pretty much anything could happen but eitherway it would probably be about a year away.
Well Luke...I just have to rely on a once popular 80's british mod rock song, "How Soon Is Now?" by the smiths

"And you say it's gonna happen now
But what exactly do you mean?
See, I've already waited too long
And now my hope is gone"

Actually, those lyrics can be said about a lot of JHC things.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
That's good, but not great since it's not in the US :frown: I would certainly consider buying it if it came stateside, but my money is pretty tight right now to pay for importing.