In Development: Henson's Fraggle Rock Movie

movielad

Reaction score
I wonder, though, if this is going to financially feasable as a 35mm film production? Would Henson consider doing this shot on HD or 2K digital and then up/downscaling where appropriate to film? It would certainly make post-production that little bit cheaper (until it came to printing it to film, but that's what's got to happen until theatres start going digital en masse).

I'm quite wary of this announcement, and while I loved the Fraggles 20 years ago, things have come along way since then and don't want to see the spirit of the thing destroyed just for the sake of making a film.

M.

BEAR

Reaction score
movielad said:
I wonder, though, if this is going to financially feasable as a 35mm film production? Would Henson consider doing this shot on HD or 2K digital and then up/downscaling where appropriate to film? It would certainly make post-production that little bit cheaper (until it came to printing it to film, but that's what's got to happen until theatres start going digital en masse).

I'm quite wary of this announcement, and while I loved the Fraggles 20 years ago, things have come along way since then and don't want to see the spirit of the thing destroyed just for the sake of making a film.

M.

No..the world NEEDS this film right now. I am almost certain Jim would want these character put to good service again.

movielad

Reaction score
I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T be made (although I am still sceptical at this stage - I would like to be proved wrong, please), I'm just concerned it could be made for the wrong reasons. I just hope that they don't concentrate on making it too fancy beyond what is good for it. I don't want to see this sort of thing in becoming a souless thing in the hope that they'll make tons and tons of money by doing very little in return.

M.

mrsieve

Reaction score
DavidRock said:
This is soo good to hear. It'll be cool to have the Fraggles back. :excited::excited::excited:

This may sound a bit stupid but do they have a set of real puppets they always use and they'll re-use them again for the movie or will they make new ones?

They'll be making new ones. From my understanding the original Fraggles were destroyed by moths or close to it.

beaker

Reaction score
Wow.

While Disney seems to have locked the Muppets proper up and thrown away the key, its good to see two of the Muppety franchises(Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock) will be celebrating.

A Fraggle Rock movie, with fraggles in the real outside world...could be the best thing since Muppets Take Manhattan. Muppets are the coolest when they are in the outside world, outside theatres/backlots/studios.

beaker

Reaction score
BEAR said:
No..the world NEEDS this film right now. I am almost certain Jim would want these character put to good service again.
I agree. Like T he World According To Sesame Street documentary shows, were living in a world ri ght now where something like th is is imperative...true perveyors of world peace and understanding.

Big Bird Fan said:
I'm not getting excited until I'm sure this is being done right. The Fraggles have been off the air for a LOOOONG time. To me, that just means they'll be more things that can go wrong.

Plus I'm a big believer in ending on a high note, which is the series did. I'm worried a movie might ruin things if it doesn't turn out right.
I understand what ya mean...the final episode of FR brings tears to my eyes to this day. BUT...we never saw much of the Fraggles after the show eneded, cept for brief cameos. With a Muppet movie, yeah we all want it to be perfect...but just the prospect of a theatrical Fraggle rock movie...over a quarter century later, is too cool for words.

superboober said:
Sounds interesting. I'll need to know more about plot specifics before I fully commit to seeing it, so anyone who finds anything mroe specific out, please post them here.
The movie could take place entirely in a Home Depot and I'd travel hours to see it on the big screen:smile:

DavidRock

Reaction score
mrsieve said:
They'll be making new ones. From my understanding the original Fraggles were destroyed by moths or close to it.
Ahh, thats quite sad actually. Hopefully the new ones will look fantastic.

I agree it'll be cool to see them interact with humans and in the outside world especially as they'll be small. :wink:

I just anticipate any sort of return, I was worried they might make it a CGI movie what with the current fad of those but obviously Fraggles are and always will be live...and the best that way. :excited:

wes

Reaction score
DavidRock said:
This is soo good to hear. It'll be cool to have the Fraggles back. :excited::excited::excited:

This may sound a bit stupid but do they have a set of real puppets they always use and they'll re-use them again for the movie or will they make new ones?
David they'll probably make new one's from the old patterns, When Muppetfest happen I read that the fraggles had basically discentigrated, foam doesn't hold up good for over 20 years.

Wrong info above. I read this Artical from Billboardit states and I quote:" The original Henson puppets will be refurbished and updated for the film, with little expectation of computer-generated enhancements."

Faylo

Reaction score
^ And she looks as good as ever! : )

Oh man, I am so excited for this movie. I told the two kids I babysit (who are nine and ten-year-old fraggle rockers) yesterday and they were so happy. Now I have an excuse to wear my Red Fraggle costume in public! LOL