American Idol

ceecee

Reaction score
So what did everyone think of the Barry Mannilow songs? I wasn't all that impressed. I wish someone would have sung "Copacabana."

My top picks are LaToya, George, and Jennifer.

I think either John or Diana will go.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I also predict Diana or John this week. I wasn't overly impressed by George this week, but I still thought he was better than the judges said. I didn't think John was as bad as the judges said either, but he doesn't seem to be able to make his renditions anything but bland. I thought the show was pretty good overall but I was a little disappointed that I only recognized three songs. I think Latoya would have to be my favorite. Fantasia and Jennifer were both really good but seemed to go a bit over the top. I thought Diana didn't start all that great but she really hit it home at the end, and Jasmine was better than she's been in weeks. I'm also a little surprised no one sang "Copacabana"; maybe it'll show up as a group performance tonight. It seems like they aren't doing those as much this year, though. But then I've missed the beginning of a couple results shows, so maybe I just haven't been seeing them. I think it's pretty cool that Barry Manilow both worked extensively with them and came in as a judge. His specially tailoring the songs to fir the contestants' styles was really neat.
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I agree with you guys. It's probably either Diana or John's week, though Jasmine is always a possibility too. I thought she had a better night last night than she has in a while, but I'm never really connected to her as a performer.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I agree about Dianna or John. I'm really on the fence about it. I wish they could just both leave together.

I wasn't too impressed by Barry Manilow night. But that's probably because I can't stand him in the first place.

I felt so bad for my Paula having hand problems. Apparently she got an infection from a manicure gone awry. It was quite serious as it had gone way deep. :frown:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Dr. Bombay said:
I felt so bad for my Paula having hand problems. Apparently she got an infection from a manicure gone awry. It was quite serious as it had gone way deep. :frown:
Yikes. I hope it heals up ok.
Erin

GonzoGirl

Reaction score
It seemed like something was just missing from the show without JPL, atleast to me...I really thought Diana should have gone home on the last show. I agree that it'll probably either be her or John to go tonight..I really liked John, but he just doesn't seem to have enough experience to go any further; Diana is just starting to annoy me...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I'll definitely miss John, but I think it's getting to the point where he ought to be going. They had a big AI article in USA Today about the prospects of Idol contestants, and they didn't seem to think anybody had much chance at sustaining anything. Although Clay has sold 2.5 million albums, "Blender" editor Craig Marks said he "probably won't have a lasting and meaningful career." Then again, this is from the magazine that ranked "Sound of Silence" among the 50 worst songs of all time.

On another page, USA Today's Edna Gunderson graded eight former contestants (and William Hung) on sales, airplay, artistic merit, and celebrity value, plus gave them an overall grade and a written evaluation with what they "need to improve." Kelly and Tamyra got the best overall grade, a B+. William Hung got an A+ for celebrity value but still wound up with a D. Clay got an overall grade of B, which included a C+ in artistic merit. :frown: That may be saying more about his songs than his voice, though; she said he needed to "reduce the cheese level and steer toward edgier, younger material." Why can't they just let him be himself? :attitude: That's a big part of why so many people like him.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Oh, man, I cannot believe tonight's show! This is nuts!!!! Poor George, he didn't know what to do. Obviously Ryan was setting him up. Everybody was sure which group was which. I don't get it. Maybe everybody figured all three were safe so nobody bothered to vote. Or they voted for whoever they figured was in greatest danger of being voted off. It's crazy. If it was down to those three, I think they made the right choice, but none of them chould have been in danger. This just goes to show how flawed the voting system is.
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Okay, that being said... Wow, what a surprise! Not prepared for that. Isn't wasn't nice to set George up like that... Plus it just says to the other contestants "Everyone knows you're not as good as these three." I think this will really make people get out the vote next time, and not rest assured that people are safe. I'm so relieved that La Toya's still in it though. I'm counting on her! She's so talented!