Any Green Acres fans here?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's a one of the "rural" comedies from 1965. As the spin-off of "Petticoat Junction", Green Acres is about a New York lawyer named Oliver Wendall Douglas (played by Eddie Albert), who dreams of being a farmer. With that, he abandons his luxurious life in a Park Avenue penthouse, and moves himself and his sofisticated wife Lisa (Eva Gabor) to a run down farm in the middle of Hooterville. The show has simple, yet unpredictable comedy. Other characters include: Con artist Mr. Haney (Pat Buttram), Oliver's simpleton hired-hand (Tom Lester), pig farmer Fred Ziffel, and his nagging wife Doris (Hank Patterson and Barbara Pepper), their pig of a son Arnold (Arnold the Piggy), idiotic County Agent Hank Kimball (Alvy Moore), and the bumbling carpenter brothers, Alf and Ralph Monroe (Sid Melton and Mary Grace Cannfield).

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes and sadly in 1971 CBS decided to do away with all their "rural" shows, so "Acres" got cancelled. It had still been doing great in the ratings. Wow wouldn't that have been great if it went ten seasons?! And I'll bet it STILL wouldn't have jumped the shark. The NEXT year after that it would have jumped, however, because Hank Patterson (Fred Ziffel) died in 1975. :smile:

MrsPepper said:
No, I mean the show, actually... I'm so sorry.
Nothing to be sorry about Mrs. Pepper (other than missing out on some huge belly laughs, that is. :big_grin: ). Besides, the show IS about 40 years old. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
D'Snowth and you other "Green Acres" fans, take a look at jumptheshark.com and the comments on "Green Acres". 80% of people voting say it never even jumped the shark. That's a super high percentage. Just about any other show I've seen has a majority of people specifying a time it jumped the shark. A great testament to the greatest show of all time! Also, the comments themselves give extremely high praise to "Green Acres" (And I do mean EXTREMELY!) A lot of fun reading some of those. Just like it's great at this site reading all the praise and appreciation to Jim Henson and the muppets and the rest of the SS cast and crew!
And now you might want to check out the latest entry on "Green Acres" at jumptheshark.com. I think you'll be able to tell who submitted it. :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's you, because I remember you saying Fred Ziffel was your favorite.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes. And just wanted to ask you if you might be mad at me or just not care for my posts anymore. Just kind of sense there may be something wrong. But you don't have to comment if you'd rather not. It's ok either way. Thanks. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not mad at all, in fact, I've noticed (recently at least) that you haven't been around as much as you usually are. Sorry if it seems like I've been ignoring you, but you got to remember we're not the ONLY ones here at Muppet Central. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks D'Snowth. And absolutely, there are tons of great folks here. I enjoy and appreciate talking with all of them, as you do. My concern was only that perhaps I myself wasn't likable to you anymore. But glad that's not the case.
Okay, since this is a "Green Acres" thread let me quote something that would be relevant to the subject:

Indian: "Quiet or me hit you with homatawk!"
Oliver: "Tomahawk!"
Indian: "You Indian?"
Oliver: "No."
Indian: "Then don't tell us."

Oh, and at the end of this show when the chief eats one of Lisa's hotscakes:

"(Holding his stomach) Ooooh! Squall good looker, poor cooker. Me go find medicine man!"

Ziffel

Reaction score
Season 3 at last !!!!!!

Just checked TVshowsondvd.com as I've been doing nearly daily and FINALLY the good news of Green Acres season 3 coming on dvd! They say Sony is planning a December 6th release date. So it could be just a little more than 2 months to wait! "Green Acres" is my favorite sitcom of all time, so I am really excited and jubilant at this news, as I'm sure D'Snowth is too.

*High fives D'Snowth!*

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
YAY! I just wish Rocky and Bullwinkle would be released like this instead of one season a year. By the time the final season of Rocky and Bullwinkle is released, I'll be in college! Anyway, season 3 of Green Acres has several of my favorites including "Arnold, Boy Hero"

And just for you Ziff, I watched that ep last night, and couldn't help but think of you when Mr. Haney caught Arnold using his phone, and he asks "Sarah, who was Arnold trying to call?.........Now who does Arnold know in Philadelphia?"

Ziffel

Reaction score
Haha yes, that's neat. Maybe he was trying to call me. It was a 1968 episode so I would have been born. :smile: Hilarious also how Haney tried to even get money out of a pig ("Ten cents a call. No IOUs!")
For season 3 I especially am looking forward to "The Rutabaga Story" (I LOVE how Fred Ziffel says, 'The Rutabaga Bowl'!), "Our son (Eb) the barber", and the two part episodes of the Douglas's taking Arnold to Hollywood to be an actor. And it will be great having all of them unedited, of course.