Any Green Acres fans here?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Eat Hootersveele, Root-a-beagers!" Which season was it where Oliver takes Arnold to Chicago to claim his inheritance?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes Lisa in that hot air balloon saying that line over and over was great too!
Then Oliver later repeatedly said, "That was the most stupid thing you ever did!".

Looking in my trusty Hooterville Handbook I see the Chicago episode is a 2 parter from season 5 ("A Tale of a tail" and "You and your big shrunken head." ) The second one is one of about 6 that I never got a copy of on vhs, either due to an error on my part (like setting the vcr to the wrong time or channel) , a power failure, or the network skipping an episode. A couple I don't have that I don't think I've ever even seen are "The Blue Feather" and "King Oliver 1". From the first two seasons I lacked "The Ballad of Molly Turgiss" and "Getting even with Haney", but I own these on dvd now, of course. I have all the season 3's except "Love comes to Arnold Ziffel" where Arnold and Mr. Haney's "basket hound" fall in love with each other. But I have definitely seen that side splitting episode!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
EB: Go-o-o-o-lly Mr. Douglas! It's our 40th anniversary!
OLIVER: What "40th anniversary"?
EB: We've been on the air for 40 years now!
OLIVER: What air for 40 years?
EB: And TV Land is given us a marathon today for the occasion!
OLIVER: TV Land?! Eb, why don't you get back to work?
EB: Sorry Mr. Douglas, I'm too busy watching the "40ths Anniversary Green Acres Marathon!"

That's right, today is a Green Acres marathon, in honor of their 40th anniversary on the air!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Woohoo! Happy 40th Green Acres! For those of you who haven't ever seen the show and have TVland, get your vcrs ready!

And now season 3 is available for pre-ordering at a 30% discount at Amazon (due out December 6th). Wow, now I've got "The Jeffersons season 4" , "Green Acres season 3", and "The Electric Company" coming to me! C'mon "All in the Family" season 5!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Just checked tvshowsondvd.com and they have the picture of the box. Purple packaging. Pretty cool. And very fitting that season one's color was - green. :smile:
Too bad there is still not going to be any special features. Wonder why so many movies have bonus features but so many tv shows often just have the shows on the discs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A purple case? Hee-hee-hee-hee! That's okay, I really like purple, dispite the fact that people say it's a gay color. Anyway, I agree that the Green Acres DVD's should have special features. I understand the M*A*S*H DVD's don't have special features either (except for that option laugh track bit).

Ziffel

Reaction score
Season 3 now in my hands!

And I now have that purple cased season 3 of "Green Acres"! Was delivered to my mailbox this afternoon by a man in navy blue. :smile: Yay!

I skipped to episode #27 out of 30 on season 3 so could watch "The Rutabaga Story" first. Eat Hootersville rutabagas! And in one scene I liked how Oliver referred to Fred as just "Ziffel" instead of the usual Mr. Ziffel (since just plain Ziffel is my name here at MC :big_grin: ). After the rutabaga one I watched the next one (#28), "Instant family". A hilarious epidose where a woman with six kids goes into labor so Oliver and Lisa watch the kids for a few days. Boy the writers sure gave Oliver relentless aggravation in this one!
And from Sam Drucker:

"Oh, I'll take you to the hospital! Oh wait, I don't have a hospital! I mean I don't have a hospital to take you to the car!"

And in the hospital the nurse to Oilver:

"You expecting fathers are all alike."
Ollie: "Oh no, I'm not expecting a father. I mean..."

And there was a scene I never saw before where Oliver calls the kids in to have lunch and they stampede in and knock him down. That's one of the great things having the dvds. Complete shows. So I'll often get to see a scene or two I hadn't seen before. My next viewing I'll watch the last 2 of the season (#29 and 30). A two parter with Arnold Ziffel in Hollywood. Then I'll probably watch the other 26 in order. I just wanted to see "Rutabaga" first. Love that one. Ziffel: "Hello, CBS? Yes I'd like to order 12 of your cameras for the Rutabaga Bowl. Six slow motion and six of those instant replay ones. Huh? For the Rutabaga Bowl here in Hooterville. Hooterville! (To Mr. Douglas) Would you tell this guy I'm not drunk?"

Yes, D'Snowth, this show is a real HOOT!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the uncut version of "Arnold, Boy Hero!" "Instant Family" is another great one, especially at the drive in!

Ziffel

Reaction score
lol lol lol yes, the drive in scene is so funny. Especially the part where he keeps getting out of the car to look for a kid, Lisa, Ralph, etc. and then they come back while he's away. Finally when Ralph comes back and says, "Now where's Mr. Douglas? I better go look for him" I love how Oliver then comes back and grabs her saying, "Where are you going" She says, "Well I..." Then he says, "Get back in!" The other scene I always liked was when the camera kept showing his car going back and forth on the country road (he had to take all six kids to school at different times and then by the time he was done with the last one he had to go pick up the first one. As I said, in this particular episode the writers were relentless in the aggravation they dished out to Mr. Douglas!).

Ziffel

Reaction score
Interesting too about the "Instant Family" episode, the only regular supporting cast members to appear were Drucker, Ralph, and Eb. No Haney, Kimball, Mr. and Mrs. Ziffel, Arnold, Alf, Kiley, etc. Rare to have that few co-stars. Perhaps it also happened in the 6th season when the group of city kids visits the farm.
Also, in this show Eb says the words of the title to the kids: "Welcome to Green Acres".

And just checked to see if anyone ziffeled me. Nope. Pretty interesting that this Green Acres thread is one that NEVER has a ziffel pulled!