Any Little Shop of Horrors fans?

SlamPot

Reaction score
raysgal said:
I found the deleted, unpopular ending here: http://www.alanmenken.info/downloads/downloads1.html
Thanks for that link! I'm waiting for it to download now! 54 percent completed...
I worked in Lyle Conway's animatronics shop in Pinewood Studios, London, building Audrey II for the musical film. We were all horrified when they asked to come back and do the reshoot. Frank Oz hated doing it as much as any of us. Millions of pounds of work was scrapped. We never got to see the original director's cut ending. So you can imagine how keen I am to see it!

raysgal

Reaction score
SlamPot said:
Thanks for that link! I'm waiting for it to download now! 54 percent completed...
I worked in Lyle Conway's animatronics shop in Pinewood Studios, London, building Audrey II for the musical film. We were all horrified when they asked to come back and do the reshoot. Frank Oz hated doing it as much as any of us. Millions of pounds of work was scrapped. We never got to see the original director's cut ending. So you can imagine how keen I am to see it!
Wow... :big_grin:
That's really cool that you were part of that stuff. I never thought I'd run into someone who was actually part of one very wonderful movie.
I don't think I could imagine the work that goes into doing something like a movie reshoot, but I do have to say that I'm absolutely grateful it was done. After watching this ending I was happy they went with the happy ending than the one where everyone dies.

Rowbes

Reaction score
raysgal said:
Wow... :big_grin:
That's really cool that you were part of that stuff. I never thought I'd run into someone who was actually part of one very wonderful movie.
Not just ONE wonderful movie. Slampot also worked on Labyrinth. I wonder what else...

SlamPot

Reaction score
Rowbes said:
Not just ONE wonderful movie. Slampot also worked on Labyrinth. I wonder what else...
They're the best movies I did - at the Creature Shop I also worked on The Witches, The Ghost of Faffner Hall and The Storyteller. That's all, I think.
Little Shop wasn't a Henson production, but Frank used a **** of a lot of regulars from the Henson shows. We were all freelancers.

Amazing to see the missing ending. What cool model work! Richard Conway must have been gutted when all that went onto the cutting room floor!

The released film is a real dog's breakfast. I particularly hate the extra alley scene, after Seymour runs away from the news crew. Audrey and Seymour are just standing and reciting reams of clumsy plot exposition at each other. The scene was only put in to tie up all the ghastly loose ends when they hacked out chunks of the movie.

They didn't want to pay for reshooting the whole of the final battle between Seymour and the Plant, so that's why Audrey has to hide outside and peer through a non-existent window at the action: She was already dead when that scene was shot!

The movie soundtrack album had already been released - uncut, so it was too late to butcher it. It has whole songs that aren't in the movie.

Rowbes

Reaction score
yeah, I love the movie soundtrack. I hate that they shortened "the meek shall inherit" in the film, because Seymore's soliliquy in the middle of it is my favorite piece of music in the play. So it's fun to hear Rick sing it on the movie soundtrack.

SlamPot

Reaction score
Yes, "The Meek Shall Inherit" is a great number - one of my favourites.
All you get in the movie is the beginning of the intro and the end of the outro, slapped together in a sort of frankenstein cut-and-shut. I was like: "What happened there? weren't we getting a song?" - Then it's the next scene right away - like it never happened!
Boy, do I know those songs! I listened to the stage show on tape on the way to the studio, then listened to the movie tracks - often just the same few lines round and round - all day - for 14 months! (That's the early R&D period in Lyle's Uxbridge shed, the main shoot and reshoot, both at Pinewood.) And I still have "Some Fun Now" as my ringtone! ...I think my brain is permanently damaged.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, I downloaded the links but it only shows about 2 minutes of footage or so. Is that the case with everyone? I have a tape with the complete original ending of the movie, and what they show on the site is only as much as until AudreyII is abotu to eat Audrey I.

Rowbes

Reaction score
you must have had an error downloading. My file is 22 and a half minutes

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Mine is the same, 22 and a half. Try updating your QuickTime Player Kevin.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
For those in/around Toronto, a special production of Little Shop to benefit the People With AIDS Foundation here is running March 23-26.

For details visit http://www.littleshop.ca