Are there any others with disabilities here?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think what Squeek meant was that her brother doesn't say those things, like everyone else does, and that's part of what makes him special to her.
Oops! Sorry :stick_out_tongue:! I missed that line because my learn disablity put me on autoread 'OMG' mode at those lines...
I've had some teachers say them to and it is just awful:sympathy:

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Oops!
Did not mean to give you a wrong mesage, Red!
Thanks for the save, Alex. :smile:

I totally understand, Red.
Some people say that all the time.
Especially when at home.

So, it can be pretty hurtful when some people throw insults at a time when you're most crushed.

My brother's gentle nature is the best medicine for me, really.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Downs-Syndrome tends to run in my family, but something really precious happened the other day at my grandmother's funeral mass. A second cousin of mine - Nora - who has Downs (she's in her late 40's/early 50's) was talking with my uncle, whose 7 year old daughter also has Downs. Nora saw her and got rather excited, and asked "Is she an angel too?" My uncle only laughed, but it was the sweetest thing. Because Nora is right. People like her are angels in disguise, sent from God as gifts that will teach us a whole heckuva lot about love, patience, and dealing with adversity.
That is a sweet little story, sweetie!:smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
:smile:

I have no disability.
But I can appreciate the pressure some deal with--who do have that.

It's more of a gift than a burden--not that it ever was to me.
Autistic/physically impaired people actually teach the ones who are namely "normal" (rolls eyes) something very special.

My brother is the only person in the world who keeps me alive.
One point, I was in a situation in which I will not be specify, and my brother stopped me from doing that action.

He just took my hand and said "Claudia, I love you, sister. Why you doing that?"

He's saved me from the worst situations ever.

I remember a time when I was beaten up by a group of people in the school. I came home crippled. He just looked at me and said "They did it again, sister Claudia?" And he just gave me a hug.

If I am really sad...
I turn to my brother.
I lay on his stomach and cry.
He's the only one who never says

"Grow up, Claudia!"
"Stop being such a victim, what are you, 6?"

He sees me as something special.
We are like twins...
We really can never be apart...
and if we are...
We get REALLY sick.

So, point is.
These amazing people teach you how to humble, loving, understanding, and make you twice as stronger than any other man/woman.
I remember you telling me this, Claudia. Your brother is an extraordinary person!:smile:

anytimepally

Reaction score
I have CP as well, but I was extremely lucky, as it's one of mildest cases on record, due to where the brain damage occurred.. you can certainly tell that I don't walk quite right but little else is affected... my cousin, who also had CP, was not so lucky and spent his entire life in a wheelchair, unable to talk and for the most part unable to move, before dying before his 8th birthday.. my CP is also the reason that I always use the stairs instead of elevators, because I always think, a little more to one side or the other, and I wouldn't be able to use the stairs at all, so I always do b/c I'm lucky enough to be able to

and, like heralde, I also have OCD.. I mean seriously.. have you ever seen Monk? .. remove the phobias, and that's me :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I love Monk! I watch it ever morning!:smile:

I have to say that after reading about what some people go throughcompared with what I do, it all of a sudden makes my problems not seem like there not as bad as they could be.

But here what I posted on the other thread. I saw that one before I saw this one.http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=12913&page=4

I have have had (I would say "suffered from" but it's such a negitive word, you know?) tourette syndrome sense I was a kid. My doctor gave me this medicine with a lists of tow whole side effect from it. But my dad and mom found a lists of side effect a couple of pages long. Oddly enough not to long after this my doctor quit his profession and went to law school.:wink: True story

Xerus

Reaction score
Good for you :big_grin:! It is a lot of work, but I was able to pass high school to, which is more than I can say for some of my friends with not troubles what so ever..And now I have over 75 units done :excited: . You've just gotta keep going the best you can :smile:
Thank you. It wasn't easy, but I'm glad I was able to get through high school. My autism makes me uncomfortable around loud noises or rowdy people. Plus I don't really like it when schedules or places I'm used to get changed. And I can sometimes have emotional breakdowns. Other than that, I'm pretty happy and I got a caring family and friends who accept me for who I am.

And good luck to you too!

BEAR

Reaction score
Well, it does indeed affect reading, but my guess is it would also be kind of hard to do math, written math anyway, if you can't read the numbers correctly.
As for me, some will know that I'm visually impaired. I have light perception and contrast, which basically means I can see light and shadows and basic shapes, but not much else. When I'm watching TV for example, what I see is the light of the screen, with shadowed shapes moving across it.

Hmmm, there was another thread like this a long time ago. I didn't post in it then, but I forget why. Maybe if I bumped it up, Ed or Kevin could merdge them?
Kate, this is the first I've actually heard of this from you. I had a feeling you were atleast partially blind from that time I met you last year at my show, but I wasn't completely sure. Nice to learn something new. By the way, I really enjoyed meeting you then. Such an amazing surprise. My only MC friend I've met in person!:smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Kate, this is the first I've actually heard of this from you. I had a feeling you were atleast partially blind from that time I met you last year at my show, but I wasn't completely sure. Nice to learn something new. By the way, I really enjoyed meeting you then. Such an amazing surprise. My only MC friend I've met in person!:smile:
Wow that is neat you got to meet her in person. And neat whenever I've heard of such a thing here. Like fuzzygobo and Mokeystar met, I believe. And I recall Fozzie Bear saying he met Whatever once. And I think TOGA and Prawnie met (maybe many times even, since they live in the same state and maybe fairly close by within that state).

It's just so cool to hear when that happens. I mean, people are people. So meeting someone in person from here would still be similar to simply meeting a new person at the job, school, church, or in the neighborhood (HEY! WHO ARE THE PEOPLE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. SAY, WHO ARE THE PEOPLE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. THEY'RE THE PEOPLE THAT YOU MEET EACH DAY!). But yet, there'd be something tremendously neat and fascinating about meeting someone from here. I guess after only going by the words of posts and avatars and nicknames,etc. and then to see and hear that person in real life right in front of you is just so cool. Plus, having had that person as a friend here before adds to it. Kind of like the priniciple in the old days of getting to meet a penpal in person.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Wow that is neat you got to meet her in person. And neat whenever I've heard of such a thing here. Like fuzzygobo and Mokeystar met, I believe. And I recall Fozzie Bear saying he met Whatever once. And I think TOGA and Prawnie met (maybe many times even, since they live in the same state and maybe fairly close by within that state).

It's just so cool to hear when that happens. I mean, people are people. So meeting someone in person from here would still be similar to simply meeting a new person at the job, school, church, or in the neighborhood (HEY! WHO ARE THE PEOPLE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. SAY, WHO ARE THE PEOPLE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. THEY'RE THE PEOPLE THAT YOU MEET EACH DAY!). But yet, there'd be something tremendously neat and fascinating about meeting someone from here. I guess after only going by the words of posts and avatars and nicknames,etc. and then to see and hear that person in real life right in front of you is just so cool. Plus, having had that person as a friend here before adds to it. Kind of like the priniciple in the old days of getting to meet a penpal in person.
I'm going a bit off-topic here, but I agree with you, Ziffel. I met my girlfriend here at MC, and we've been together for four months now. Unfortunately we haven't met in person yet, but we keep in touch via chat, email and PMs.:smile: