1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Battle Within: The Spider-Man 3 Thread (Spoilers Ahead!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muppetwriter, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I think Tintanic is one of those movies were everything flows so smoothly together, scenes, transactions, costumes, music, class, style, etc, that you can sit down and watch it with nothing jarring. It just pulls you in and sweeps you along.

It also left the audiene wanting to talk about it, which is the best advertising any film can get.
  2. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

You know what movie currently makes me feel this way? That Thing You Do!, a 1996 film that marked Tom Hanks's feature directorial debut. It's just a fun, fluffy entertaining film with everything you said, Beau: it flows smoothly, the costumes are great, the music is very catchy, and it sweeps you along. Obviously, we're comparing two totally different films here, in style and tone, but TTYD is just a fun way to spend two hours. I could watch it anytime, and feel good by the end.
  3. muppetwriter

muppetwriter Active Member

Hey, Winslow. I just realized that you and I are only a few posts away from becoming Senior Members.;)
  4. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Oh my God, you guys have the same amount of posts!

This is exciting. First one to Senior gets a cookie.
  5. Speed Tracer

I just wrote about that on another forum, actually! I was talking about the Tom Hanks' director's cut 2-disc DVD that came out last week. Wonderful movie. One of my favorites!
  6. muppetwriter

I'm two posts ahead now.:D
  7. Speed Tracer

And you officially own the twentieth page of this thread.

You can do whatever you want, muppetwriter.
  8. muppetwriter

Haha! I don't know about that.:)

Getting back on topic, I feel like for some reason 28 Weeks Later might beat out Spidey for the #1 spot this weekend, with ticket sales slowing down and all and that being another sequel to a box office hit.
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Actually Shrek 2 pulled in $920,665,658 total. But I have wondered about the third on, too.

But It's the week and school is not out yet, so I think Spider man 3 ids going to be number on for another week. The weekend is usually where movies make the majority of there money with a few exceptions.
  10. Winslow Leach

Drat! I missed out on my cookie!
  11. Winslow Leach

I've heard some "experts" say that Spidey 3 will be the highest-grossing film of the summer...and the summer hasn't even begun! There's still Shrek, Pirates, Transformers and Simpsons.

While The Simpsons Movie may not break box office records in its opening weekend, it may have a rewatchability factor, like the TV show. People might go back and see it more than once, to check out the (presumably) quick references and inside jokes they may have missed the first time around.
  12. Winslow Leach

Yeah, I saw ads for this on various DVD sites. I'll have to check it out. But what can 30+ extra minutes possibly add? I feel the movie is tight enough as it is. Maybe more character development? Maybe longer concert sequences? It'll be interesting to find out!

I love the O-Need-Ers!
  13. Winslow Leach

There's also a SE of Big that came out the same day, which adds 25 minutes of extra footage.
  14. Speed Tracer

I didn't pick that up yet. My DVD budget that week was restricted to That Thing You Do! and the Jodorowsky set.
  15. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

Let's not forget that Titanic had possibly the most horrid theme song of any movie, which kinda took a lot away for me (what can I say - I really dislike Celine Dion and overly brash sentimentality).

Back on topic, I saw Spidey 3 last night. I wasn't blown away, but I enjoyed it! It was a little crammed; however, I went in with somewhat low expectations due to all the villians, and really, I thought that they tied things together fairly well (although it would have been better if Venom were cut or saved for a future movie).

However, some of my favorite moments in the movie were non-action scenes. Like the Polish landlord and his daughter Ursula (I've always liked her character, and actually find her more intriguing than the movie interpretation of Mary Jane in a lot of ways). I also loved the sequence with Betty Brant, Jonah Jameson, and that bumbling pitchman. And the Bruce Campbell scene, of course. And I was pleasently surprised how intentionally funny many parts of the film were, like Spidey flying in front of the American flag when he redonned his red and blue suit, or even when he goes "bad" for a while and is walking down the street putting on dorky moves and leers while women look at him disdainfully. HAHA!

Actually, it was interesting how Peter's "bad boy" period started off kinda funny, but became increasingly tragic.

Something of a mess, but a very enjoyable mess, which I would rewatch in a hearbeat.
  16. Speed Tracer

Oh God, I love Celine Dion.

Sorry, everyone!
  17. Winslow Leach

Since I'm the only one on the planet who hasn't seen Spidey 3 yet, I'm glad to hear that the landlord and his daughter are back! Their scenes in part 2 were amongst my favorites. I too think Peter and Ursula should hook up...heck, if I had a choice, I would choose Ursula over Kirsten Dunst:D !
  18. Speed Tracer

I want a movie all about Ursula.
  19. muppetwriter

If you liked their scenes in the second one, then you'll love them in the next, especially after you get a little tired of Mr. Dikovich (I think that was how his name was spelled) saying "Rent!" all the time and acting like a greedy jerk.:)

The movie was #1 in the box office again, but dropped 60% in its ticket sales. It's still a good performance, considering the competition it faced with 28 Weeks Later, Georgia Rule (the movie Lindsay Lohan was known for acting like a you-know-what behind the scenes in), and the godforsaken "Blue Collar TV" movie Delta Farce. And don't get me started on The Ex.

If its drop isn't a wake-up call for Sony, I don't know what is.:p
  20. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

While we may not see eye to eye on Celine Dion, I'm right there with you on this one! ;)