Can we do something about posting for posts sake?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know he's admin and can do what he wants, but what was the point of Phil making two threads for the Muppet Movie blu ray release with the same exact text? Considering how much everyone freaks out about this kinda thing, its sort of ironic :stick_out_tongue:
That's a different story. When he creates a new thread, he deletes the old one for the purpose of keeping the conversation about the project/product current. There are three stages... the development, the official announcement, and finally the release... all summed up with "X is coming," "X available for pre-order," and finally "Your Thoughts: X." That's how you do it the right way. Though I HATE when it happens because it always happens just when I'm on the other thread and it gets closed just as I finish typing.

I'm more or less talking about someone asking for info on a skit, then having another thread on the same subject when no one answers, and then a third one to make sure everyone knows that he's talking about that specific subject.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Except that the current one is still going and he posted the second one three hours ago?

I don't think I'll ever understand the reasoning behind it but whatevs *shrugs*

Edit: Heh...I'm dumb. It was posted under announcements...but my previous statement still applies to the locking older ones :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
When it comes to those, they're usually locked. And I should know, cuz as I said, they always get locked right when I'm about to add to the thread.

But then again, when there's a movie or a major project announcement, there's usually a few threads going at once. It's confusing and something should be done about that in time, but spamming the board to show a laser focused obsession about one specific skit, all the while harassing members about it.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On that subject, can we please do something about single members making multiple threads in a short period on the same subject?

It's one thing to have multiple threads on the same subject by other members who accidentally start posting at the same time/not noticing the other posts, or making another thread on something when it's been buried under pages of forum. But when a single member makes a bunch of threads on the same subject within a month from each other and you can still see them on the first page, not even that many posts down.

We're having issues with one member posting multiple obsessive threads on the same Sesame Street skit.
Send me all the details (name, links, etc.) of the offending party on this forum and I'll look into this right away.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This needs to be revisited, because it's become something of an issue again, we even have confessions from certain members who say they mostly post simply because they like seeing their names on the forum index as far as recent activity goes, on the grounds it makes them feel like they're contributing to the forum... but there's a fine line between actually contributing to discussions, and just simply posting for posting sake, whether it's to increase post counts, or to see your name on the forum, or whatever.

There's also been a growing concern that this is also causing butt-ins and disrupting discussions among different threads, which does seem to be happening quite a bit lately.

Now, I'm willing to be a LITTLE understanding, considering most of the culprits are, in fact, kids, and we have to expect that MC would draw kids and youngens to the community, considering the Muppets themselves were all about entertaining people of all ages, kids and adults alike (I was only 14 when I first joined MC ten years ago), but it needs to be reminded that a forum such as MC, like school, or like home, have certain rules that need to be abided and are expected of its members.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, there are two jerks in particular who have spam-bombing threads in the Fanfiction section. Unfortunately, all I personally can do is delete the posts and issue warning points to the effect, but these idiots don't learn anything as they keep on posting their spam, even revisiting and re-posting the same spam a second time.

As far as this subject, I already sent Phillip an email yesterday, hope he answers and deals with these punks permanently. Would advise you contact him as well adding your information to the particular claim. In the meantime, LMK how I can help by deleting/cleaning the threads you've noticed of these members' spam posts.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
While there certainly are some that do this for the sake of seeing their name, it appears that others don't seem to fully grasp the difference between a discussion forum and a chat room. And like D'Snowth said, it is somewhat understandable, as these are the much younger members.

But it's rather irritating to receive an alert from a thread, only to find either extreme muffins or the ever-popular one to two word posts that add nothing to the discussion.

Basically, if you want to stray way off topic from the thread (i.e. Having a personal conversation, or just commenting on completely random things) then take it to your inbox.

And the "Like" option is there for a reason. With it, there's no need for the "I agree" comments.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, yes, thank you Mo, that IS a problem, it didn't even occur to me until you pointed out, yes, it does seem like in some of these cases, MC is being treated more like a chat room than a forum (do people even still use chat rooms anymore?); and you're also right, when this kind of thing arises between two or more people in particular, that's what PMs are for.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I thought it was only okay to muffin threads if you're a well-known member or have lots of posts.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with muffining, but like anything else, it needs to be kept in moderation: if a bunch of different threads start getting muffined in a short amount of time (and in some cases, by the same members), then it becomes a problem, it becomes overkill.