Did anyone else wish that Miss. Piggy was cut out of Muppet Movie?

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
No way...I feel the same way about Empire Strikes Back.
The Muppet Trilogy is very parralel to the Star Wars trilogy in the release of it, etc. I just felt like Empire Strikes Back, the middle effort was the weakest...and like Jedi I think the final one is the strongest and most epic.

Ok maybe I should explain that ugly film remark.

When I firts saw GMC when I was little I really disliked it. When I saw it again when Disney rereleased it I didnt like it. When I saw it on dvd the other week I realized why I didnt like it.

1) There is no message to the film. Quite simply, it is just Kermit, Gonzo, and Fozzie stuck in this horrendously gross world of early 80's London high society chic. I mean when Charles Grodin puts a gun to a Muppets head...I just kep tthinking 'My gosh...'...the finale is the Muppets breaking into a museum, and a thief hesist foiled. Oh wow. Look at the ending of The Muppet Movie, or Muppets Take Manhattan.

2) The insane amount of 'hey, were in a movie' nods.

3) The fact we really dont see the Muppets as a strong unit like we do in the first or final of the trilogy.

4) again, the look of it. Maybe its London in the early 80's...but man...ugly isnt even the word for that fashion high sociity model world.

5) Finally, the overall feeling is one of 'so glad this is over with!'

GMC stands as my least favorite Muppet film, right under KSY and Elmo in Grouchland.
There are some fun parts to GMC, but yeah, it's a letdown after the MM. For one thing, GMC is terribly self-conscious. It's like throughout the film all the characters are winking at the audience and saying "Aren't we clever?" Plus the story is weak. And on top of all that it started the trend of the Muppets playing characters other than themselves. This conceit that these puppets are just like real actors just doesn't work, especially on film. It's difficult to give a **** about them when you know they're not really in danger or whatever. And while I give Jim Henson full credit for his other talents, IMO he couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag. He had no sense of pace at all. Plus what's the deal with using the same bicycle trick he used in the first film? It wasn't even integral to the story. Bad bad decision. MHO.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by WiGgY
Piggy in MTM was just strange. She acted nuts! She wasn't a strong character at all. She was acting like some teenage girl over reacting when it comes to relationships. I suppose it makes some sense when you consider the Muppets were suppose to be right out of college but I found it weird. I still love the movie, just not the pig in the movie. In MCC and MTI Piggy looked her age. It was strange that she was one of the only muppets that seemed to age. I'm glad they updated Piggy. The muppets are like cartoons, they shouldn't look like they are aging.
Others have commented on Piggy looking older in recent years. Again, the culprit is lousy design on the part of Henson. Not that the dunderheads that work there ever noticed it...

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Reply

Originally posted by murgatoad
Mokey looks like the result of a drunken orgy between a trout and a poodle. And Janice IMO looks an AWFUL lot like Lamb Chop, minus the nose. Bleh.
Oh God. Don't let JandM's man here you say that.

Do you think you could refram from posting like ten posts in a row. It's sorta annoying.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Reply

Oh, please. Mokey looks like the result of a drunken orgy between a trout and a poodle. And Janice IMO looks an AWFUL lot like Lamb Chop, minus the nose. Bleh.
Ummm, interesting. lol

Apparently you're in the minority though, from the results of polls and threads online. Lotsa Muppet guys think they are HOT. Sorry, but Janice looks nothin' like a sheep---the only similarity is they have eyelids with no eyes; and fraggles are (of course) unique creatures. I guess ya just don't see what we see.

And it's not only only their sensual Muppety looks---their personalities draw guys to 'em, too.

Now what're ya gonna do, insult those who fantasize about Miss Piggy? (Watch out, Quinn...)

Thijs

Reaction score
In the time I had never seen an episode of TMShow, but only the three movies, I hated Miss. Piggy. But now I am finally watching TMS, I am beginning to love Miss Piggy, although she will never be one of my favourites.

In the movies she is just so...well...I don`t like her in the movies.

Ryan

Reaction score
I think, personally, Piggy looks horrible now. I mean, why do they slim her down for every photo and toy? It's ridiculous. Then they respond with: "Piggy's keeping up with the times". Being thin is keeping up with the times? C'mon, JHC!:mad:

I agree, Piggy looked best in the TMS years, and to be honest, I liked Miss Piggy (well everyone's) look in season one....maybe I just like the nostalgic look of the early shows.

beaker

Reaction score
There are some fun parts to GMC, but yeah, it's a letdown after the MM. For one thing, GMC is terribly self-conscious. It's like throughout the film all the characters are winking at the audience and saying "Aren't we clever?" Plus the story is weak. And on top of all that it started the trend of the Muppets playing characters other than themselves. This conceit that these puppets are just like real actors just doesn't work, especially on film.
I agree 100%. To me GMC is down there with MTI and Elmo in Grouchland when it comes to my enjoyability. However, would have to strongly disagree with your other comments.

You know, while I didnt care for The Score too much...I will have to say Frank Oz' directorial debut in TMTM still leaves me in awe.
I think people who loved the new mastercard commercial like it because of its kind of 'TMTM' part two feel, but more modern.

CousinLuke

Reaction score
OK, I'm going to try to comment on both the look of my favorite swine, GMC, and Janice.

First off, I think that Piggy looks best in the Disney movies and later. I also think she looks fine in GMC. She looks hideous in TMM and TMS early seasons. I personally don't like her thinner look.

On GMC, I think that after seeing the TV movie, the "human" focus of the movie is lost. At least the muppets apear in the scenes. In adition, I think that the film is, at least for me, like people say MFS is in my recent thread, the more I watch Caper, the more I like it. Certain jokes, like the twins joke,are not my favorite but it is still a funny, self-concious movie.

Finally, I don't compleatly see what it is about Janice that some people find so attractive. I guess it is like how I feel when Kermit falls deepley in love with Piggy in TMM and GMC. Don't get me wrong, she is a good character, but not the best.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Reply

Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Now what're ya gonna do, insult those who fantasize about Miss Piggy? (Watch out, Quinn...)
Oh...I see from above now that you're one o' the ones attracted to Piggy. Hmm.....guess this is what to expect from people who can't fully appreciate GMC. :stick_out_tongue: