FanFic: Forgotten Wishes

Leyla

Reaction score
Wow, I really admire the way you're blending together all these complicated, delightful stories of yours into one big fictional history. I need to go back and reread them all again as soon as I get some free time. In the meantime, I love how you write Uncle Deadly, making him more than a spirit, making him a thinking, feeling person. He comes across as very real to me.

Poor, poor Scooter. I hope you realize you're simply breaking my heart over all he's going through (and going to go through). This foreshadowing of his death and subsequent zombification in your other stories really got to me emotionally. Someday, he needs a story to be happy in.

I also loved Piggy and Kermit's argument and then in this latest chapter, the little role reversal where she's trying to calm him down for a change. Oh, there's too much I like. I'm gonna have to give a proper review one of these days.

Until then, thank you.

Leyla

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Six

"We're here guys." Kim said, as she pulled into the small parking area behind the Fix-It Shop. Kim stepped out from her car, and frowned softly. Almost immediately a couple of people came out from the shops back enterence.

"You must be the Vines' daughters! I'm Maria, and this is my husband Luis. Come on in, he's waiting for you." Maria said softly, as she walked back inside. The three sisters got out of their car and walked inside. The small shop had many appliances stacked from the floor to the counters. Lots of toasters and household appliances. Lisa wondered just how could somebody create that many items that were broken?

An old man was sitting at the counter, slightly hunched over. His thin glasses glinted in the noonday sun that filtered through the window. The Count was sitting beside him, his hand resting gently on the man's arm. The old man sighed, and looked out the window.

"I still can't believe it, Count." He shook his head, and smiled wistfully. His voice was ragged, like he had been shouting for hours on end it seemed, and he spoke softly and deliberately as if english was a foreign language to him. "The girls...."

Count heard Kim sigh, and he turned his head a little. He saw the sisters standing there, frozen to the spot. "Your girls are here. Your 3 beautiful girls are here, James; old friend."

James smiled and turned in the seat to see his daughters. He smiled at them, and immediately Lisa ran to his side, with Sara not to far off. Kim walked a little slower then her sisters, but nonetheless she was at his side right after the other two. They hugged him tightly, and he hugged them back, giving them each a kiss on the cheek.

"When?" Kim asked, tears already forming in her eyes.

"I'm not sure, actually....time's...kinda stood still right now, girls." He slowly checked his watch, and frowned softly. "I'd guess about an hour ago. She's...probably still there too." He gulped softly, turning away from them for a second.

"What happened Daddy?" Lisa asked, tears already streaming down her cheeks; she was shaking just then from the emotion.

"Your Momma's heart just gave out, girls. She was able to tell me, that she loved each and every one of you. She never wants you to give up on your dreams, no matter what they are." James said softly, a gentle smile playing on his face.

Sara's cell phone vibrated again, and she pulled it out frowning. It was the theatre. She patted her father's shoulder and walked outside onto the main street, and then answered her phone.

"Yes? Who is calling me?" She said into the phone, a little angry. She sounded like she was crying or was about to cry.

"Sara, it's me, Scooter." He paused for a second, when he heard her sniffling on the other end. "Honey...what's wrong? I..I'm really sorry about eariler and all, I didn't think I was being mean..."

"No...no gofer....it's not that." Sara managed to mumble softly. "My mom just died....she...she had a massive heart attack early this morning, sometime around 1 am we think, and Dad called us...rather called me right after we had that arguement. Which really wasn't even an arguement to begin with, but he called me told me what happened, and I got Kim and Lisa. We went to Sesame Street, which was where Mom was...but...."

"But what Sara?" Scooter unfortunately asked her that question, which he probably shouldn't have.

"WE WERE TOO LATE!!!" Sara yelled out, not able to hold anything else back then. Of each of the three sisters, she was the closest to their mother, she was a momma's girl, and this simply broke her heart beyond recogination. Kim was close to their father, and Lisa was equal with them both.

Big Bird was ambling along the sidewalk, when he heard this scream coming farther down the street. He opened his eyes a bit more, and sped up his walking just a little bit. He saw Sara sitting on the stoop to 123 Sesame Street, and was openly crying while on her cell phone. Bird stopped just a few feet away from her, and he patiently waited while she finished her call.

"...and...and her heart just gave out, Scooter....we were too late to say goodbye.....and....and oh....." Sara was mumbling, her cheeks wet with her tears, her upper pants was dotted with wetness, and her left hand was a little wet as she wiped her face every now and again, so she could see clearly. "I never got to say goodbye, Scooter."

"Maybe you'll get to say goodbye some other time?" Big Bird asked softly, leaning in a little bit to where Sara was.

"...honey...I've gotta call you back. An old friend of mine is here. Yes, I'll be back within a few days, a week at the latest. Why don't you come to Sesame Street? I...I really need your support." She asked softly, while smiling at Big Bird.

"Sure, I'll get there in a hour or so. See you sweetheart." He said, nodding to himself. She really needed him, and he knew it.

"Thanks, bye honey." Sara said, as she ended the call and closed her cell phone, placing it once more in her jacket's pocket. She looked at Big Bird, and smiled softly. "Hey Big Bird...s-sorry you had to see that."

"See what?" He asked her, then he shook his head, while sitting down beside her. He looked down at her, and wrapped one of his feathery wings around her. "You were crying eariler...what's happened?" He asked, curiously.

Sara's train of thought ran to a halt. How would you explain to a 6 year old bird about what's happened. Then, she remembered something.

"Do you remember Mr. Hooper, Big Bird?" She asked, smiling.

"Oh yeah! I really miss him, a whole lot. But, but Alan does a lot of what Mr. Hooper did you know!" He said quite brightly. Sara laughed softly.

"Yeah, Alan does. Do you remember how you felt, when Mr. Hooper died?" She inquired gently.

"I was mad for a little while. But then I just really felt sad....it was a long while before I felt really better about it. Don't tell anyone else this, but I really missed him for nearly a whole year." He said softly, almost whispering to Sara.

"Big Bird, it's okay to miss someone. I just barely knew who Mr. Hooper was, and I still miss him. But, what I'm trying to get at, is...my mother just died. And...well....I'm not really in a good mood." She said, looking down a little bit.

"You're really sad? Or are you mad? Or both?" Big Bird asked, looking at her closely again. Sara looked up at him, and frowned softly.

"I feel like punching a wall, Big Bird. I feel almost guilty, I...I never got to say goodbye to my mom...and...the last time I talked with her, I had just told her I was going out with Scooter....never even got to tell her I'm getting married." She looked downwards and gently laid on Big Bird's stomach.

Even though Big Bird was only 6 years old, this little (or rather big) bird had a wise sense of wisdom about him. Perhaps he didn't understand everything that people said, and sometimes he didn't get why people would do what they do, but he always seemed to know what was right to say and what was wrong to say. And always the simplest way to do things, to say things; and how to get the point across. He hugged Sara tightly, and gently lifted her chin upwards, so she was looking up at him.

"I never got to say goodbye to Mr. Hooper either." Big Bird said softly.

Sara choked up just then, and wrapped her arms around him, giving him a big hug. Although she was nearly 20 years old, a used-to-be star reporter, and was going to be married in nearly 4 months....she felt just like when she was 2 years old, giving Big Bird a last hug, before they moved. She was crying then, just as much as she was crying now. She thought she would never see the big yellow bird ever in her life.

But she did, and it was just as comforting as it was 18 years ago.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Seven

Scooter was pacing around the theatre, he still felt a little lightheaded from all that had happened, but he couldn't see staying in Hensonville now. He had to go where she was. It made perfect sense to him. Go to where she was. He got into his jeep, without even telling Kermit or anyone else, and he went back to the boarding house and packed a bag. He then drove over to Sara's house, found her key under the rock and went inside, packing her a bag as well. Getting back in the car, he sighed, looking at the passenger's seat. His own suitcase, and his financee's. Then he remembered.

"The emergency suitcases at the bookstore!" He started the jeep up, and went to the bookstore.

The Vines Sisters were an odd bunch, a little neurotic each in their own special ways. Kim, the oldest always remembered the tinyest detail of everything, that's why she ran the bookstore and did the money working as well. Sara, the middle sister; she always had a good head on her shoulder, being able to see most things in a postive light, and be able to retell stuff, even the most boring things, and make them into the most flowered language ever. Basically Sara could easily bull her way though anything, a very smooth talker, if you will. Lisa, the youngest always nitpicked and nagged about everything, but in the end; little Lisa was the one who kept everyone on their toes. The three of them together were quite a formidable lot.

Scooter finally got to the bookstore, and found the key under another rock; and he opened the doors gently. The rush of the smell of paper and ink met him. He loved that dusty, old, comfortable library. Carefully making his way upstairs, he found where the rooms were, and picked up the two suitcases sitting beside each of the doors. To someone who never knew the sisters, they would think that odd. Someone always having an emergency suitcase packed and ready to go at all times, seems quite strange. But, again to these sisters, along with their neuroticly endearing qualities, came not so well health. Each of them, had health problems of varying degrees. So, they each had a suitcase made up, ready to go, when the flight for saving their lives happened. Scooter paused in Sara's old room, and looked around. Many books were littered about her room, and lots of papers. The same was in Lisa's and Kim's rooms as well. He chuckled to himself softly.

"I guess they picked the right jobs." Scooter said to himself gently, as picked up the suitcases, and started to head out the door to his jeep. He set them both in the floor, and got into the driver's seat and took off, to go to Sesame Street.

------------------------------------------

Kermit was standing backstage, and was glaring at a piece of paper. He couldn't believe his eyes what he saw on that paper. He was shocked, worried, angry, and sad all at the same time.

"Uncle Kermit? What's wrong?" Robin asked his uncle, when he saw he was frozen to the spot where he stood.

"....It's Scooter, Robin." He finally said, still staring at the sheet, numb.

"What's wrong with Scooter? Is he okay??" His little nephew asked, hopping up onto the table. He saw the note, and started to read it outloud from behind his Uncle's shoulder. "Dear Boss, I've gone to Sesame Street to be with Sara. Her mother was put into the hospital this morning, and she died a couple of hours ago. I need to be with her for support. I won't be able to be in the show this week. I'm very sorry, Chief. But you'll have to find two other people to sing the duet on-stage for that night." Robin shook his head, and looked at Kermit again. "Sara's mom....died? Oh no...that's terrible, Uncle Kermit!"

"It is terrible...." Kermit muttered. He wish Robin would go find something else to do, because, although her mother's death, and Scooter not being present were both not well at all....the bigger thing on his mind was finding a replacement duo with only one night between then and the show. "Why don't you get everyone gathered up and tell them, Robin?"

"Okay, Uncle Kermit!" Robin hopped off of the desk, and hopped out to the stage, and was getting ready to yell. "GUYS! I've GOT AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!"

His little voice was drowned out by everyone else talking and chatting away. He frowned and tried once more, but nothing broke through the group. Sweetums lumbered onstage, and gently picked up Robin in his hands. Robin told him what was going on, and Sweetums turned towards the audience.

"LITTLE ROBIN WANTS TO SPEAK TO YOU ALL!" Sweetums roared, then smiled at Robin, who thanked him.

"Thanks, Sweetums! O-Okay guys!! Scooter's gone to Sesame Street, to be with Sara. Sara's momma, just passed away today, and she'll be at Sesame Street for a little while, and Scooter probably won't come back until she does!" He stated, making sure his little voice was loud and clear.

"Okay, it's really bad that her mom died and all...but what does that really have to do with us, Robin?" Rizzo had the gall to ask, standing up in his theatre seat. Robin looked away for a moment thinking.

"It's just so we'll all know where they are, so we don't worry, I guess." He finally said. "I-I mean if one of us left suddenly, we'd want everyone to know where we were, right?"

"Little frog rully has a point there." Janice piped up, smiling. Everyone agreed, and remembered Scooter and Sara for the rest of the day, they wished them well, although they couldn't see nor speak with them.

Kermit just wondered how they were taking it, and what he was going to do on such short notice.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Rully a great couple of chapters... The one at Sesame Street was the better, more endearing one though. All the characters who appeared and were mentioned, refering to Mr. Hooper's death to get your point across... Rully touching.

But... From heart attack to comma to death? And is the time of death 1 AM or 1 PM? And I'm not sure, but wasn't Sara's mom alive in some of the future scenes of Grand Adventure In Life?

Hexcellent job with the library and telling us about each of the sisters... And then Sweetums roaring to get the rest of the gang's attention so Robin could talk to them...
Rully great work so far Sara, look forward to more.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
WOW...........

Sesame Street! I love it! I also love how you're really exploring more of Sara's family and giving us some insight into the sisters and more about who she is and everything still connects to the Muppets. I loved the scene with Big Bird, it brought tears to my eyes. I also loved little Robin getting up and making an announcement and how simple he stated everything.

This is so great sissy! Possibly my favorite story, or at least tied with The Bonds of Family (hey, I have a froggy self in that one so I guess I'm a little biased).

Keep it coming!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
I never really explained it well, but her mother (brenda) was only seen in the past sequences of Grand Adventure. Sometime before even this first story was set. It isn't really clear of course (because I wasn't sure if I would expand on it.) Her mother was quite weak, weak heart and all, and her body lapsed into a coma, then her heart just gave out. It was before she went into the coma that she told James what to tell the girls.

A bit of a backstory to the Vines parents:

Brenda: Overweight housewife, somewhat weak constitution (gives the reason for the girls having not so perfect health anyways.) Amercian though and though. Used to be a on/off again reporter for the local paper. (like the free ones you'll find in lots of grocery stores, and other stuff like that.) Adores books, a bit of a biblophile - inspired the girls to begin a bookstore. The name "Three Candles" came from what their mother called the girls, "Her three little candles burning brightly in the night." (I know you called it that, Count, but I gave my own tiny backstory to it. XD)

James: Rough, rugged man. Worked hard as a farmer, before he gave up that job (around the time Sara was born) and became an office worker. Usually dresses in overalls and plaid shirts. (Imagine the farmer dude from Candice Bergen's episode, as a human.) Irish-Amercian, has slight trouble with english at times, speaks slowly and deliberatily. Loves to sing.

They used to live in Sesame Street, until Sara was 2 or 3 years old. They moved away due to space. Until Sara was 4 years old, they always visited at least during Christmastime. They stopped when Lisa was born, (in my own backstory for her.) She was very sick when she was an infant, couldn't really travel anywhere until she was 6 years old. After two years of trying they unfortunately just gave up on travelling period. Why the girls live together in Hensonville, is because Kim founded the bookstore there, and Sara moved out from their parents home and lived with her. When Lisa turned 14 she moved out as well, to go to Hensonville High to live with her sisters. They never forgot their parents and frequently visited them, as they were only perhaps a half-hour's drive from them. When Brenda had her heart attack, they were visiting their friends at Sesame Street, hence why they end up there.

I might elaborate on that actually in the story, not sure yet. Figured you'd love to know the backstory about them!

Oh, and she had the heart attack at 1 am or so, died around noon or 1 pm.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... The mini-nonchapter was good... Gives us a bit more history to the credit of Hensonville and its shopkeepers/residents. Rully good job Sara, look forward to more.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Eight

The muddied jeep pulled up in front of the Fix-It Shop, and killed it's engine. Not a lot of people were around just then, and Scooter stepped out from his car, grabbing the suitcases. He saw a few people and kids milling about the street, but he decided not to bother them. Walking inside the shop, he set the suitcases down and came up to the counter.

"Hello there! My name is Scooter, and I'm looking for my finacee, Sara." He asked the man behind the counter.

"Oh, Sara? She and her sisters, as well as her father went to his apartment, it's at 123 Sesame Street, I think it's the 5th room in the apartments." Luis responded to him, smiling.

"Thanks!" He said happily, as he grabbed the suitcases once more, and walked out from the Fix-It Shop. He saw the apartments just down the street, and he started out for them.

Lisa was laying the couch, with Kim beside her. Lisa was sleeping again, which was quite normal for her, and Kim was absentmindly stroking her little sister's head, thinking. James was in the kitchen, making stew for them, singing a soft song.

"When apples still grow in November, when blossoms still bloom on each tree, when leaves are still green in December. It's then that our land will be free.
I've wandered the hills and valleys, and still through my sorrow I see. A land that has never known freedom, and only her rivers run free" He sang, deep and mellow, while walking about the kitchen slowly. His mind turned to his wife, Brenda. He missed her so much.

"I drink to the death of her manhood. Those men who'd rather have died. Than to live in the cold chains of bondage. To bring back their rights were denied. But where are you now that we need you? What burns where the flame used to be? Are you gone like the snow of last winter? And still only our rivers run free.

How sweet is life, but we're dying, how mellow the wine, but we're dry. How fragrant the rose, but it's dying, how gentle the wind but it sighs. What good is in youth when it's aging? What joys are in eyes that can't see? When there's sorrow in sunshine and flowers, and still only our rivers run free..." He stopped and closed his eyes for a moment, remembering that Brenda just loved this song, and he stayed in his place, shaking softly from his tears.

"When there's sorrow in sunshine and flowers, and still only our rivers run free..." He repeated, his hand gripping the countertop, tears falling down his cheeks. "Faith....oh, why did this happen, Brenda? You're missing so much o' the girl's lives ya know.." His thick irish brogue, was soft that day, as he merely spoke to the air; to his wife. He saw Kim and Lisa on the couch, sleeping. He wondered for a moment where Sara was, but he knew she could take care of herself; that she was fine.

"The little'un misses you dearly, as we all do. I just....I wish I had known how to help ya, my dear rose." He stopped, and looked down at the sink for a moment. "Pe'raps I should go back home. Tell the family 'en all 'bout what 'appened 'ere."

There was a ring at the doorbell, and James went over, opening the door. He smiled when he saw who it was. "Scooter! My dear boy...come on in 'ere, set those bags down and have a good seat. 'Ave ya seen Sara round 'bout 'ere?"

"No, I haven't sir. How are you guys doing anyways? How are you holding up?" Scooter asked, as he set the four suitcases down against the couch, and then sat in a large armchair beside the sofa. "Heh. I see Lisa's knocked-out again."

Kim laughed softly, and nudged Lisa awake. "Yeah, she's exhausted. Been working on another story of her's, and she's stayed up too late. Then this....well, it just dosn't help any of us at all."

"I see...so what about you Mr. James?" Scooter then inquired, looking over at the man, who was leaning softly on the back of another chair.

"Call me Dad, would you Scooter? I mean, you're my son-in-law anyways..." He said smiling.

"Sara's told you already?" He pondered out loud. James got an odd smile on his face.

"You mean ya really are getting hitched, me boy?" He laughed out loud a few times, a gleeful smile crossing his face. "I just considered you me son-in-law, 'cause I felt I knew ya so well, like ya were the son I never had, ya know? But...by god on high, that's wonderful news! Congrats, Scooter!"

Scooter smiled, and laughed a little with him. He looked out the window a little, and sighed. "I think I'll go see if I can't find Sara, okay?"

"Alright. We'll have lunch done in a bit, take ya time." James said, as he started to walk back to the kitchen to tend to the boiling stew.

With that, Scooter said bye to Kim and Lisa, and walked back outside once more. He was hoping he would find Sara soon, he was anxious to talk with her, and make sure she was alright.

-----------------------------------------

"I have something to show you Sara." Big Bird said to her, as he led her blindfolded to his nest.

"Come on, Big Bird...why the blindfold?" She said, smiling a little.

"I don't want you to see it, before we're here!" He led her around a small corner, and she heard the squeak of the door opening. She knew she must be in Bird's nest then. He led her to a small crate, and helped her sit down. "Don't take it off yet!"

There was some rustling, it sounded like papers almost. A few boxes were opened, and she heard Big Bird mumbling. "Now where did I put....no, that's Radar....ah-ha! Here it is!"

He patted her shoulder gently. "Okay. You can open your eyes now." She opened them. Big Bird was holding up a very pretty picture of herself and her sisters. It was nice simple lined picture, sort of like the caracatuires Big Bird had done years ago of his friends. She was standing beside Scooter, with her two sisters flanking either side of her. above them were her mother and father, hugging each other.

"...Big Bird....you drew this?" Sara asked softly, holding the picture delicately. "This is beautiful..."

"Yeah, I drew it myself. Thank you, I think it's really pretty too." Bird smiled, and settled down on his nest, looking over at her. He yawned a little bit, he looked tired.

"It's time for your nap, isn't it?" Sara said, smiling.

"It is. C-Could you tuck me in?" He asked her gently.

"Are you sure? Wouldn't you want me to get Gordon, or Susan??" She inquired softly, standing beside the large bird now.

"I'd like you too, if you don't mind."

"I wouldn't mind at all, Big Bird." Sara said, as she picked up his blue blanket, and draped it across his back, as that was all he could really cover. She picked up Radar, and handed the bear to Big Bird, as he settled down, his eyes drooping softly.

"Can you sing me a song, too?" He asked very gently, and Sara smiled.

"Sure. It's an old song my mother taught me, Big Bird." Sara gently smiled, and sat down beside Big Bird, wrapping her arms around him carefully, as she sang to him.
"All the skies are blue tonight, deep blue like the sea at hand. I hold you close in my arms tonight, as we dance and sing on the land. "I love you much, as all friends do...Your friends love you oh so true...So sleep dear Big Bird, I beg you, for I and your friends love you too..."

Big Bird was quickly off to sleep, with that short, haunting lullaby. Bob, Gordon, and Susan were standing outside of Big Bird's nest. They smiled when they heard that song.

"Isn't that little Sara?" Bob asked quietly, looking in on the scene, with Sara making sure Big Bird was tucked in nicely.

"Yep. She came back, because of Brenda. Her other sisters are here as well." Gordon noted, smiling as well.

"That's great to hear. We should go and see how James is, though." Susan said, then the three of them left to go to James' apartment. A few minutes later, Sara was on the move again, to meet some more old friends of her's.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw man... That was... *Sniff... Boo-tiful.
Rully powerful stuff here Sara. Don't know how long it'll go, but I'm lovin' da ride so far. Hope Scooter finds you soon, can't miss you on a street such as Sesame.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
That's awesome Sara. I always love your fanfics. Keep writing, it's getting inter-sting. Love your new avatar by the way. :wink: