Get Rid of that King!

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
I wondered about that when I was little. I grew up knowing those one BK kids as the mascots, and often thought, the place is called Burger King, so where's the king? Then my parents told me how there used to be a Burger King.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I haven't seen the Skittles commercial in question (and I'm in the library now so I shouldn't click the link), but I'm really amused by some of the Star Wars related wrappers out there right now. There's one with the Emperor, and he's got a lightsaber with Skittles coming out of it. Seriously, this is the baddest dude in the galaxy! "Now, my young apprentice, you will taste the rainbow!"
*Snicker*

Honestly though, I'm with Hera. I find the new BK commercials both funny AND disturbing. Or maybe it's funny that it's disturbing, or I'm disturbed that I find it funny...Either way.
As to the old office-related ones, I guess they were trying to go for a "The Office"-related feel, but it just didn't work.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Manda:-D said:
*Snicker*

Honestly though, I'm with Hera. I find the new BK commercials both funny AND disturbing. Or maybe it's funny that it's disturbing, or I'm disturbed that I find it funny...Either way.
As to the old office-related ones, I guess they were trying to go for a "The Office"-related feel, but it just didn't work.

the "office" ones are still on i liked them but i agree i find the king disturbing but, funny

Convincing John

Reaction score
The other guy in that commercial (wearing purple) was called "The Duke of Doubt". He was kind of like "Wontkins" from Jim Henson's old Wilkins Coffee commercials...only the Duke of Doubt never got blown up!:wink:

I have some fuzzy memories about these commercials. One was where the Duke of Doubt fell in a pond (or something like that), and he said "That's the last straw!" and the king came along and said, "No, this is!" and he held up a Burger King straw in the wrapper. (Fozzie should've done that joke).

I agree that new king is weird. He should be replaced. Instead of someone in a mask, how about just hiring someone with a beard to play the part?

Hey, how about hiring this guy? (The guy on the right). Hey, why not? :sing:

Now, they could hire this other guy but I think the commercials would turn out a little unsettling...

"New" King: "Try our EXTRA BIG CHICKEN sandwich for that EXTRA BIG CHICKEN taste!"

(Quick shot of Big Bird): "WHAT???"

Convincing John

Censored

Reaction score
The Burger King character has changed a few times over the years. In the very early 70's, he was a short, stout cartoon character with no beard or mustache. He'd appear on animated commercials and promotional items. Later in the 70's, they got a real actor to play Burger King who looked nothing like the previous cartoon version (The current Burger King in question seems to be modeled after him). The human Burger King used to sing a jingle that went:
"I'm the marvelous magical Burger King...I can do most anything....Now watch me, kids...With the twist of my ring...like magic...WE'RE AT BURGER KING!" As mentioned earlier, there was the Duke of Doubt and a few other supporting characters like Sir Shake-A-Lot. They were obviously trying to duplicate McDonald's cast of characters, but for some reason, the Burger King characters didn't last too long.

I agree that this current Burger King really doesn't cut it.