1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppets to appear in Disney Channel TV special

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by jacobsnchz, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

exactly! I really dont believe that by using the muppets they are going to accomplish anything. A kid who does not know who these characters are will probably just overlook them, not pay attention, and just pay attention to the stars. They might be watching, but oblivious to what is actually going on involving the muppets. If children do not like something, or have no interest in watching something, even if they do watch it they wont remember it, only the parts that they wanted to watch (such as a certain star). I know if I have no interest in watching something, I generally "pretend" to watch it, but meanwhile I'm just lost in my own thought, and only start paying attention if something that interests me happens.

While completely unrelated, I will give a semi-perfect example of what I mean. The first time I "watched" Waynes World I had no interest in actually watching it. However, when Alice Cooper came on I actually got interested in it and started watching it. All that time I thought we were watching it from that point, then my friend was like "we watched it from the beginning". Since I had absolutly no interst in watching it at first, I payed no attention and didnt remember anything that happened before Alice Cooper.

But now I have actually payed attention to it its one of my favorite movies (thats the not so perfet part of my example :smirk:)

But does anyone undertand what I'm trying to get at?
  2. Luke Active Member

I agree entirely, and i would also agree this isn't a Muppet special really, it doesnt even have their name in the title. I think the point is this isn't a great introduction of the Muppets to kids. Sure it gets them noticed, but having them play second fiddle to Hannah Montanna isn't going to make them the next big thing at the Disney kids division or make kids suddenly buy up all the TMS DVD's. I totally get what you say about how kids just ignore things that they don't really get or are interested in and think that there's a very limited possibility of the Muppets gaining much popularity by appearing alongside these people, but its a bonus opportunity i guess and if it ever raises a glimmer of curiosity its a good thing.

When the time comes for the big major relaunch i think somehow they will need to do something a lot cleverer to introduce the Muppets to kids. I always thought the "Americas Next Muppet" idea was a clever one and would give them the chance to interact and get into the brand. I would definitely think we'll see a new Muppet focused TV series to backup whatever popularity they can get from having a movie out and sell the merchandise/dvds - maybe Disney stars could appear, but something about this special seems awkward .. just looking at Kermit dressed in HSM costume, its just not natural - its more cheesy and fake, like the Muppets are trying to be cool. They don't need that, they just need to be themselves and have a good show format/vehicle that kids can get into.
  3. Count von Count Active Member

Disney may think most of the viewers were supporting the Disney's tv shows, not the Muppets. That may be good if disney makes a other tv special with the muppets, Or Disney may make more h.m tv shows.-- We should disney we want to see more Muppets.
  4. TheJimHensonHour New Member

I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing until I see it, I just don't care for any of those bad child and teenage actors or singers.
    The point I'm making is that I will be indeed watching for the Muppets and nothing else just like many others including many of my friends who I've told about this.
    But the Muppets are not going to be stars the others who are the stars of the shows will be that's what I'm trying to say.
    The only thing I can see in the upcoming future that will help the world see how great these characters are is the new movie by Jason.:)
    Yes, you're making perfect sense!
  5. Count von Count Active Member

Yeah this show is made for kids to want see the new Muppet movie.
  6. TheJimHensonHour New Member

Really? the movie isn't even going to be out until a year or so if that.
    I'd say it's been made to help sell merch and dvd's lol:scary:
  7. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I think its a little bit of both, it also maybe to see how the Muppets do on the disney channel.
  8. Luke Active Member

What Disney is probably now doing with this is using the "Disney Stars" to get the kids to watch and get the advertisers in to pay for it, and then focus grouping kids to see what they thought of the Muppet bits. Maybe some of the feedback will be used to develop the film and whatever other TV projects i think we will see with it.
  9. Count von Count Active Member

If disney wanted to see how the Muppets whould do, they should just put the Muppet Movie on th Disney Channel.
  10. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Which wouldn't do very well, to be fair, because it's filled with cameos that no one remembers and characters who are bearly introuced playing with musical rotating rainbarrels.
  11. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

WHEW!Thank goodness!NOW I won't get a blank look from my 8 year old niece when talking about the Muppets.
    When I was in New York this past week,I asked her if she likes the Muppets.She looked at me & asked "What's a Muppet?" She knows who Kermit is but not the others.
  12. Count von Count Active Member

Give her the Muppet Movie.
  13. Beauregard Well-Known Member

*bangs head on closest available tree*

Bea:zany:{Don't mind me...}regard
  14. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

No...she's more into Hannah Montana & High School Musical. Thanks for the advice though,CvC
  15. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

OUCH!:eek: Beau...isn't that painful?
    Kathy (sorry I muffined this thread)
  16. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I'm feeling exactly the same way...

*ahem* I'm still very, VERY excited about this project and I think that this will be a very, VERY big step in bringing back the Muppets into the public eye. I think you're all getting a little on edge over this. Think about it! The first time in, what? Eighteen years? That we've had an honest to goodness Muppet special airing on TV? People... this is HUGE. I know, and sympathize, with you all about the fact that the Muppets are coming back to us alongside Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers, but, gee, guys, they're still coming back--on a MAJOR television channel with MAJOR stars--NOT just in the eyes of tweeny boppers, but in the eyes of those tweeny bopper's parents who hear the names of these obnoxious stars EVERY day, and now will hear their names alongside the names of the Muppets--THEIR childhood icons.

This special, it seems to me, is exactly something that Jim would've wanted. His vision for The Muppet Show was never to just pigeonhole it to one age group--he wanted adults and kids alike to enjoy his projects. Which is exactly what this new special will do. Kids will tune in for Miley Cyrus' song with the Snowths, their parents will tune in for their classic memories of the Snowths--even if they are singing with Miley Cyrus.

This is HUGE, everybody. Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem--guys, they're BACK on TV! In an actual project! Not a guest appearance!

THIS. IS. BIG.

I think that's pretty much all that needs to be said... :smirk:
  17. TheJimHensonHour New Member

Ok seriously you keep saying it's huge and not just a guest appearance but have you seen the special yet? I mean I wouldn't just to such conclusions until you do.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, I'm also not saying it's a good one.
    And I'm sorry this isn't big at all, if it was they would be advertising it.

The only people talking about this are us crazed muppet fans who so desperately want our favorite character back in the world that we'd watch badly written and acted shows just to get them there.

We don't even know how long each characer will be on screen, if they have speaking roles or if they just are there.

We really know nothing about this besides the fact that the Muppets will be on a Disney Special with it's big child stars.

And you're right there is nothing to really be said about this special because it hasn't been advertised, and it hasn't aired yet.
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Hey! I got a famous cousin too. Wait a sec... he's visiting right now. I'll have him say something.

(From Obelix)- You muppet fans are crazy!

(From me) I wouldn't have it any other way!
  19. Count von Count Active Member

What? Who is obelix? Yes Muppet fans can be Sometimes Crazy.
  20. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Sometimes? :concern: My boy, you definitely have not been here long enough! *slams self in face with pie* *honks bicycle horn* Get the picture? *snaps picture with very bright flashbulb* MWoO ha ha ha! :crazy: Muppet fans are always crazy, kid! That's what makes us Muppet fans! I believe it's in a handbook somewhere--unless one of us has already eaten said handbook, in which case... it's in one of our lower intestines by now, I assume. :zany:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.