New Who Framed Roger Rabbit DVD with extras!!March 25!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hey, you're only 2 months younger than my brother! Er, and one day. 18's right around the corner. :embarrassed:

Hmmm. What is this thread about again? Oh, yeah.

:confused:

I got nothin' to say. See ya'!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Woo-hoo! I am so looking forward to this. One of my favorite movies finally getting the prestige treatment. This is a must-have (as soon as I get some money!).

I'm slightly disappointed they don't have the original documentary that aired on CBS at the time, "Roger Rabbit and the Secrets of Toontown." It's a great special, and my old VHS copy is starting to wear down. It looks like they have plenty of other good stuff, though.

BTW, for the record, the first appearance of Woody Woodpecker was in the Andy Panda cartoon "Knock Knock", which came out in 1940. (Source: "Of Mice & Magic" by Leonard Maltin) So Woody is in the appropriate time frame. Also, if it's the same dragon from WFRR, it's not Pete's Dragon (which didn't come out till 1977)--it's the Reluctant Dragon from 1941. Just wanted to clarify that. :big_grin: So far as I know, all of the characters in the movie are appropriate for that time period. So the Emperor (in llama form, I assume?) is the only one that's out of place.

I don't mind the notion that cartoon characters are just "actors" who are around looking for work in the years before their big break. I would put a limit on that of just a few years, though. It ruins the illusion for me to say Llama Dude was waiting around for 60 YEARS! That's just another quibble, however.

(Oddly enough, I read an interview at the time with "Fred Flinstone" -- via Joe Barbera -- asking him why he wasn't in the movie. "Fred" replied that Disney wasn't willing to shell out enough "rocks" for him. But I thought it would have been strange to see him in there anyway, since he's a TV character, his animation is so different from the rest, and his show wouldn't air for nearly 20 years yet. What's more upsetting is that H-B wouldn't let them have Tom and Jerry for this movie.)

Can't wait for this disc. I hope it comes soon! P-p-p-p-pleeeeeze!!! :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I remember an interview where Zemekis remarked about the use of Woody. I know he wasn't the right version for the period. What about Casper? He was in the original screenplay. I found a copy a while back. There was going to be a great funeral scene with all the characters, but they wanted to save the impact for the end. Still, the penguins were out of place, right?

I guess the CBS special has a rights issue. Too bad, but I'm glad a really cool guy found me a copy. :zany:

How are these people getting early versions? I should go check the stores.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
"I remember an interview where Zemekis remarked about the use of Woody. I know he wasn't the right version for the period."

Perhaps they used a later *style* for Woody, if that's what you mean. I don't doubt they might have used a later model sheet that they liked better. But the *character* definitely existed by then. :smile:

"What about Casper? He was in the original screenplay. I found a copy a while back."

But he didn't make it to the completed film, right? Maybe that was one of the reasons they took him out. As best as I can tell, the first Casper cartoon wasn't until 1951. (And for that, I would consider him in the "just about to make his big break" category.)

The original screenplay? Ooooh, THAT would be cool to see someday!

"There was going to be a great funeral scene with all the characters,"

Funeral scene? For who--R.K. Maroon?

"Still, the penguins were out of place, right?"

Penguins are always gratuitous. :zany: But seriously, those were from Mary Poppins (1964), right? OK, you got me there. But hey, maybe these penguins were just working hard to make a living so that eventually their KIDS could go on to star in Mary Poppins. :wink:

OK, I'm stretching there. But somehow I have less of a problem with Mary Poppins. I guess it's because ENG is still too new. Maybe if the character were from a time-tested classic, like Little Mermaid, it wouldn't seem so out of place.

"I guess the CBS special has a rights issue. Too bad, but I'm glad a really cool guy found me a copy. "

:big_grin:

"How are these people getting early versions? I should go check the stores."

The only person I know of who said he had a copy was from a foreign country, where they get the R1 DVDs before we do.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well it'll be out on Tuesday so there's no rush. Well, I'm anxious anyway. :crazy:

I first saw the screenplay in a shop in LA in the late 80s. I flipped through it but couldn't buy it. We had to read several screenplays a week for a screenwriting class so I found a place that had some and checked them out, but ended up buying Roger Rabbit. I kind of get angry at Zemekis because there was some cool stuff he cut, but I guess he had reasons. I love that film, but I always find the finale in the wherehouse to be weak. I guess it just looks too much like a plain soundstage setting in an otherwise rich movie.:smirk:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I just found a third draft of the script on Drew's Script-O-Rama (www.script-o-rama.com). Ahh, I love the Internet. :big_grin:

I don't know if it's the same one you read, but I just read a scene where Droopy came out on stage to introduce Jessica, and I know THAT wasn't in the movie!

And as usual, I feel the need to note that I only support downloading something if it's not available for purchase.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yup. That scene was in the script. I actually like how they changed it and saved Droopy for later.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I agree, I actually like where Droopy ended up in the movie better. But it's fun to see what might have been.

I'd love to get my hands on early drafts of Muppet scripts...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I wonder how tightly Muppet scripts are written. It seems there is a lot of adlibbing. :confused:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I love that film, but I always find the finale in the wherehouse to be weak. I guess it just looks too much like a plain soundstage setting in an otherwise rich movie.
Yeah Jamie i have felt this too, i mean the wearhouse is a fun sceen but there seems like there could have been a little more to the story. I always found it funny that after the dip gun rolls threw the wall and the train rams it carrying it way, a toon pig and duck come rolling on a push and pull cart from the same direction the train when in. i mean you could put it in Eddie words and say "Toon's"... i guess:wink:

I heard about the penguins from the TBS Dinner and a movie a few years ago....i think the dinner they made was cow tounge that night,:grouchy: but i'm not sure, nor do i care, i just remember watching a movie on TBS and i couldn't watch the dinner spots. i think they also made like a carrot cake or something....again, why would anyone care now? :confused: :stick_out_tongue:

Zack) Rowlf the, That's Discusting!!!! Dog.