1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Original Muppet Whatnot Workshop now off-line

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Luke

Luke Active Member

Thanks for posting, i think they look great. I really love all the design of the workshop, the Classic Muppet murel and the eyes and nose ceiling lights. Its fantastic to see all the work thats gone into making it look good.

:excited:
  2. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i agree! and they finally got a new shipment of feather boa hair for the online shop.
  3. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Member

the shipping is $250 for the set of 3 whatnots
  4. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Wow, neat pictures! :D
  5. Skunkie

Skunkie New Member

Also, here's the posting from the website mentioned above in regards to the Whatnot that he made:
    http://www.stitchkingdom.com/forum/index.php?topic=8502.msg8735;topicseen#new

"First, I should have noted that the reason why I left the nose off was because I was hoping I could attach it semi-permanently with velcro as opposed to a hot glue gun. Aside from the Whatnot supposing to be interchangeable by definition, I know there have been Muppet skits where the characters have removed parts of their anatomy themselves, so I thought it would be a neat feature. Plus I thought he looked pretty decent even without the nose (I thought the absence of the nose added character). So the plan would be to use velcro to attach and detach the nose."

"Fortunately the folks at FAO Fifth Avenue obliged and handed me a fresh nose (which I had paid for anyway) in its original packaging (sounds better than it is, basically just a plastic bag) and gave me some advice on how to attach it with a hot glue gun should I decide to go that route (basically to use the low setting)."

"As it turns out, the hook part of velcro attaches almost too well to the inside of the mouth, but not so much on the Whatnot's body. Although I haven't yet tested it, I'm wary of the velcro potential because of the loose connection plus the limited surface area on the side of the nose that would be attached (although flipping the nose on its side to create more surface area is a possibility). Otherwise there'd have to be some way to attach the loop portion of velcro to the Whatnot's body without it being too visible/conspicuous. All things considered, for now I've opted to leave him noseless but there's still lots of potential (tape for example)."

"Someone else observed the placement of the eyes between the mock-up and the final product. The short answer is that the mock-up has the eyes attached together so it's not possible to give a specific placement of each eye, it's just a visual aid. While most probably wouldn't, I did involve myself in the exact placement of the eyes, both horizontally and vertically. The precise placement was determined based on him having his nose attached as well as being aesthetically pleasing without the nose. The staff was very good at dealing with me on this and while the eyes aren't exactly equidistant from the seam, it's barely noticeable. They did an excellent job at making sure they did an excellent job with it."
  6. HerryGrail

HerryGrail Member

Many thanks to our friend at Stitch Kingdom for all the great answers to mine and other questions.

I have a question in to FAO to see if they will ship the puppet and parts selections unattached.
  7. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Member

I asked them if you could buy spare clothes they said no.
  8. Luke

Luke Active Member

Maybe if things go well they'll start doing it, lots of upsell potential.
  9. HerryGrail

HerryGrail Member

From FAO:

Thank you for writing to FAO Schwarz. Unfortunately the Muppet What Not Parts cannot be ordered without the parts being glued on.
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I would pay more for a velcro option. Maybe they could do some sort of premium package that contained a couple pairs of eyes and noses and an alternate outfit.
  11. I got mine today! It's a beautiful puppet. To put things into context, I have never built a puppet (outside of some socks and a pop bottle) - the puppets I own are almost all Muppets, a full bottle Ernie, some from Sesame Place, a Kermit and Animal from Sabbatoys - so this is my best and most detailed one. It's the blue one with a round purple nose, orange hair, a hoodie, and glasses. I'm very glad I spent the money to buy it, deffinetally reasonable for $90.

I am sad to say that the glasses are not plastic, but rather a hard cardboard covered by some kind of thick black leather (with white felt lenses and black felt pupils). Other than that I am totally pleased! I'm even considering to get another one (if not for the puppet, just the opportunity to have a second arm rod).
  12. dmoss

dmoss Member

So great to hear your opinion, SSM! I'm sorry to hear that the glasses are made that way, but think that it's funny that the eyes are on the front, outside of the glasses! Just like classic cartoon characters! :p This will definitely help me weigh my options when I sit down to get my own!

Glad you're happy with yours!
  13. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I still can't wait to buy my own Whatnot! Heres what I'm gonna use for my Whatnot.

1. BLUE BODY

2. FLAT EYES WITH LIGHT BLUE EYELIDS

3. POINTED BLUE NOSE

4. BLACK POMPADOUR HAIR

5. LOUNGE JACKET

He's gonna look awesome! ;)
  14. TopperFraggle

TopperFraggle Member

I noticed that the Whatnots have a head with a neck sleeve that is seperate from the body, allowing the head to turn without automatically moving the body. A nice feature that I would not have expected! More finished pictures please!
  15. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

This is so exciting! :) :super:
  16. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Hi, what is the size like? Can you post a picture of you with your puppet so we can get an idea of scale? Does it work well for grown-up hands?

17. SilhuetStudios

SilhuetStudios New Member

Originally, I had very high hopes for this, I live not too far from the city and am actually going down there on saturday, but when I saw the pics from stitchkingdom, my hopes dropped. The puppets look like they're made from regular fleece, and they look to be about on or just under par of puppets I've made in my own workshop out of fleece,for about a quarter the price, and as for hot glue, well that really doesn't appeal to me, I think I'll go down anyways and see if I can buy everything and put it on myself later. Oh well and ho hum.
  18. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Hey Fozzie!

Someone earlier in the thread already said that it's a very tight fit for an adult hand. But I'd like to see pictures, too, to get an idea of the actual scale.

:p
  19. Davina

Davina Member

it may vary based on your adult hand size, too.. some adults have large hands, others have smaller hands.. so knowing the hand size of the person making that previous comment would be helpful.. :)
  20. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.