Recipe Swap Out

Phantom

Reaction score
Recipe Swap

Muffin:
Take one thread off topic and talk about something else not remotely in the same hemisphere. :stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
LOL!! Muffins. Geez....

Okay, that recipe for 123 Cake doesn't even MAKE a cake--it's actually a kind of cobbler! I made it last night with mixed fruit and bananas...it is GOOD! Eating it warm with Cool Whip over the top of it: YUM! :stick_out_tongue:

Beebers

Reaction score
Best Hot Chocolate

4 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy or whipping cream
8 tbsp. sugar
4 ounces unsweetened finely chopped baker's chocolate
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint oil/extract

In heavy non-stick pan on medium heat, heat milk, cream and sugar, stirring constantly, till sugar dissolves. Add chocolate, keep stirring till it melts and it's close to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and peppermint. Pour into mugs, whipped cream on top optional.

:cool:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
OH! I LOVE hot chocolate! I gotta try this out!

Well, next payday when I can afford to go to the store.

FOZ

Beebers

Reaction score
It's one of the most decadent hot chocolate recipes ever. Very rich. Enjoy, Fozzie. For those who like this sort of variation, this chocolate recipe will tolerate the addition of favorite liqueurs as well, at the end offheat.

Fette
(pronounced fet-tea)

fresh eggs
sliced fresh French or Italian bread, slices 1/2" thick
olive oil
Kosher salt, ground black pepper

Olive oil 1/8" deep in a heavy non-stick frying pan or cast-iron skillet. Heat over medium heat till oil is medium-hot, not smoking. Break into pan one egg for each slice of bread. Immediately press one slice of bread hard into each egg, breaking the yolk. Separate from each other with the edge of a spatula. When golden-brown on the bottom remove from heat. Serve immediately egg side up, salt and pepper to taste, with sides of sliced tomatoes, ketchup, tabascos, and/or cocktail sauce.

This is very restorative, particularly if you've been up most or all of the night.

:cool:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I just saw the sweetest thing! My brother has this friend, this really cute, way high-energy German (or maybe Austrian, I'm not sure) guy who has a cooking show on our local news. Today he was on and dressed like Abraham Lincoln, minus the whiskers, and presented the following recipe which he said Lincoln's stepmother used to make for him. He was talking about how everybody makes a big deal about Valentine's Day and nobody bothers to mention Good ol' Honest Abe's birthday, so he wanted to amend that. At the end of the segment he put a candle in the cake and wished Lincoln a happy birthday (he turns 195 tomorrow :stick_out_tongue: ). My kind of guy!! :smile: Anyway, here's the recipe:

Abe Lincoln`s Almond White Cake Preparation time: 60 minutes

Serving size: 1 triple layer cake

The cake Basic Recipe:

All purpose Flour 3 cups
Baking Powder 2 tsp
Blanched Almonds 1 cup, finely chopped
Soft unsalted Butter 1 cup
Granulated Sugar 2 cups
Vanilla extract 1 tsp
Milk 1 cup, room temperature
Egg whites 6 large, beaten stiff
Salt ¼ tsp

Method:

1. Sift the flour and the baking powder 2- 3 times in a large bowl.

2. Stir in the blanched almonds, and set aside

3. Mix the butter and sugar creamy, starting on low speed and going to high gradually.

4. Add the vanilla extract to the creamy mixture and mix again

5. Add the milk and flour to it alternately, starting with the flour and ending with the flour, until all is used up.

6. Set aside, while you are going to beat the egg whites, adding the salt to it, to a stiff peak.

7. With wooden spoon carefully blend the stiff egg whites into the batter, and fold together.

8. Pour the batter into three round, same sized, smaller, well greased and floured cake pans.

9. Bake in a moderate oven (350°) on rack placed in the middle, for about 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

10. When done take out off the oven and cool for several minutes, before attempting to carefully shake the cakes out of the rounds onto a wire rack to completely cool.

11. Continue to proceed making the icing, called the BOILED ICING.

The Icing
Granulated Sugar 2 cups
Water ½ cup
Egg Whites from 2 large eggs
Cream of tartar 1/8 tsp
Almonds ½ cup, finely chopped
Lemon juice 1 tsp

Method:

1. Heat the water hot in a sauce pan and add the sugar to it at once. Bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to boil until it strings (put back of spoon, which is sitting in cold water into sauce pan and lift before your eyes. When the sugar syrup runs down the back and forms almost a visible string the sugar syrup is ready to be used). DO NOT STIR!

2. Set aside and cool slightly.

3. Meanwhile beat the egg whites to a stiffly peak, slowly pour the sugar water to it very carefully, and blend well on medium speed, going on high for the last few seconds

4. Add the cream of tartar first, followed by the finely chopped almonds and the lemon juice. Blend briefly but thoroughly.

5. When thick and smooth spread the icing between each layer of cake rounds, with Spreading spatula, starting with the first as bottom, spreading the icing on the top, setting the seconds on top of that, spreading again, setting the third on top of the second and icing the entire three layers until covered. You may want to sprinkle the outside with some additional almond splits, for decoration purpose.
Erin

camillachick

Reaction score
Here's a type of jello my mom makes at Christmas. It is my very favorite.

Cranberry Salad:

1 cup boiling water

1 box of red jello any flavor

combine the two and mix completely

1/2 cup sour cream

1 can cranberry jelly (the kind that comes out in the shape of the can- no
whole cranberries)

blend together till uniform in color using blender (best) or mixer (do-able)

pour into dish and place in fridge until firm- it will take overnight so you won't be able to eat it in the same day, sorry

The recipe originally called for walnuts and mandarin orange slices, but as kids we always picked them out. The "salad" turns out just like a smooth, opaque, cranberry flavored jello. Hope you all try it and like it!

lili

Reaction score
help!

i'm holding a valentine's day party for all my single friends to celebrate our freedom, and want to make an amusing and witty meal for them!

any valentiney suggestions??

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Make a strawberry cake, cut it in the shape of a heart and cover it in strawberry icing. If it's a singles deal, maybe cut it open to look like a broken heart. Serve daqueries. Make cookies (heart shaped and angel/cupid shapes). That's all I can think up.