Red Sox play the Yankees Tonight

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Anyways. The Curse is specific to the Sox/Yankees, it didn't apply to any other matches with other teams.
Hmmm. I'm fairly certain that The Curse is the Red Sox inability to win the World Series since 1918. The Curse won't "officially" be broken until they win the World Series. Thus, Buckner's missed ground ball and the resulting collapse in the 1986 series is indeed part of it. In fact, the term "The Curse of the Bambino" was coined shortly after that loss to the Mets.

It's true that the Yankees have been a major part of The Curse over the years, but that's largely the result of them being rivals and in the same division/league.

Whatever

Reaction score
Beebers said:
We do not mention Bill B******'s name in these parts. Ahem.
What's wrong with Bill Baretta? He is a King Prawn, okay? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad you don't have anything against the Cardinals, because there is a little matter about me being born in St. Louis and being a Cardinal fan. :embarrassed: Although not an obsessed one, I rarely know if they're winning or losing.

Beebers

Reaction score
Amazing Mumford said:
Hmmm. I'm fairly certain that The Curse is the Red Sox inability to win the World Series since 1918. The Curse won't "officially" be broken until they win the World Series. Thus, Buckner's missed ground ball and the resulting collapse in the 1986 series is indeed part of it. In fact, the term "The Curse of the Bambino" was coined shortly after that loss to the Mets.

It's true that the Yankees have been a major part of The Curse over the years, but that's largely the result of them being rivals and in the same division/league.
There have always been two interpretations of The Curse - the Yankee-specific one I put forward earlier, and the one that you cite. Sportswriters over the years have been split pretty much 50-50 in their interpretation - on the Thursday after Game 7 more than 50% were writing that the Curse was finished, regardless of Series outcome. For many, many people all around the country the real Series has just been played. Among serious Soxfans, Curse theorizing goes about 65-35 with the majority leaning to the first interpretation.
In my own heart I know it's broken - that is partly instinct, and partly because I've always subscribed to the first idea of what territory the Curse covered, if in fact it existed.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Beebers

Reaction score
Whatever said:
What's wrong with Bill Baretta? He is a King Prawn, okay?
They would have done BETTER to have had Bill BARETTA out there with PEPE in his hand to grab the BALL that day. Oh, man, the pain, the pain.

:grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:

Whatever

Reaction score
Beebers said:
They would have done BETTER to have had Bill BARETTA out there with PEPE in his hand to grab the BALL that day. Oh, man, the pain, the pain.

:grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:
BREATHE, okay? Breathe. It was just a joke.

Beebers

Reaction score
There is no breathing going on out here when the subject of Buckner comes up. No breathing.

I should clarify my Curse comments in that - it does/did very much exist, just as the Cubbies' curse does; it was an actual curse thrown upon the Sox, but I think curses only gain active currency if their effect is to rattle the recipient enough that they become self-fulfilling prophecies, and i.m.h.o. that's what happened over the years.

GOGOGOSOXSOXSOX.

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
The game is to start soon. It's so nice having a series to watch where I don't feel blood boiling hatred for one of the teams!

McFraggle

Reaction score
I think the curse is actually the World Series one, if they win that then it is over. The fun is just beginning. :crazy:

Whatever

Reaction score
Beebers said:
There is no breathing going on out here when the subject of Buckner comes up. No breathing.
At least you already have a blue face, so it doesn't show. :cool:

Beebers

Reaction score
McFraggle said:
I think the curse is actually the World Series one, if they win that then it is over. The fun is just beginning.
That's what I mean, there are two schools of theory where the Curse is concerned. Some feel it was finished with the Yanks playoff, some won't feel it's done till the Sox have a Series win. All the serious sports analysts are saying Sox in seven games.
I respect both teams, they've both worked extraordinarily hard to get here and are going to give us fantastic baseball all the way.

11-9 Sox last night!!!!! Good close game.
Some stats -
60% of the teams who win the first game go on to win the Series.
Of the last 19 Series winners 15 teams had won the first game.
This was the highest-scoring first Series game in history.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

SOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOXSOX