1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Saturday Morning memories thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xerus, May 7, 2008.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Being a male observer, I feel that Barbie at least was a role model after a while. I mean, she had jobs. Bratz seem like the pretty, vapid, one-dimensional girl that marries for money, and only uses male companionship to get stuff so that they don't have to work a day in their lives... and they eventually grow into... well, anyone here watch "2 and a half men"? You know... Charlie and Alan's mother.

Plus, I watched an episode of Bratz once, and it was just a terrible show anyway. And the CGI animation was poor. And there wasn't one episode I didn't see a preview of (during TMNT of course) where they didn't shove in an American Idol reference.

Only thing I like about the Disney channel stuff I'm, always screaming about is that it seems to be killing the Bratz's popularity. I still hate the stuff, but even that stuff ain't as bad as Bratz.

And to think, that was created by a dirty old Master Roshi like guy!
  2. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

Well, even the name, Bratz implies a negative behavior/image. I'm not saying that I judge things solely on name... but give me a break. That alone gives obnoxious vibes.

If a pre-established character already has certain character traits, then by all means, they should keep them. It annoys me to see characters who change labels and attitudes just for the sake of "keeping up with the times." And sometimes, exaggerating personality traits of a weak character can make for a more enjoyable character that people may be more likely to relate to.

The funny thing about stereotypes, archetypes and labels is that more often than not they have true life basis. Otherwise, it wouldn't be funny or relatable. But I sincerely hope that creators (myself included) don't become slaves to cookie cutter labels and personalities and that we can expand on and discover new character types.
  3. Drtooth

And rest assured, it wasn't even remotely clever a show. It was sludge on every level. They even managed to shove in a villain that's an obvious parody of Barbie, making her a rich old Cruella DeVille type hag. Insult to injury for Mattel, right? it could have at least been a clever satire, but they opted for something like those old Sega Genisis commercials saying that Sonic is a rebel, and Mario is a conformist, and owning a Nintendo instead of a Sega makes you an out of touch dope.

I wonder if Transormers ever made a hard stab at Go-Bots... they should've.

Anyway, anyone else remember when they also had cartoons on Sundays too? It was local syndicated stuff, and a lot of it was reruns of older shows... but that was just great. Cartoons on both weekend days. That was amazing. Now all Sundays are for are shoving Aqua Kids at 6 AM and Made in Hollywood: Teen Edition sometime in the afternoon. Gets back to my previous statement... they basically just make these terrible, bland little shows they know no kid is gonna want to watch so the stations can keep their FCC license.
  4. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I too remember how Sunday cartoons were neat back then. Back in the 70's, we watched reruns of Hanna-Barbera cartoons like Penelope Pitstop, Stop the Pigeon, and Wacky Races. Sure they were repeats, but they were new to me back then.

And the 80's featured a series of new HB Sunday cartoons called the Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. I really loved Yogi's Treasure Hunt. Along with Super Sunday where Jem first aired along with the scary but cool cartoon, the Inhumanoids.

The 90's featured Sunday cartoons such as The Lionhearts and All Dogs Go To Heaven the Series.

Mostly, these Sundays I sleep in and then get ready for eleven o'clock church. But I do enjoy a PBS safety cartoon called the Danger Rangers.
  5. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

I was never a fan of the sunday cartoon the networks showed back in the day. The one's on saturday were the ones to watch.
  6. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I don't think I ever watched cartoons on Sundays. My parents (well, my mom) were too busy making me do churchy things :p
  7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I used to get in some carton time before church.
  8. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I watched most of my cartoons on Saturday so I guess Sundays weren't a problem.
  9. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

10. Drtooth

I reiterate.... Junk food commercials CAN co-exist with PSA's about healthy eating. The only PSA's I ever seem to see are about staying away from Mail Trucks... not joking on this one. Where the heck are kids getting run over by so many mail trucks, and how lazy do you have to be as a parent to tell kids not to run in the street?
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

If they stopped showing animated PSA's, then animation would really be in trouble.
  12. Drtooth

Well, the only animated PSA's I've seen basically use clips from movies (There are several Disney made using The Little Mermaid for conservation and preservation of oceans, Cars for car safety, and Meet the Robinsons for young inventors). The mail truck one, I must admit is funny and well animated, but I didn't realize that was an issue. I saw this one about Thunder and Lightning, and the animation looked like something a grade school student did in five minutes...
  13. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

The latest poitical message I saw was several of the cars from the Pixar movie "Cars" talking about using a seatbelt and what not. But that was a few years ago.
  14. Drtooth

Yeah.. the one with the seatbelts. They still run that from time to time. I think the Cinderella "booster seat" PSA was a total stretch though...
  15. xoch156

xoch156 New Member

How I miss Saturday Morning Cartoons. I used to watch PacMan, ScoobyDoo, Great Space Coaster, Muppet Babies, School House Rock.
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I used to watch PacMan! Of course not doing it's original run, heh!
  17. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I noticed that each decade of cartoons had a different fad the networks kept trying to copy.

In the 70's, when Scooby Doo became popular, networks tried to make a whole bunch of teen mystery solving cartoons. Otherwise known as "Meddling Kids!" There was Goober and the Ghost Chasers, Clue Club, Jabberjaw, Fangface, The Phunky Phantom, The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, Josie and the Pussycats, Rickety Rocket, and Speed Buggy.

The 80's were about action figures like G.I. Joe, He-man, and Thundercats. Also cartoons about sitcom stars like Gary Coleman, Punky Brewster, The Dukes, Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Shirley, and the Fonz.

The 90's allowed cartoons to be zany and off the wall like Ren and Stimpy and Animaniacs. Plus after the popularity of the Ninja Turtles, they started making cartoons about human-like animal warriors like Biker Mice From Mars, Street Sharks, and Road Rovers.

And in the 00's, after the success of Pokemon. Monster collecting shows became the new thing like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Duel Masters, Dinosaur King, Magi-Nation, and the upcoming new series Huntik.

I just wonder what fad the 10's will bring?
  18. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

LOL! Oh man some kids must be really stupid
    "Out of the way; I'm going to murder you, I'm a Mail enthusiast!"
  19. Drtooth

It's not so much kids as their lazy parents that expect their kids to raise themselves watching TV. Which, by and by, is why we have this mess to begin with. I still say, where the heck are the likes of Timer, and all them blokes who came in and said not to eat junk food every five seconds? Apparently, they can take breakfast cereals off the market, make children's programming unprofitable, but when it comes to educating kids about making smart choices they're all thumbs. :D

Seriously... if you're not smart enough to know a big vehicle could hurt you, you may just be too stupid to leave the house. Ha ha...

On a positive note, it seems Cartoon Network has indeed decided to stop with its live action initiative... Kamen Rider is going to air on the CW4Kids instead of CN as originally intended... but then again, nothing is stopping them from airing irrelevant live action movies in random places. Adventures in Babysitting? If you really want to watch it that badly, Target has them on DVD for like 4 bucks... :insatiable:
  20. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

They said starting in Januray, FOX's 4Kids Saturday morning lineup will officially end. I checked my TiVo guide for this Saturday and it looks like they will still be showing just reruns of Sonic X, Biker Mice From Mars, and Di-Gata Defenders while the other two hours will be infomercials. So it looks like FOX 4Kids might only be halfway gone for now.