1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Scooter Appreciation Thread For The Most Underappraciated, Disrespected Muppet of Ever

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Scooterforever, Nov 28, 2011.

?

Do you hate Scooter?

1. Yes, because I'm a terrible person

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. No, because I'm wonderful

58 vote(s)
    96.7%
  3. Maybe, but I have no backbone so I can't make up my mind

1 vote(s)
    1.7%

1. FletchySRF3088

FletchySRF3088 Active Member

I think within the fanbase, he's more appreciated and loved. But outside that, maybe not so much; People who are casual fans per se, would usually pick Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal or even Pepe as their favourite Muppet. Here in the UK, a movie magazine called Empire did a 20 page spread on The Muppets. There was a section where celebrities mentioned who their favourite character is - Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Beaker, Robin, Janice, Animal, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Floyd all were chosen but not one person picked Scooter :(
    DramaQueenMokey likes this.
  2. DramaQueenMokey

DramaQueenMokey Well-Known Member

I agree with Scooter being loved more in the fanbase area and it's kind of sad that he's not loved more outside of it, he deserves the love!
  3. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I don't see why anybody can hate Scooter. He's a fantastic character for the show. He's a great assistant to Kermit as well as others to help control the craziness that occurs a lot of times. Not only that, he's a wonderful performer for the production numbers during the show. What I like about Scooter is he likes to help others whenever they need it.
    DramaQueenMokey likes this.
  4. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

No offense but I kinda think that the poll is a little biased. I myself love Scooter. But I haven't seen any outright hatred for him in the fan community or outside. But even if someone doesn't care for him it doesn't nessecarily make them evil or spineless or haveing hatred for him.

I really like Scooter. My nickname when I do films and when I volunteer for Disaster Relief is Scooter. I love how on top of things he is even if he isn't the oldest of the group. And he's just got such a vibrant spirit to me.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There was ONE stupid blog that had a very poorly written article about the "Worst Muppets" and he was somehow on the list (with Janice and Robin, which I don't get either... everyone knows the worst is Miss Mousy). I think that's what caused the first poster to make this thread. Outrage of one poorly written blog.

Scooter hasn't had a presence in later Muppet films until about MFS's tiny cameo, leading up to a couple lines in VMX, a few more lines in MOz, a couple lines in Studio DC, an actual role in LTS and this new movie. I tend to think as a result, people kinda forgot about Scooter...
  6. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I got the impression that Scooter was initially retired after R. Hunt's death out of respect, since Scooter was his biggest character, but I think said retirement also severely hurt the character's popularity. It also seemed kind of odd for the JHC to retire Scooter since Hunt's other popular characters, such as Beaker and Statler, were just as prominent as ever in Muppet projects following his untimely death.
  7. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

I've always thought it was because Scooter was so similar to Richard, so much of his personality was based off of Richard's own. That's not something that can be easily duplicated or replaced; look at how many performers Scooter has had since his return before David Rudman took him up.

-Kim
  8. Scooterforever

Yeah, that's a good point. I still wish he wouldn't have vanished after Richard's untimely death, but if The Muppets is anything to go by, it looks like they're bringing him back full time.
  9. Drtooth

I don't know if they fully retired the character so much as they didn't consider recasting him for a while, and they just couldn't find a good recast. I say this every time, but I'm stumped as to why they took so long to recast Scooter with David Rudman, since he was recast as a lot of Richard's characters going as far back as playing Sweetums in The Cosby Show while Richard was playing the sausage sandwich. It clearly had to be some sort of problem between Sesame Street's New York location, and the various locations they film Muppet projects. Though I swear David did some additional puppetry stuff in some of the movies.
  10. bingboingcutie

bingboingcutie Active Member

Oops. Yeah, I meant Scooter fansite. You should turn it into a blog on blogspot.
    Yeah, who doesn't like Scooter? We ALL do!

And what's LTS?
  11. Scooterforever

Hmm, I did not know that about Rudman. You learn something new every day.
  12. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

LTS stands for Letters to Santa. The 2008 NBC Muppet special where the Muppet troupe (including Scooter) attempt to help a girl in their apartment building get her letter to Santa.
  13. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Yeah. It seems like they had the same concerns about Rowlf since he was rarely used after Henson's death and when he was seen he wouldn't seen. It was said that this was done out of respect to Henson, but it's good to see him coming back into the spotlight as well.
  14. Drtooth

Among other things, I keep hearing complaints that Rowlf sounds a bit too much like Bobo, even though Bobo's voice WAS (this is from Baretta himself... I think he said it in a tough Pigs interview) a tribute to Jim's. You are seeing more of him now that he's officially recast, and I'm glad that we are. Rowlf and Scooter were always sort of main characters... they were main enough to be Muppet Babies.
  15. Scooterforever

Yeah, Scooter was definitely a main character on TMS itself, and he really got a boost from the cold openings in seasons 2-4 as well.
  16. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Those were really funny! But really, Scooter's a great character and I'm glad we're seeing more of him. This might help get rid of the disrespect.
  17. Scooterforever

I should hope so. I cast Scooter as Argyle, the limo driver, in my Muppets/ Die Hard fan fic which I plan to write sometime...at some point.
  18. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the other day of a character that kind of reminded me of Scooter. The 1982 film My Favorite Year about the makings of a comedy TV show in the 1950s. The main character is a young junior writer on the team who is given all the unglamorous jobs like bringing the coffee and occasionally messes up, yet also has a certain wry confidence and humor about him. That's Muppet Show Scooter to me, he's sort of sitting back and watching all the insanity of the grown up world and knows the score even better than the adults do, lol.
    We Got Us likes this.
  19. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

I admit that I didn't have too many feelings about Scooter one way or the other when I was younger. I liked him well enough, but he wasn't my fav or anything. However, I've come to like him more in recent years, and he had one of my favorite lines in a Muppet movie *ever* in "Great Muppet Caper" when he says that his luggage got sucked out of the plane and luckily his radio is frozen to his wrist. I crack up every time. XD It's good to see him returning to prominence, and David Rudman seems to be doing a promising job!
  20. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Scooter is my little Boy's favorite Muppet! So much, that I'm going to (soon) be making him a homemade Scooter plushie or Muppet! Haven't decided that yet.

Having said that, it was never my impression that Scooter was ignored, imo, he was featured just as much as any of the main characters on the show, as well as in the movies. Though I can see the impression of him being overlooked or ignored since the 90's (of course he's been back for a while in the most recent Muppet productions).

Scooter is fantastic!! Don't feel too bad Kermit. ;)