The eBay Muppet Knock-off Thread

puppetise

Reaction score
puppetmancan said:
i thought puppetise was a 15 year old girl, my bad. .
its kool but selling other ppls creations isnt fair i would h8 it if some one did that to me

rtgentry

Reaction score
I actually spoke with a disney lawyer about performing the muppet characters in public like in libraries and hospitals and stuff. He said basically if it is not something that you are charging for and if its a free show like for education or hospitals then they are fine with that. So as far as performing the muppets or donald or mickey, as long as its a good cause and its free, they are okay.

Melonpool

Reaction score
rtgentry said:
I actually spoke with a disney lawyer about performing the muppet characters in public like in libraries and hospitals and stuff. He said basically if it is not something that you are charging for and if its a free show like for education or hospitals then they are fine with that. So as far as performing the muppets or donald or mickey, as long as its a good cause and its free, they are okay.
Do you have that in writing?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Boba Lynn said:
A little FYI, It is still copyright infringment wether you build for yourself, family, friends, or eBay.
Wether you do it for yourself or make money, your still in the wrong as far as legality.
I have been into props and costumes along time and this same discussion rears it's ugly head from time to time on the prop forums I belong to.
Lynn
Isnt when you make it for yourself or friends called "Fan Art"? Other wise even if you were to draw a Muppet for a competition or whatever, then technically you are breaking the law. I beleive they allow for Fan activity.:halo:

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
Isnt when you make it for yourself or friends called "Fan Art"? Other wise even if you were to draw a Muppet for a competition or whatever, then technically you are breaking the law. I beleive they allow for Fan activity.:halo:
Yes, they do allow for fan activity, but techincally it is still copyright infringment no matter what way you look at it wether it is for personal use or for sale if they wanted to push it for what ever reason.
Thus the reason I said this thread is nothing but a eBay Muppet police stooly thread for people that are doing but nothing more then fan activity by doing a little selling on eBay and this thread is just plain wrong.

Most big Co.'s do allow for fan activity/fan art and generally leave the fan boys and casual sales alone, it is when you get too big or are in it for the money when they come to get you, or you are a little guy and just happens to be on at the wrong time when they come looking for big people and you get snagged.
I have seen this many times on the prop boards I belong to and I know people that have been hit or where close to being hit.

Paramount and WB most of the time are the exception and just snag and Vero anyone on eBay wether you are a one time sale or a big seller, if you are on at the wrong time when they are looking you are snagged.

If you get too big or make to much noise selling or what ever, it is a matter of time that you will get busted, if you keep it low profile doing a little fan activity as the auctions posted here are nothing more then that have been, you are generally "safe", that is just the way it is.

It is what we call a "grey area" on the prop boards for what we do, but it still techincally copyright infringment no matter what way you look at it or call it.
Lynn

intozlight

Reaction score
Although technically you are still breaking copyright if you have any kind of unauthorized perlormance, I believe the lawyer was trying to say that they pick and choose their battles. They probably would not waste their time with someone that was not profiting, (But that doesn't mean that they can't).
Under copyright law you can be prosecuted even if you are not enriched. (check the language in the warning on most new DVD's) But in most cases they are not going to bother with you, unless it is becoming a big problem and they want to make an example.

puppetise

Reaction score
i have no problem with building for yoursellf but selling ticks me off

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
At 15 alot of things will "Tick" you off.......That's why grown ups understand these things. I Totally agree with Lynn, I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
Zoot The Saxman said:
I Totally agree with Lynn, I couldn't have said it better myself!!!
Thanks!!

This thread is a total insult to what this board is about.

People should know better then to start trash like this, it serves nobody any good and is ment to stir up a mess.

You guys making fun of those other people's puppets really need to stand back and look at how bad you really sound, this isn't what this board is about, you need to be ashamed of your selves for picking on others people work.

I'm sure JH would be ashamed of you as well if he read these coments, I know I am and I'm a noob.

People gotta start somewhere, my Kermit puppet my not be the greatest either, but I'm trying and it is a start.

Lynn