1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Muppet Show Season 3 arrives May 20, 2008

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by TimmyMonsterIL, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Muppet Show Season Three on DVD!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Muppet-Season-3/8861

I'm really excited about the special features, especially the "Muppets on Puppets" documentary, I've always wanted to see that.

I'm glad Disney's cleaning up their act when it comes to the Muppets right now... I mean that while two year wait for Season Two after Season One was ridiculous!
  2. RKUNKLER

RKUNKLER New Member

I wonder if it will have the commercials included. The fourth season should have :concern: and the fifth season should have :sympathy: on it.
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The more I think about it, since Disney changed DVD design companies they could be planning a more complete Season One SE release upon completion? It's a possibility. Maybe DVD company expense and expertise had something to do with rights negotiations and that has been cleared up with the new guys. Double-dipping for complete sets doesn't upset me.

I think season 5 will have Animal, Scooter, Beaker, Rowlf or the Swedish Chef (in that order). Animal is most likely.
  4. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Oh, they were definitely different years. The concept was the same... Jim explaining puppetry and especially the Muppets, but I think there was better, more specific information in the B&W version. For instance, Don Sahlin and Jim show exactly how a Muppet goes from concept drawing to finished puppet, even down to what materials they use. This was where I learned how to make puppets, especially puppets that look like Muppets.

As I recall, the color one was less specific.

There also is a long segment where they put on a little puppet play with Rowlf as the narrator. Then they do it again with the camera behind the puppet wall. You actually get to see Jim performing Rowlf. It's really cool! I don't think they did this in the color version.

:p
  5. I have a feeling that they will choose the colour version over the b&w. Only because it will fit in better with the rest of the material on the discs. The original version may be a little too old for them to include on a box set containing shows from the late '70s. Do we know when the colour version was filmed?
  6. Telly

Telly Active Member

I guess I didn't look closely at the DVD box of the third season. I just read the article. Oops. Anywho, yeah I totally think Rowlf should be the cover on the fifth season set. I kinda wish they'd have Kermit's face on the first one since that seems to be the trend that's going on now.
  7. The first season in the UK has Kermit, Piggy and Fozzie in front of a red curtain on it. They are all modern looking versions of the characters too. The second season in the UK is the same as the US one. No idea why they decided to change the first.
  8. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

WOWWWW!
    Thats a shock seriously.
    And its great that there putting The Muppets On Puppets with it, even though i have it, hah, i get a better copy yay :)
    hahhaa
  9. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

That is the version of season one's cover that we received here in Australia as well.
  10. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

This is great! Very excited. At this rate we should have the whole series by the middle of next year or sooner.
  11. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

So it IS true! And just in time for my birthday. Wha-hooo!

Also yay for Sylvester Stallone and Alice Cooper episodes! >: D

Cover photo of Fozzie looks pretty nice, but why is he licking the number 3? :o (What kind of fan would I be if I didn't nitpick? Muahaha).

SO EXCITED! This is great news!
  12. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

I can't find anything on the internet about the remake. All the sites only list the 1968 version, which is the B&W one. I did find a nice description of it on the The Jim Henson Works at the University of Maryland site:

Jim Henson and Rowlf the Dog explain the art of puppetry, from building to performance. Henson describes the various kinds of puppets; demonstrates how to operate a hand puppet; and provides a brief history of puppet development and performance throughout the world. Includes: Rowlf talking about and introducing the Muppets; Don Sahlin demonstrating the use of special effects and how to build a puppet; and a demonstration of how to make simple puppets from materials found at home.

Puppeteers, Frank Oz, Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl; puppet builder, Don Sahlin.

This is definitely the B&W version. I have a not too great copy of it. I swear I didn't dream the color version. I saw it when I worked for PBS... which was also the way I got to meet Jim.

:p
  13. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I guess he wants to see what it tastes like. ;) Why was Piggy smelling the number 2 on the last set?

Perhaps the next set will have Gonzo listening to the number 4.
  14. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I'm not crazy about the design either. I really like your peeking from behind the hat concept.

As we saw with Piggy's bangs on the Season 2 cover, they could still tweak the design before the release. I do think they could have done better here... even using the same image. I think it would look better if they just zoomed-in a bit more so Fozzie's face really filled the whole box (get rid of those empty gaps under his ears and cut off the brim of the hat). Here's a mock-up of what I'm talking about.

But whatever, I would buy these even if it was just a plain white box with no pictures on it. Aside from the brief time between taking the box off my shelf and putting the disc in my player I really don't look at the cover. At least it looks like the spine will match-up with the other 2 nicely and so it will still look nice on my shelf. ;) When it comes to DVDs all I really care about is the disc content, not the silly packaging; this set will have hours of quality content so I'm more than happy.
  15. If they zoomed in on Fozzie's eye and brow area it would fit in with the other two releases a little better. Kermit's collar, Piggy's nose and then Fozzie's eyes.
  16. zns

zns Well-Known Member

I don't care at all about the packaging design or the lack of the "Muppet Morsels". All that matters is that the third season is coming out, which to me, shows that Disney is doing all they can to help bring out our very Muppets.

I do, however, have one question. The making of the Muppets documentary, is that supposed to be "Of Muppets and men" or some brand new interviews and footage with the cast and crew?
  17. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if Gonzo makes the cover of Season 4 DVD set. But I'm still wondering if Season 5 will have Rowlf, Animal or Scooter making the cover. :confused:

But I'm sure that they will all look AWESOME!
  18. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

So Alice Cooper IS on season 3? :flirt: WOO-HOO! My dad was actually right for once when he said that he was on season 3, lol

and I noticed the fozzie thing too. I thought it was kinda funny
  19. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

hahahahahahah that would be so funny!
    & the news of this set so soon is amazing 2008 is already starting off as a great year.
    I've love to see the release of the frog prince some time soon also.:)
  20. David French

David French Member

While it's disappointing that the Morsels won't be on future sets, I can't say that I'm too sad that they won't available. As good as they were, I think the problem is that compared with other DVDs that use a similar format, they didn't go in to great detail about certain aspects of each episode - eg scenes/skits edited out, differences between script and screen, dates when skits were taped etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.