The Videogame Thread

karamazov80

Reaction score
Yeah, more systems came with a gun I believe. Does anybody remember the robot that came with Nintendo when it first came out?
Rob the Robot! He has had a kind of resurgence of late, appearing in the Mario Kart games and Super Smash Brothers Brawl for the Wii.

A buddy of mine had the Power Glove, and it never worked right for me.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That's right, his name was R.O.B! I've always wanted a R.O.B! He actually is pretty real looking in that picture from Brawl!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
good luck, I hear they are super expensive now. but they sure are cute :big_grin:

karamazov80

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw a videogame documentary a few weeks ago, and they were talking about how bad Colecovision and Atari, etc. did toward the end of their respective runs, and how Nintendo was really a gamble here in the states. I think they threw all that stuff together, with all the gimmicks like the gun and robot, etc., in order to really try to set themselves apart from the videogames that went before. Of course, Nintendo's traditional games
ended up being so good that the gimmicks were really unnecessary, and ROB and the zapper were pretty much obsolete by 1988 or so since no games were being made for either add-on.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean he zapper kind of stuck around a little while longer. And it's true that the video game industry went under and Nintendo save it.That why they branded it as an "entertainment" system and not a video game consul and added the robot and gun.

There's actually a movie in the world about how a Atari rose to fame and then went under. I think Leonardo Dicaprio What to play the head, lol!

karamazov80

Reaction score
There's actually a movie i the world about how a Atari rose to fame and then went under. I think Leonardo Dicaprio What to play the head, lol!
I saw that, too. . .on an somewhat related note, have you seen "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters"? Excellent, excellent documentary about a Donkey Kong controversy, that is actually being made into a dramatic movie, strangely enough.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I saw that, too. . .on an somewhat related note, have you seen "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters"? Excellent, excellent documentary about a Donkey Kong controversy, that is actually being made into a dramatic movie, strangely enough.
I saw that on G4 the other day, it was pretty good. but there turning it into a dramatic movie? thats interesting,