1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

TV shows you wish would come back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miss kermie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That one keeps getting renewed. There's something that's supposed to come up in 2013. It's just an untitled project title so far.

I don't know what to think about the cel shading, but it does look like regular animation if you squint hard enough. But I doubt we'll see it in the US anytime soon.
    Hayley B likes this.
  2. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Wow, to the change. It's not that bad. It does look like regular animation. Just alot movement then there needs to be. Hopefully it will come to the U.S. someday. I wonder how they reunited with the adults, so far. Just some that clip.
  3. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

^ *rewatched it a couple more times * scratch that about the movement. The animation is fine. I just miss this show. Now, I'm really hoping theey'll bring it to the U.S.. Just hearing the theme song in another language was putting water in my eyes.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

The Planet's Funniest Animals.

The original version at least, where Matt Gallant hosted, and it didn't try to be an exact rip-off of America's Funniest Home Videos like the revamp with Keegan Michael Key was.
  5. Drtooth

I like the animation here better than Iron Man: Armored Adventures. They seem to try to hide the CGI-ness of the show, and it almost looks like full on regular animation. I bet it was done by the same anime studio that did the obscure series "Freedom." it took me 2 episodes to realize it was cel shaded.
    |
    Also looks like the original character designs are in tact. That's pretty rare.
  6. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

While watching the old Dark Shadows show on Roku (Hulu Plus). I wish a channel would air reruns of this show again. Just the real old show only, though.
  7. Drtooth

It probably would have been all over the place if the Johnny Depp/Tim Burton movie did well. If there's one thing I hate, it's when the movie kills the franchise. That's why it took so long for Bullwinkle to hit DVD, and why Inspector Gadget never got to enjoy the comeback most 80's cartoons did.
  8. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

MORK AND MINDY!!!
  9. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

just cause i was great i hope one day they bring back space ghost coast to coast just cause it was great
    Hayley B likes this.
  10. Drtooth

Say that to Robin Williams face, and he'll probably make a derisive sneer at you. :)
    Hayley B and miss kermie like this.
  11. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Spitting Image
    Dinosaurs (Kind of hard to bring back with a solid ending episode)
    Invader Zim
    SuperNews!
    2DTV
    Headcases
    Contra Informaco
    The Ren & Stimpy Show
    Hey Arnold
    Kenan & Kel
    All That
    Basicly all the 90s Nickelodeon Shows and early 2000s Cartoon Network shows
    I really miss Ed Edd N Eddy, that was a great show!
    There's so many shows I'd love for them to come back and of course a New Muppet show, though I think I would just keep editing and posting more updates on my post if I tried to list them all. lol I'm a TV DVD collector so that would probably explain it. :)
  12. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump, but lately I've been watching Ren and Stimpy. Boy, what a great show! Most of the stuff on it would never fly on today's TV. Which is another reason I love the show, they dared to be risky and different.
    beatnikchick300 likes this.
  13. Drtooth

Let's not forget what happened the last time they brought Ren and Stimpy back. Do we really want that to happen again? :electric:
    BobThePizzaBoy likes this.
  14. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, what he said. I don't think anyone wants a 20-minute episode about who's the pitcher and who's the catcher again.
  15. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Well-Known Member

I think that's the case with a lot of shows '90s kids like me used to watch. I'm watching old episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark? on YouTube as we speak, and I'm thinking, if they were to bring that show back (again), they'd be certain to botch it up somehow.
  16. Drtooth

The case of Ren and Stimpy Adult cartoon party is a strange one. It's not so much bringing back the show that was the problem. They brought it back for the right audience the wrong way. What made Ren and Stimpy so clever was how adult it was without being obvious about it. You don't need to make a Bugs Bunny short R rated to get adult attention, you just have to keep throwing in vague references that only adults get. In fact, it's more clever that way. Ren and Stimpy were always a couple, they just were very very subtle about it. Well.. arguably more subtle than the Catcher pitcher bit.

But a good amount of that was Spike's meddling. They wanted them not just to push the envelope, but to throw it the heck off the table to match the other poorly overdone adult cartoons Spike had at the time, Stripperella (blech) and Gary the Rat. The pitcher Cather thing was supposed to go completely different and actually be them playing baseball. Nope. Spike wanted sex. And here's the thing... the Ren and Stimpy classics did better in the ratings. All they really needed to do was just make More Ren and Stimpy shorts the original way, maybe based off of unproduced scripts Nick had lying around, and it would've gotten the audience it should have. Heck, they should have run Ripping Friends run on Spike. That was waaaay to esoteric for Fox Kids anyway (and it wasn't Power Rangers or Digimon... plus Fox Kids expired by the end of that season anyway).

But my problem was Ren went from being a lovable jerk to outright abusive. Stimpy's Pregnant was pretty painful to watch. Still.. not as bad as Aloha Hoek.
  17. Drtooth

Double post for some reason.

One show I was wanting to come back, actually did.

Unfortunately, the dub isn't half as much fun as the 4Kids one (and considering 4Kids, that's saying something... it's one of the few shows, if any, that actually was better). Sigh.. that was waaaaay too esoteric for American kids.
  18. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't realize they brought it back like that. Amazon has "Best of" episodes, so I still really haven't seen a ton. The subtle humor of the show is what I love. I'll have to check out the newer ones, (not that they're new anymore), just to see how bad they are.

Personally, I like the episode with Space Madness. Ren is just so hilarious about his ice cream bar. :crazy:
  19. ncchuck

ncchuck Active Member

i liked the norm show and spin city( mjf eps)
  20. Drtooth

Space Madness is great. Not only does Ren's sanity slippage have a brilliant structure to it (Games animation episodes try too hard to make Ren go insane), but his entire "You like the same things I do" speech references some crazy obscure movie from the 50's, adding to the natural 1950's cartoon nostalgia the series has. There's nothing quite as good as the original Spumco episodes of the classic series. There are some good Games ones, but most of them try too hard and miss the point. You end up with a Xerox of a Xerox.

The reason most of these things don't work? Lightening in a bottle. You can't emulate something without looking like you tried too hard. You either end up with something that's almost there, or something that soullessly retreads and rehashes what was once great.

I'd love to see new cartoons with Freakazoid, but they wouldn't be the same. The show was the way it was because no one knew what the heck they were doing. The second season, while funny, was too structured and lost that "What the heck was that?!" feel to it. Trying to copy that amazing lightning in a bottle that could only come with not giving a crap and going completely crazy would only lead to insincere, scripted insanity.