Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
They still need to find a way to work Gerry Parks into the movie. It just isn't right without him. :smirk:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Is that DOC Van Dyke?

I'd love him to at least have a major cameo. That would be a crowd pleaser.

I'm more disturbed by what it will do to all Lighthouse canon...but I think Fraggle Rock is beyond fixing on that regard already :stick_out_tongue:

Mokey's sweet

Reaction score
I don't think, internastionaly the film will work, you see, one of the elements of Fraggle Rock is that every country it's shown in the DOC is diffrent, so it would blend into the culture, so only the american version of Fraggle Rock had The Doc in it. In my country, England, instead of a workshop we had a lighthouse keeper called the Captain, who also had a dog called Sproket. in France it was a Cheif, in Germany a Baker ect. so only you americans would be fermiliar with the DOC, so most fans around the world might get disapointed by the fact that the person that They remember outside the Fraggle hole won't be in the film. unless they did the same as the show and make several diffrent versions of the film.

my country's (England) version opening titles with The Captain;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLruf2IleI
French Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbUVSnlpPLE&feature=related
German Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un4mNmTIC8o

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the hardest part I see for international release. Now, if Doc is only going to be in short scenes, then it's easily fixed with filming it different ways. I mean, DVDs have "alternate scenes" all the time. It's only if Doc is integral to the plot where it becomes a problem.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't posted here in a looooooooooooooooong while.
*Hears echo.

Actually, both human characters in the French and German versions were also named Doc. The French counterpart was a baker, whereas in Germany he was a tinkerer just like in the US version. True though, the French Doc's dog was renamed Croquette, but it was basically the same puppet.
And Scoot? I remember the Britney cardboard cutouts fondly. That and soggy popcorn.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Is that DOC Van Dyke?

I'd love him to at least have a major cameo. That would be a crowd pleaser.

I'm more disturbed by what it will do to all Lighthouse canon...but I think Fraggle Rock is beyond fixing on that regard already :stick_out_tongue:
See, I think that's the magic of Fraggle Rock. For England, somehow they exist in the same way, but with a different location/Doc/Captain/etc.

And if that can happen with different nationalities, then it can also happen with different time periods.

Therefore, if you follow, the recasting of Doc and the fact he doesn't know the Fraggles, could simply be this time period's version of Fraggle Rock. See what I mean?

I don't see them filming a different version for different nationalities this time.

Fluffets

Reaction score
Sounds pretty good but if the characters are like - redesigned or CGI then they better be nice with the fraggles, I don't want :smirk:,:excited: ,:coy: and boober to turn into gothic monsters, but the muppets haven't really changed in more recent times so hopefully us muppet fans will be relieved with the result.
(If said movie gets made.)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good but if the characters are like - redesigned or CGI then they better be nice with the fraggles, I don't want,:excited: ,:coy: and boober to turn into gothic monsters, but the muppets haven't really changed in more recent times so hopefully us muppet fans will be relieved with the result.
(If said movie gets made.)
It's puppets, not CGI and we already got a peek at Red for last year's ComicCon. They'll be the same Fraggles you love and remember. The only thing we're not certain of is the way Jerry Nelson's characters will be handled. I imagine they'll try to dub him in like they do the Count on Sesame Street. Gobo really is Jerry's creation. His voice work can't be replicated.

I do imagine that the doozers might be CGI in wide shots and puppets in close ups, but that's just my guess. :busy:

Fluffets

Reaction score
It's puppets, not CGI and we already got a peek at Red for last year's ComicCon. They'll be the same Fraggles you love and remember. The only thing we're not certain of is the way Jerry Nelson's characters will be handled. I imagine they'll try to dub him in like they do the Count on Sesame Street. Gobo really is Jerry's creation. His voice work can't be replicated.

I do imagine that the doozers might be CGI in wide shots and puppets in close ups, but that's just my guess. :busy:
Super! In such a terrible world we have now, where drugs and violence among other things rule the world we shall now have a new age thanks to the fraggles being brought back to share with us they're peaceful songs and traditions.:excited: It will hopefully be magical.(Sips Coffee) I'm also excited about an apparent new muppet movie thats coming eventually. If its sucessful,
(I pray it will be) then that will open a door for a new series of The Muppet Shooooow! :smile: YAAAAAAY! I wonder if anyone has made a thread about that. P.S wanna be friends?

Drtooth

Reaction score

Man, does anyone besides me even read Corey's Blog? You'll get a good idea what he plans for the film there. That's exactly right, Frogboy... He does NOT want it to be some CGI type deal. As he said with hoodwinked 2, he wants to leave animation and do live action stuff. And I haven't a doubt in my mind he's rewatching the DVD sets over and over and over to get everything just right for us fans while making it a wonderful journey for younger audiences. And yes, I see CGI Doozers and Fraggles in long shots to bulk out the crowd, much like how the opening theme song uses animatronic Fraggles. It's to assist the production and make special effects pop.

Jerry is the only thing I'm slightly concerned with. Barring some Heaven forbid incident, I could see him at least looping dialogue. And no one has yet to have Jerry's quality of voice. Look at Townsend Coleman's Gobo in the cartoon. It sounds almost related, but it's basically the same voice he did for Waldo in the Waldo cartoons (oddly enough, Waldo was almost Gobo-like in animated form).