Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I have that blog bookmarked. :smile:

If they were going to do it CGI, we wouldn't have seen Red at all. Like others said, I can only really see it to populate the backgrounds (the Doozers were so well done though, I can't imagine why you'd need CGI).

Fluffets

Reaction score
Man, does anyone besides me even read Corey's Blog? You'll get a good idea what he plans for the film there. That's exactly right, Frogboy... He does NOT want it to be some CGI type deal. As he said with hoodwinked 2, he wants to leave animation and do live action stuff. And I haven't a doubt in my mind he's rewatching the DVD sets over and over and over to get everything just right for us fans while making it a wonderful journey for younger audiences. And yes, I see CGI Doozers and Fraggles in long shots to bulk out the crowd, much like how the opening theme song uses animatronic Fraggles. It's to assist the production and make special effects pop.

Jerry is the only thing I'm slightly concerned with. Barring some Heaven forbid incident, I could see him at least looping dialogue. And no one has yet to have Jerry's quality of voice. Look at Townsend Coleman's Gobo in the cartoon. It sounds almost related, but it's basically the same voice he did for Waldo in the Waldo cartoons (oddly enough, Waldo was almost Gobo-like in animated form).
Whos waldo? :confused:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Never heard of em, sure you don't mean "Wheres Wally?"?
We call him Waldo in the United States, but he was originally Wally. Just looked it up. You learn something new everyday, I guess. Norway calls him Willy. (chuckling a little bit) :halo:

Fluffets

Reaction score
We call him Waldo in the United States, but he was originally Wally. Just looked it up. You learn something new everyday, I guess. Norway calls him Willy. (chuckling a little bit) :halo:
Lol ROFL willy! :zany:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this, the premise of the Fraggles going into the modern real world. It's a perfectly acceptable story that's been utilized with older TV shows many times. When a similar idea was done with the Brady Bunch movie, it worked because it utilized a bit of humor and parody fans would be familiar with. Plus overall it was a well written, witty script (at least in my opinion hehe).

In contrast, when they tried bringing Fat Albert into the modern real world...well it had its nice moments but overall the jokes fell flat and the plot was confused. Not to mention it bore little resemblance to the original cartoon show. Consequently it did not do well in the theaters.

Same with Bewitched and Rocky and Bullwinkle (again in my opinion); both had nice moments but overall the plots were incoherent and not entirely true to the original shows.

For a Fraggle movie, obviously a balance between the two needs to be achieved. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, as long as the main plot is carried by the fraggles themselves and not the human place where they happen to be I don't mind if they end up time traveling to the 60's :smile:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Exactly too often the emphasis in remakes is on "Oh look they're in OUR world!" rather than just concentrating on the main characters' personalities and what made them successful to begin with. I mean, we see our world all the time, what we want is the Fraggles, hehe. Like in Star Trek IV, the humor came from the Star Trek crew running around 1986 Earth, but the setting itself never became more important than the characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In contrast, when they tried bringing Fat Albert into the modern real world...well it had its nice moments but overall the jokes fell flat and the plot was confused. Not to mention it bore little resemblance to the original cartoon show. Consequently it did not do well in the theaters.
The problem is that it was written by Bill Cosby, and while he was involved in the production, the characters were based off his comedy routine, and he did half the voices, he never actually wrote the series. Plus, I didn't like the stuff about them not being able to eat or do anything unless the writers told them.

Same with Bewitched and Rocky and Bullwinkle (again in my opinion); both had nice moments but overall the plots were incoherent and not entirely true to the original shows.
The Bullwinkle Movie would have been much, much better had it involved Rockey and Bullwinkle aiming around freely. That stupid girl spy (I'm sure some bonehead studio exec forced them to write her in there for some focus group) ruined the movie. Everything but that plot scar was fine.... they even used the same old jokes, including the mistaking Washington the city with Washington the person schtick. Bewitched was just illadvised all around. only one I liked in it was Steve Carell doing a dead on Paul Lynde impersonation.

But I don't think we'd have the same kind of jokes as the other projects mentioned. And that's due to the fact the Fraggles going into outer space in the 80's wouldn't be as different as them going out into Outer Space now, since the Fraggles are mystified by everything that the silly creatures do.... not just make jokes about putting CD's on record players or mispronouncing technological advancements. Everything is a new experience for them. And that's their strength.

That said, whoevwer decided the Dudley Do*right movie had to take place in the 90's, and not the 1890's with out of place technology (like in the cartoon) was ignorant of the source material.