1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JJandJanice, Sep 10, 2006.

1. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Been a while, so here we go:

Igor - Because I've been interested in seeing it and it was on deep discount ($5).

James and the Giant Peach - Because I like it.

Sword in the Stone: 45th Anniversary Edition - It used to be my favorite Disney movie when I was a little kid and it's still in my top 10.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - See 'James and the Giant Peach' and add on a commentary.

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol - Almost as much for the 2010 At the Proms special as for the episode itself, plus I'm a weak nerd.

Doctor Who: The TV Movie - Because, even for all the faults it has due to too many cooks at the soup pot, I love it!

Doctor Who: The Complete Third Series - (Sensing a pattern here?) Because Best Buy finally had it marked down from $80 to $57.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  2. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

Doctor Who! Excellent choices. :D
  3. ZeppoAndFriends

Glad you approve. :smirk:

I might go back and get Series 4 sometime in the near future...if it's still marked off, that is.
  4. Quesal

Quesal Active Member

I got the entire series of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger because it's kid of like Power Rangers, but more for adults and because it's Samurai action, it's lots of sword fights and I love sword fights!
  5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Just orderd The Great Muppet Capper on Amazon! I'm going to try and watch something Muppety everday untill the the new movie comes out!
    gonzosgirl1987 likes this.
  6. Fersureitsjess

Fersureitsjess Active Member

Toy Story 3 because it was fantastic!:coy:
  7. Alpha & Omega - Really a mediocre film at best, but it has my favorite anime VA Brian Donovan in a small role. I don't think he's very well known and doesn't seem to get much work so I try support him in any role he lands, even if it's on a less than stellar project. Hey, if I can tolerate the English dub of Digimon Adventure 02 for his part as Davis, I could watch almost anything with him in it.

A Goofy Movie - Now this is a great movie! I haven't seen in a few years and thought it was too old to be in stores. At only $5, I had to grab it.

Night at the Roxbury - One of many movies I have on VHS that I'm upgrading to DVD since I don't own a VCR anymore.

I also looked for The Land Before Time, but they only had the yucky sequels.
  8. ZeppoAndFriends

The Great Muppet Capper? I've never heard of that one. Are you sure you aren't being ripped off? :coy:

Sorry, spelling stickler.

Don't know how I forgot this one, but:

Muppets From Space - Mostly just for the commentary (Tim Hill is a boring commentator, but Gonzo and Rizzo were hilarious as always).
  9. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

Found and snagged a mint copy of TMS season 1 at the bookstore I used to work at...and got a discount, even. Sweet! :) The discs are so pristine they're crispy!

Of course, one of my friends there berated me for not holding out for the fuzzy-jacket one... hah.
  10. ZeppoAndFriends

I don't really get what so special about the fuzzy-jackets. It's just flocking covering a rather nice close-up picture (and that mac-n-cheese orange on Fozzie's was hideous).

Bambi - Because I'm expanding my Disney collection.

Scooby-Doo: Curse of the Lake Monster - Because I liked The Mystery Begins and missed it on TV.
  11. The Cosby Show: The Complete 7th/8th Seasons - Because I LOVE THIS SHOW! And it completes my set. All I need now is to find the episodes of A Different World that had the Huxtables.
  12. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The ONION Movie"...for sheer outrageous satire. Yes, it's by the folks who do the "news" site! Imagine if someone updated "Kentucky Fried Movie" for the 2000s...and there you have it. Ethnic stereotypes, sexy pop singers, corporate takeovers of media, and action movies all blown up larger than life. Fantastic!

Also, don't have my own copy of yet, but last night watched a library copy of "Network." I hadn't realized the old "I'm mad as h--- and I'm not going to take it anymore!" was from this. AMAZING film, and completely relevant despite its mid-'70s release date. I must own this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  13. ZeppoAndFriends

Doctor Who: The Complete Fourth Series - Because it was, so I did.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Hey There, It's Yogi Bear- because I wanted to see them DO IT RIGHT!
  15. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Angeltales- Just a random run of the mill anime, I figured I'd check out at the low price of only ten bucks. It came with these little plushie toys too, so I thought it was well worth it.

King of the Hill: Season 2- Because it's a good enough show to spend another ten bucks on...
  16. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

the Jimmy Neutron movie because it was 25 cents XD
    gonzosgirl1987 likes this.
  17. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Picked up....

Rocko's Modern Life season 1- Finally happy Nick is giving their older "Nicktoons" a real release. Looking forward to picking up Angry Beavers and Ahhh! Real Monsters. Though a bit bummed there is no special features.

Best of Sesame Street Spoofs- Kind of a fun set but honestly, after a while didn't do much for me. Though it was great to see so much Guy Smiley. Still liked it overall, of course.

Fritz the Cat-That well known "X-rated" animation from that "rebel animator" Ralph Bakshi. Honestly never seen it before, but it was cheap, and I just had to check it out after hearing so much about it though the years. Truthfully in the end, it's not a very good movie. :skeptical:. Though I'm still kind of glad I picked it up to judge for myself.
  18. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Best of Sesame Street Spoofs: Becuase...DUH!

C is for Cookie Monster: Becuase it was Buy-2-Get-One-Free on B&N.com, so I figured I'd get this because I knew I'd like it (and I did!)

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: Because I lost my other copy
  19. ZeppoAndFriends

A Goofy Movie - Because my VHS copy is gettin' on in years and it came bundled with a tin of junk and a really nice pen!

Supergirl - Because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment.

Return to Oz - I've been looking for it and found it at our local Borders' going out of business sale (shame, it's the only bookstore around here).
  20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Why do you think R. Crumb was so ticked off? In fact, Crumb SUED to keep his name off the picture... he was very angry at the animator (Ralph) and yet he thought Ralph should've voiced Fritz. And Ralph DIDN'T like Crumb either after the fiasco.

I really think Ralph is an underrated animator, though.. even though a lot of his movies just get smack talked about them. Shame he doesn't do more.

Anyway, last DVD I bought:

Fairy Idol: It was 4 bucks, It's one of the few FOP DVDs I didn't have yet... and I liked those pinheaded Timmy cartoons they made for Oh Yeah cartoons. I mean, literally... his head is thin and strange looking in those shorts compared to the cartoon.