"What you think about Disney" Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Buying Pixar is basically the only good thing that Igor had done. I don't like him at all. he's as bad as Eisner, but he seems completely inept. Come on. Who else remembers the late 80's early 90's greatness before Eisner turned? We had all these great cartoon shows produced by Disney... shows like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Gummi Bears... all that good stuff. Now it's like their TV animation department consists of Phineas and Ferb and that's it.

Above all Disney himself was an animator... his company was founded on animation... live action stuff was branched out to sometime in the 60's... but it didn't over take everything. Not like their 2 lousy shows and made for TV movie.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I love Disney...always have, always will. That being said:
As much of a ruthless business man as Eisner is, he was the guy who spearheaded the campaign in the mid 80's to reinvent the company, add 2 more theme parks in Florida, another in California, etc.( He also decided that more hotels were neede on property)
Eisner also got the animation revolution started again with Little Mermaid by employing the best of the best to make that film happen. I admit his pursuit of The Muppets was purely financial and that he NEVER should have even considered going for the Sesame Street characters, but thank Henson (bad pun, I know) he didn't succeed. Look, Disney overall was struggling in the early 80's...no one knew what to make of EPCOT, the movies were lackluster (Anyone remember Black Cauldron?) and there was no one on staf with the vision of Walt Disney. I am not saying Michael Eisner was the second coming of Walt, but he was pretty close in the sense that he was a visionary.
So to anyone who says Disney only cares about cash, think about this...no matter who you are, you can't run your company on love. Money is key and Disney still has appeal.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As much of a ruthless business man as Eisner is, he was the guy who spearheaded the campaign in the mid 80's to reinvent the company...I am not saying Michael Eisner was the second coming of Walt, but he was pretty close in the sense that he was a visionary.
I agree; it's a cut throat business and doesn't always bring out the best, but you can't deny Eisner's contributions. Sometimes the quest for cash ends up being beneficial to audiences (a long as the talent is also good)! :wink:

Kiki

Reaction score
Hmm, what I think of Disney... well, I'm not sure what they're up to at the moment business-wise, but I LOVE Disney movies and the like. :flirt: I grew up with it, for me it's/it was up there with the Muppets, mostly the classics. I just wish they didn't get rid of the Disney Store! :cry: ;_;

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
has anyone had the joy of experienceing Disney XD?

If you had toon disney, then you automatically got Disney XD when it started, and with that, bye bye toon disney. Personally, while I'm glad that there is a bit of varience in the programming, and that its not really a clone of the normal disney channel as toon disney had started becoming, I dont know if its an improvement or not. They brought back old shows, and have some new XD exclusives. They seem to be putting all new episodes of P&F on there.

Overall I dont find myself watching it alot. But if I could I would be hugging whoever was in charge for bring Static Shock back!

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you had toon disney, then you automatically got Disney XD when it started, and with that, bye bye toon disney. Personally, while I'm glad that there is a bit of varience in the programming, and that its not really a clone of the normal disney channel as toon disney had started becoming, I dont know if its an improvement or not. They brought back old shows, and have some new XD exclusives. They seem to be putting all new episodes of P&F on there.
All I can say about XD... at least they made an attempt to keep the cartoons, since they turned the original network into a 12 year old bratty girl fest.... (they turned this into a bratty 10 year old boy fest... which is good, since 10 year old boys get the best shows).

Yeah, Eisner may not have been Mr. Good Guy, and during his later years he gave us some crap... but at least he wasn't an incompetent tool like Iger.... Only reason why he's not going anywhere is the stockholders are drunk off of the money that HSM and HM initially got them. I saw the Goofy Short "How to hook up your Home Theater System" and almost died of shock. They CAN do stuff just as great as they used to. They can... they just choose not to. Look at it this way... a preschool show following the same obnoxious Dora Model is the only way you get to see Mickey, Goofy, and Donald in the mainstream. And that's sad.

What the company needs is another House of Mouse/Mouseworks like project... and it also needs a big action comedy cartoon that isn't TV EI. They need a new Ducktales to put them back on the TV animation front. And somehow, I don't think they have it in them.....

They shoulda put Pixar in charge of the TV animation studios too.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
has anyone had the joy of experienceing Disney XD?
Is that an actually channel or is that just online?

I saw the Goofy Short "How to hook up your Home Theater System" and almost died of shock. They CAN do stuff just as great as they used to. They can... they just choose not to.
Yeah! I felt the same way. The industry is just so different now days...

vaati64

Reaction score
Is that an actually channel or is that just online?

It's both now. Toon Disney turned into Disney XD, aswell as the online "exerience" or whatever you'd call it. I think ts going to be inyteresting to see what this whole "23" thing is about

Drtooth

Reaction score
The show on XD I'm pulling for is Spectacular Spider-Man. That has to be the finest Spidey cartoon I've ever seen. And no thanks to Warner Bros slashing off it's Saturday morning programming at the demand of CBS, the show is all but canceled after the upcoming season 2 (I hate the CW. You only have one good show, and you don't even treat it like it's on your network). I can only hope XD does the show justice, because if all goes well, there might just be a third season. Might.

Seriously... if there's one company I'm more furious with than Disney it's Warners.

Yeah! I felt the same way. The industry is just so different now days..
The sad thing is, I almost can't blame them for that. You see, old school cartoon shorts haven't worked since the old days. And that's because, due to multiple reels, you could show ANY cartoon before ANY movie. Now, since everything has to be one one compact reel, a fixed cartoon gets affixed to a fixed movie. And half the time, it's a movie you wouldn't want to see. The only way theatrical short cartoons can truely break out is if Digital projection allows for mixing and matching cartoons with movies. I doubt it completely.

Xerus

Reaction score
I've seen some of Disney XD and the only show I seem to watch from it is that new Canadian cartoon, Jimmy Two Shoes.

I think Disney XD should use this opportunity to air more Canadian shows on their network.