World of Warcraft causes a divorce

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just read this article where a woman divorced her husband for playing World of Warcraft non stop. He was neglecting his real life and relationship with his wife. I've never tried playing World of Warcraft before and I don't think I want to.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/wedding-woes-the-dark-side-of-warcraft/1186366
Heh. I thought that stuff was for people who aren't married, and would never get married.

I think that game is stupid

I much prefer older games (From the 80s,etc)
Heh. I haven't liked a video game since the Super Nintendo went obsolete. Well, that's an exaggeration, sure. But the 3-D stuff I can never get into. Except Ultimae Muscle Wrestling for Game Cube and PS2. Wish I got both systems to play both versions.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Heh. I thought that stuff was for people who aren't married, and would never get married.
That is an awful out of date stereotype of people that play video games:sympathy: . It is just not true :stick_out_tongue: . Many types of people play them :smile: ...

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's pretty much a joke on my part. And without this turning into a rant about video games and cult culture becoming mainstream (14 year old boys wearing He-man shirts and not knowing who he is? Blasphemy!), I never liked what happened to videogames between the Playstation 1 and now.

That said, his wife musta been an ugly shrew to want to play around with videogames instead of...well.... but that's my own opinion. If I found someone crazy enough to like me, I'd toss my M.U.S.C.L.E.S. out the window. But that's just me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I used to think having similar interests (TV shows, video games etc) meant you would have a successful relationship with someone. But thankfully, I've learned that that isn't enough. What's really going to keep a relationship together is respect, trust, and willingness to listen and work together, regardless of separate interests.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's true the Video games used to be exclusively "nerd" thing so to speak. But it is true that many types of people do play video games. I know when my cousins who happened to be girls when they were little used to play them all the time and were a lot better at them then I was. They still do like them and are very interested in them. In fact, it was said that at one point that more girls were playing hand held video games then girls were. And games like Pokemon have been hugely popular among female audiences.

I think both are correct. Part of being in a successful relationship is havening things in common, but it's not always everything, though. But it's also important to respect and listen to your significant other to make a relationship work despite their being some things that you might not have in common, as well.:smile:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well yes, but common interests can help.
On a deepr level though, as I believe it was Redsonga? said, you and your partner have to be at the same level. Sort of on the same wavelength so to speak, in order to understand each other.
As for the wider issue, it seems to be easier to blame outside things like vidio games for peoples' troubles, than to take a good and honest look at the inside of a person or situation, and fix the problems at their source.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well yes, but common interests can help.
Oh yes certainly, it can be great if you enjoy doing the same activities in your spare time and everything. I'm just speaking from personal experience that it is just not always enough to keep it going. Plus you can also discover new things from your partner that you wouldn't have cared about otherwise.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
-Settles next to Redsonga-
Got you a soda.
:stick_out_tongue:

Wow, what a waste of a life.
Playing a game to a point where you ignore your lover.
Sad, sad, sad!

:stick_out_tongue:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I used to think having similar interests (TV shows, video games etc) meant you would have a successful relationship with someone. But thankfully, I've learned that that isn't enough. What's really going to keep a relationship together is respect, trust, and willingness to listen and work together, regardless of separate interests.
That's true, but still it does'nt hurt if they are basicly your best friend and are geeky about the same things :smile:. As for being a good listener and being trustworthy most of the time I've found that has a lot to do with the basic character of a person even before they are dating. I think some people are just not meant to be with another person or be parents by nature, since they may be too self centered ... Video game habits are not a sure sign of this IMHO.
But you know, if I was that wife I would have started playing with him on his realm and really make myself known :big_grin:. If I really loved him I would not just stand on the sidelines and do nothing, I would put out the extra effort. But then, I am stuborn like that :mad:
Something about that reads as if she was looking to get rid of him anyway... No wonder divorce is so common :stick_out_tongue:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
BeakerSqueedom said:
Wow, what a waste of a life.
Playing a game to a point where you ignore your lover.
Sad, sad, sad!
Well not to get too personal since I don't know those people, but he may have just been using the game to escape from a larger problem. Maybe the relationship wasn't working, or maybe he was just really stressed out in general from life.