Your Favorite Series 5 Figure is...

What is your favorite action figure from series 5?

• Gonzo in Purple Tux and Camilla

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Janice

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Muppet Newsman

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Pepe

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Janice Repaint

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HerryGrail

Reaction score
Saw these in two places and wanted to get the Newsman, Janice (to complete that set), and Pepe (for a friend). Unfortunately the splattered paint has kept me looking. How, for instance, does the Newsman's face get so many drops of hair paint on it, even the chin?

Anyone notice how much the Gonzo looks like a bigger version of the old Fisher Price figure with a rod you attach to his back to make him "walk"? Just an observation, certainly not a criticism.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Palisades' Gonzo looks absolutely nothing like the FP figure. There's actually a humorous thread comparing those figures to Palisades. Those old stick puppets were cute way back when, but are incredibly crude when compared to Palisades' figures. I've got the old figure on my desk right now. :concern:

Meepster12

Reaction score
I voted Gonzo. He look really cool. Anyone seen these in any stores in Houston, TX?:confused:

:rolleyes: :flirt: :concern: (No newsguy smiley...:cry: )

HerryGrail

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
Palisades' Gonzo looks absolutely nothing like the FP figure. There's actually a humorous thread comparing those figures to Palisades. Those old stick puppets were cute way back when, but are incredibly crude when compared to Palisades' figures. I've got the old figure on my desk right now. :concern:
Like I said...no offense. I didn't mean the new one was crude. I should have said it looked like a bigger, more elaborate version of the old figure. It just kind of startled me and took me back about 25 years when I saw it. Something about that purple tuxedo and the packaged pose. Those stick puppets were very special when they came out.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
had to go for Gonzo, even though it'll be a miracle if I get any of them, Gonzo looks pretty darn cool!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
HerryGrail said:
Like I said...no offense. I didn't mean the new one was crude. I should have said it looked like a bigger, more elaborate version of the old figure. It just kind of startled me and took me back about 25 years when I saw it. Something about that purple tuxedo and the packaged pose. Those stick puppets were very special when they came out.
Here is the photo Crock Alley posted on Palisades' board http://www.boomspeed.com/crockalley/GOnzo.jpg No offense taken of course. They just don't remotely resemble each other. I have fond memories of the clunky little figures as a kid, but they aren't quality products in the least. Maybe they were 25 years ago. They are both wearing a tux. That's the only similarity I can see, but even the suits aren't very much alike. If you look closely, their Gonzo is wearing a women's jacket with the buttons on the wrong side. For more comparisons, visit the thread: http://www.palisadestoys.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5229 :concern:

HerryGrail

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
They just don't remotely resemble each other. I have fond memories of the clunky little figures as a kid, but they aren't quality products in the least. Maybe they were 25 years ago. They are both wearing a tux. That's the only similarity I can see, but even the suits aren't very much alike.
OK...I fault my foggy memory and rose-colored view of the past. That head doesn't look like the one I remember...the one in the photo is much cruder and hand-painted-looking. I envisioned a nice clean Fisher Price paint job.

It was just the pose, I guess...I don't remember any purple-suited, articulated, straight-ahead-facing Gonzos in between, so the new one recalled the old one to me. I really, really admire and appreciate the Palisades figures. I think Lew Zealand is the best figure released by anyone this year.

Sloely

Reaction score
My fave is Gonzo overall, but they are all amazing! THis might be my fave series so far. Didnt care to get Pepe, tho his accessories sound incredible. Got Janice repaint before I realized she was a repaint, and she looks awesome. I felt the same as Mike Crawford that her accesories werent great, but then i looked at the tambourine! And in her right hand she can slap it on her hip perfectly by swinging her bicep joint. Exquisite! Newsman is really great. His paint ap rules, and his glasses and expression are spot on! Really dont dig the stickers tho. I wish they had been photos from the show, instead of cheap photoshops of the figures. (Which begs the question of Are the character Photos gonna be on the packaging again? I really want the photo on there!) But Gonzo just rules. I have been steadily growing more and more amazed at Palisades genius use of softer plastics thruout the series. Scooter, Dr. Strangepork, Chef and Lews' hair is thrilling! But it is just ingenious on Gonzo's hairs!!! Also the points where his soft jacket meets his hard shirt are flawless and just bring the figure that much more to life, (Newsman too.) And Gonzo's expression is wicked great, and I like the paint ap on his nose. It's not perfect, but definitely in the right direction. :concern: