Your Thoughts: Kermit and the Muppets on Jimmy Kimmel Live

jediX

Reaction score
Oh, Dr Tooth, I'll be recording it all week (in SP) so contact me if you want to arrange a trade.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I liked him best on "Win Ben Stein's Money."
Me to. I think his crude attitude works best when there's someone like Ben to be the straitman.

What was so bad about S&W last night?

toyzboy

Reaction score
On Tuesday's show, early on Jimmy made a snide remark to Kermit in the guest chair (paraphrasing here), "this is just so strange" [talking to a 'puppet']. And whoever was working Kermit makes Kermit look down, and says, "Heh, YOU feel silly?" [I interpreted it as refering to the grown man laying on the floor WORKING the 'puppet'. Or maybe Kermit with a person laying under him.]

Anyway, I thought it was pretty rude for Jimmy to say 1) on air, and 2) to Kermit (really, the puppeteer). But it did show Kermit can think on his feet, has a sense of humor, and is humble.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Maybe Kermit felt weird talking to Jimmy? OR, maybe Steve used Kermit to express his embarassment for being seen while performing Kermit there?? I doubt it, since he's been seen performing before--especially at MuppetFest The Muppet Show Live!

Who knows, but I think Kermit felt odd talking with Jimmy.

jediX

Reaction score
What was so bad about S&W last night?
Well, the original S&W never would have used the word 'retarded'. That word just offends me for family reasons which I do not wish to get into.

Ryan

Reaction score
NikZane:
Do you know who was working Kermit's right arm rod? If you don't know her/his name, can you describe what they looked like?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I didn't catch the "retarded" reference. We are all guilty of using such terms at one time or another, but that was a poor decision. I'm guessing it was Bill. He's more on the fringe than Dave. Maybe I'm so used to hearing the terminology that it just escaped my attention. :boo:

Kermit's statment wasn't that shocking. Little kids would not have picked up on it and they shouldn't be up anyway. It's nice to see Kermit stop pandering to kids. That Muppets on Wheels video a few years ago offended me to no end. Tapes like that is what Elmo is for.

Jimmy's really more of a hack. I'm not a big fan of any of the Man Show guys. It's humor to the lowest common denominator. Anyone can be crude, but that doesn't make it funny or clever. It appears he needs all the distractions and guest hosts to pick up the slack. He seems like a behind the scenes guy instead of a host.

Drtooth

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
I didn't catch the "retarded" reference. We are all guilty of using such terms at one time or another, but that was a poor decision. I'm guessing it was Bill. He's more on the fringe than Dave. Maybe I'm so used to hearing the terminology that it just escaped my attention. :boo:

Kermit's statment wasn't that shocking. Little kids would not have picked up on it and they shouldn't be up anyway. It's nice to see Kermit stop pandering to kids. That Muppets on Wheels video a few years ago offended me to no end. Tapes like that is what Elmo is for.
Personally, I have heard lots of unsophisticated old people use the word "Retarded" over and over, so much it's lost all meaning. Maybe that's what Dave and Bill or whoever was getting at.

The only thing offending me was stating Kermit was a puppet to his (Steve's) face.

And Yes. Jimmy is a hack. Throw the bum out! Just let Kermit host forever!
:excited: (Never really get to use her emoticom so much!)

NikZane

Reaction score
toyzboy said:
On Tuesday's show, early on Jimmy made a snide remark to Kermit in the guest chair (paraphrasing here), "this is just so strange" [talking to a 'puppet'].
Fozzie Bear said:
Maybe Kermit felt weird talking to Jimmy? OR, maybe Steve used Kermit to express his embarassment for being seen while performing Kermit there?? I doubt it, since he's been seen performing before--especially at MuppetFest The Muppet Show Live!

Who knows, but I think Kermit felt odd talking with Jimmy.
I understand where toyzboy is coming from, I also picked up on the snide remark. Jimmy clearly made out that he felt like an idiot talk to a "puppet", which is fair enough, but he shouldn't have expressed it out loud. It seemed to make Kermit/Steve feel uncomfortable as it sounded like a subtle insult.

It's ironic too, I mean Kimmel has his *own* "puppet" show, Crank Yankers, and should be used to working with them.

It is a shame as on the first night I thought Jimmy conveyed a certain sense of honor for having Kermit on his show by the acknowledgement, "Kermit THE Frog is here people, in the felt!", which he said more than once. By mumbling "this is so strange" on the second night, it showed his lack of respect for both Kermit and Steve Whitmire. Oh well, he's a talkshow host after all and being an a**hole is his job.

Off on a semi-tangent, I had a similar experience of offence outside the El Capitan whilst waiting to go inside the studio. There was a guy behind us who had really only just walked by and joined the line for the heck of it. He had no idea who the guests were and when he enquired as to who the co-host was for the week, he was informed that it was Kermit. "What?? Kermit the Frog? You're kidding right, man I feel ripped off! I want it to be someone cool!", was his reply. Someone cool?? Dude, who is cooler than Kermit the Frog?? At first I wanted to tell him to go home, but then quickly realized that I should feel pity for him, that his lack of imagination has obviously prevented him from enjoying Muppet magic, like the rest of us dreamers. He was 21 and I wondered if perhaps he was too young to appreciate the Muppets (is that an oxymoronic statement?), then I realized that my girlfriend is only 22 and she adores them as much as I do.

Different strokes I guess...

NikZane

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
And Yes. Jimmy is a hack. Throw the bum out! Just let Kermit host forever!
:excited: (Never really get to use her emoticom so much!)
Here here! I can just imagine it...

"Live from Hollywood... it's the Late Show with Kermit the Frog! Tonight's guests are..."