Are there any others with disabilities here?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Wow... after reading that... I think I have autism!
Well, some doctors (and writers at Wiki) are a bit disablity happy when it comes to if you really have one or not. A lot of things could just be other troubles rather than true autism..But like CP there are very very mild cases that never get noticed as much.
Even if you were to really have it it may not be to a level that it effects your everyday life.
Most of the time, even though my CP is mild to med., alot of people can't tell I have anything wrong with me :excited:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Downs-Syndrome tends to run in my family, but something really precious happened the other day at my grandmother's funeral mass. A second cousin of mine - Nora - who has Downs (she's in her late 40's/early 50's) was talking with my uncle, whose 7 year old daughter also has Downs. Nora saw her and got rather excited, and asked "Is she an angel too?" My uncle only laughed, but it was the sweetest thing. Because Nora is right. People like her are angels in disguise, sent from God as gifts that will teach us a whole heckuva lot about love, patience, and dealing with adversity.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing everyone. And even if someone doesn't have a disability per se, everyone has issues and baggage to deal with.

Me, I don't have any disabilities or syndromes or disorders that I know of or ever been diagnosed with. But I do tend to be compulsive and obsessive. And have fear and anxiety. And a perpetual inferiority complex (I really do think that every single person is smarter than me. And since in life we inevitably will keep doing something stupid and get negative, unkind words and feedback from others, I can't ever get out of that inferiority feeling. The continual new incidences reinforce the lifelong feeling. As well as still being single at 40 with only one long term relationship in my life).

And then there's the lifelong battle with overeating. Maybe I am borderline "disorder" on any one of these things. Or maybe just have "struggles" in these areas.

In any case, we are all imperfect people in an imperfect world with a lot of problems to deal with. But also a lot of blessings and things to be thankful for and enjoy. And when people show acceptance and kindness it goes a long way in dealing with those who are difficult and unpleasant to deal with. (The hard part is when people are nice to some people but show me rejection, disapproval, etc. If a person is mean to everyone then it's easier not to take it personal. But when it's just to me, then that reinforces the thinking of, "See. There's something about me that is naturally unlikable. Everyone else is better and smarter").

I better go stuff myself with "comfort" foods like Krispy Kreme Donuts!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Downs-Syndrome tends to run in my family, but something really precious happened the other day at my grandmother's funeral mass. A second cousin of mine - Nora - who has Downs (she's in her late 40's/early 50's) was talking with my uncle, whose 7 year old daughter also has Downs. Nora saw her and got rather excited, and asked "Is she an angel too?" My uncle only laughed, but it was the sweetest thing. Because Nora is right. People like her are angels in disguise, sent from God as gifts that will teach us a whole heckuva lot about love, patience, and dealing with adversity.
Alex, that's beautiful.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
:smile:

I have no disability.
But I can appreciate the pressure some deal with--who do have that.

It's more of a gift than a burden--not that it ever was to me.
Autistic/physically impaired people actually teach the ones who are namely "normal" (rolls eyes) something very special.

My brother is the only person in the world who keeps me alive.
One point, I was in a situation in which I will not be specify, and my brother stopped me from doing that action.

He just took my hand and said "Claudia, I love you, sister. Why you doing that?"

He's saved me from the worst situations ever.

I remember a time when I was beaten up by a group of people in the school. I came home crippled. He just looked at me and said "They did it again, sister Claudia?" And he just gave me a hug.

If I am really sad...
I turn to my brother.
I lay on his stomach and cry.
He's the only one who never says

"Grow up, Claudia!"
"Stop being such a victim, what are you, 6?"

He sees me as something special.
We are like twins...
We really can never be apart...
and if we are...
We get REALLY sick.

So, point is.
These amazing people teach you how to humble, loving, understanding, and make you twice as stronger than any other man/woman.

Aaron

Reaction score
I have CP as well. I use a wheelchair 90% of the time or crutches for short distances. I'd love to make one of those "i never let it get in my way" sort of statements but that would be a lie.

Redsonga

Reaction score
"Grow up, Claudia!"
"Stop being such a victim, what are you, 6?"
It is okay if that works for you, but that sort of 'kick you to make you stand up' message would have made me feel worst, not better. FOr me, what always has worked is letting myself feel sad when I truly am. A disablity is not something that I fight against, it is not something that I hide or never cry about because it would make me seem weak. It just is. It is a part of me, like my eye and hair color, and there are just somethings I can't do period. That does not mean that I am weak, it is just a part of me. And if someone thinks I am weak for crying and showing emotion and going for help from other people over the many things that upset me when people make fun of me so be it, because they are not the type of people I would be friends with. It is just not me to have a hard outer covering over my emotions..
Like whoever came up with the PC term 'differently inabled'. We are not superhero mutants, we can't fly, there really are things we can't do, and that lack is as much a part of us as what we can do :smile:. Love your whole self, not just what the world wants to see :smile:.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I think what Squeek meant was that her brother doesn't say those things, like everyone else does, and that's part of what makes him special to her.