Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsonga

Reaction score
The traditional format of muppet movies in the past would not bode well with audiences of today. Not to scare you. Muppets Wizard of Oz looked great on paper. Any oz/muppet fans would have been hooked. But, as they found out it takes more than drawing the traditional crowds.
It wasn't the traditional format that made MWOO not work to me, it was the fact that the story felt rushed, halfbaked and badly written (just to me, as a writer). As a muppet fan even I did not like it for this reason:embarrassed: . I wanted to, I really did...
On the other hand I loved Muppets in Space for some un-goshly reason. I have no idea why...

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Jason Segel is an AMAZINGLY talented actor, and from what I can see "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is gonna be really great. This is incredibly exciting to me.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Muppets Wiz of Oz was crap we all know that - but, do you realize how many years ago that was? I mean, Ashanti has fallen into obscurity and Disney has gone on to produce some of the most amazing works. Can I safely say that Ratatouille should have been in the best film category for the Oscars.

Disney is on the rise.... Trust & believe!

Redsonga

Reaction score
Muppets Wiz of Oz was crap we all know that - but, do you realize how many years ago that was? I mean, Ashanti has fallen into obscurity and Disney has gone on to produce some of the most amazing works. Can I safely say that Ratatouille should have been in the best film category for the Oscars.

Disney is on the rise.... Trust & believe!
Don't worry, I trust in Disney itself :smile:. I mean I grew up loving The Muppets at Walt Disney World, and they must have had a big hand in the making of that :big_grin:. (Good golly Disney, please put that on DVD...please? Pleeeese?:cry: )

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I am VERY excited by this news--I really like the Apatow projects that Segel has been involved with, and I'm encouraged that Stoller was involved with Undeclared as well. I think this is exactly what the Muppets need--an infusion of current cutting edge comedic talent, presumably talent that loves the Muppets.

I also think that since both of these people have been involved with highly improvisatory comedy, it can only bode well for the Muppets. Anything that encourages the Muppeteers to let loose and improvise will at least give us great outtakes, and at best give us the kind of crackling in-character wit and energy that the Muppets should have.

:smile:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Like most of you, I'm full of hope and anxiety, but unlike some of you, I'm not full of sarcasm and snottiness. (You know who you are.) I think we need to stop kicking a gift horse in the mouth. I had a few of points that seemed pertinent:

1. Brian Henson has his own gig now--full of humping dog puppets and bathroom humor. That's what he wants to do with his legacy and he ought to be left to it. If he were the one who was going to bring the Muppets back in all their glory, he'd have done it by now. I think we should wish him well and MOVE ON.

2. It takes a rare actor who can write, direct AND act. (Yes, yes--I know they all think they can do all of that, but you know and we see that it's not true.) To expect our beloved muppeteers to have the same level of skill in all areas is probably not realistic or fair. Someone who is interested in the muppets--interested enough to pitch something TO Disney--AND who has a history with the muppet organization professionally wants to write a script. He's written scripts in the past. Your cup of tea or not, they have sold. I'm going to try to clamp down on my anxiety and be excited and hopeful.

3. Speculation that Disney will dump the old characters and replace them with all new ones doesn't seem to be a well-thought-out criticism. The new Disney XD site is not overrun with unfamiliar muppets--and I was frankly shocked by the familiar feel of some of the skits. The goofiness, the camaradie, the poignancy--all were things I RECOGNIZED. If they're just leading us on, they haven't given us cause to suspect them of it YET. Let's not be pre-emptive in our break-up.

4. I think it behooves us to remember that Disney will be watching us--the ones who ALREADY love the muppets. If we rant and rail and kick and scream we may prove to be more trouble than we are worth, and we as a fan base might get left in the dust while the PTB at Disney search for a BRAND NEW audience. I'm not saying turn your brains off--I might be saying to turn your hostility off until they've actually fired the first shot.

Folks--this is good news. I know you're nervous--I'm scared to death. But this is, literally, life and death for some people that are dear to all of us. I WANT to see Kermit up on the screen again--and not just pushing a shopping cart. I can't wait to see Ms. Piggy larger than life. (Watch it!) If Gonzo's going to tap dance in tapioca, I want it to be on a screen large enough to see his feet! Let's not lose our hope--let's take a page from Kermit's book and all pull together.

beaker

Reaction score
I don't understand why some people want to doom this movie before it even starts. Have a little hope, a little faith. Yes, we've been through MANY disapointments, especially in the past few years, but why are we so convinced that it will remain this way? If WE'RE the big Muppet fans, shouldn't we be supportive and in their corner? We shouldn't turn against them when something different comes their way.

The new website shows that Disney is taking a good amount of initiative in the Muppets--otherwise why go through all the trouble of transforming their site?
I agree on both fronts!

I remember in 1999/2000/2001/2002 people thinking I was weird for pushing the idea of "out there" directors possibly what the Muppets needed, like Spike Jonze, or a number of indie directors.

For almost a decade on muppet central myself and many others have long been dreaming for the glorious return of the Muppets...it didnt quite come in 1999, or 2002...I believe in the next few years we could finally get that.

Muppets.com for instance, is endlessly wonderful content...and yeah, it does show Disney may *finally* be getting on the ball

With the HA! Brand, Fraggle Rock renewal, etc there is much on the horizon to celebrate.

beaker

Reaction score
The traditional format of muppet movies in the past would not bode well with audiences of today. Not to scare you. Muppets Wizard of Oz looked great on paper. Any oz/muppet fans would have been hooked. But, as they found out it takes more than drawing the traditional crowds.

In Hollywood it's about being current and it looks like they've snagged something - an idea! I have faith in the team Segal and Stoller as they are very funny, current and obviously muppet fans.

Segal is brilliant - his comedy works with the current theater going audience.

We'll see how this all plays out but, if you will notice in my post in Fantasy Worlds/Where The Wild Things Are - I was pleasantly surprised that Hollywood is on the up and up concerning this up and coming masterpiece.

Don't lose faith in Hollywood - a lot of crapola - no doubt. But, a lot of great stuff too. The muppets are safe with Disney - they won't kill the franchise.
Ya kidding? MWOZ sounded like a horrific idea to myself and many Muppet fans from the get go. Many of us knew it'd blow, and it exceded our expectations of crummyness.

Very Muppet Movie I felt was pretty darn good, almost close to an actual Muppet film in some ways.

But I think your right with Stoller/Segal. I wish they could make it a PG film, instead of G. They may just be the team to really make people realize the Muppets arent some nostalgic trip, but hip and relevent for today.

lol it's funny how split up we all are on our ideas of a good muppet movie.
The Muppets doing old books does not a good movie make for me.
And for me Treasure Island is in my least fave movies right up there with Muppets Oz.
I agree, I absolutely loathe Christmas Carol/Treasure Island/Muppet Oz. There should never again be the Muppets having to star in some classic retelling

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Amens sista! I'm all with you on this one. Too many folks grabbing the old brass ring that has since rusted and fallen apart...

Like most of you, I'm full of hope and anxiety, but unlike some of you, I'm not full of sarcasm and snottiness. (You know who you are.) I think we need to stop kicking a gift horse in the mouth. I had a few of points that seemed pertinent:

1. Brian Henson has his own gig now--full of humping dog puppets and bathroom humor. That's what he wants to do with his legacy and he ought to be left to it. If he were the one who was going to bring the Muppets back in all their glory, he'd have done it by now. I think we should wish him well and MOVE ON.

2. It takes a rare actor who can write, direct AND act. (Yes, yes--I know they all think they can do all of that, but you know and we see that it's not true.) To expect our beloved muppeteers to have the same level of skill in all areas is probably not realistic or fair. Someone who is interested in the muppets--interested enough to pitch something TO Disney--AND who has a history with the muppet organization professionally wants to write a script. He's written scripts in the past. Your cup of tea or not, they have sold. I'm going to try to clamp down on my anxiety and be excited and hopeful.

3. Speculation that Disney will dump the old characters and replace them with all new ones doesn't seem to be a well-thought-out criticism. The new Disney XD site is not overrun with unfamiliar muppets--and I was frankly shocked by the familiar feel of some of the skits. The goofiness, the camaradie, the poignancy--all were things I RECOGNIZED. If they're just leading us on, they haven't given us cause to suspect them of it YET. Let's not be pre-emptive in our break-up.

4. I think it behooves us to remember that Disney will be watching us--the ones who ALREADY love the muppets. If we rant and rail and kick and scream we may prove to be more trouble than we are worth, and we as a fan base might get left in the dust while the PTB at Disney search for a BRAND NEW audience. I'm not saying turn your brains off--I might be saying to turn your hostility off until they've actually fired the first shot.

Folks--this is good news. I know you're nervous--I'm scared to death. But this is, literally, life and death for some people that are dear to all of us. I WANT to see Kermit up on the screen again--and not just pushing a shopping cart. I can't wait to see Ms. Piggy larger than life. (Watch it!) If Gonzo's going to tap dance in tapioca, I want it to be on a screen large enough to see his feet! Let's not lose our hope--let's take a page from Kermit's book and all pull together.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I never said they would be replaced, I just meant I hope they are kept true to character :smile:. I've seen many older characters turned into things they are not to be 'hip'. I hope the soul of the new site stays in the movie...

Anyway, just because I am nervous doesn't mean I don't want to see a new film to...I'm not kicking and screaming, or looking anything in the mouth, just very nervous...I mean can't we state our worries here without being afraid Disney will look here and say 'no muppets for you'? :frown: I'm not one of those crazy fans that would start writing email rants to them or anything.
I like most of the new things on the site to :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.