Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hoodwinked was hilarious - don't worry... The Fraggles are in good hands.
It's not humor that concerns me either, entirely, though that is part of it. It's heart. I hope they are though. In good hands, that is.

:coy: :busy: :coy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's SO good to get some more news on this exciting project again! I don't know how I feel about the writer as I haven't seen Doogal or Hoodwinked, but from what I've heard Hoodwinked was pretty funny.

I just hope this guy knows the characters and true spirit of Fraggle Rock. Only time will tell if anyone other than Jerry or Susan Juhl or Jocelyn Stevenson can really bring the Fraggles to life. :smirk:

I'm VERY excited for this! Bring it on, Weinstein company! Show me whatcha got! :excited:
I actually liked Hoodwinked. Basically the company bought the technology to make an animated film and created this experiment. Some of it worked, some didn't. The animation resembles the current state video game art. The story is fun. There are some fun songs, cute moments and great characters voiced by notable actors. Many of the moments were focus grouped more than I would have liked, but it comes off better than mediocre with a few good bits. Doogal was an embarrassment. Hoodwinked is actually getting a sequel this year with nearly all of the many voice actors returning. Hopefully it will have better production values.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
It's not humor that concerns me either, entirely, though that is part of it. It's heart. I hope they are though. In good hands, that is.

:coy: :busy: :coy:
The good news is they are in the hands of a crew that gets things made. I understand your trepidations but, I assure you they will be doing their research and trying to appeal to not only the masses but the devoted fans... The fans are a big part of this movie being a success.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The good news is they are in the hands of a crew that gets things made. I understand your trepidations but, I assure you they will be doing their research and trying to appeal to not only the masses but the devoted fans... The fans are a big part of this movie being a success.
Indeed, but again, it could turn into another Underdog, only with instead of Wally Cox rolling in his grave, it would the Fraggle cast hanging their heads in shame for what Hollywood's modern style has done to their beloved franchise. :frown:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fraggle Movie Heart

:excited: I just don't think Karen Prell, Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire and the rest of the cast would perform in a Fraggle film without heart so I'm not worried. If it's on the page they can do it and the script approval process is probably responsible in part for the slow development. They're trying to get it right. :coy:

Pork

Reaction score
I actually didn't really very impressed with hoodwicked. But hey, that's just me.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
:excited: I just don't think Karen Prell, Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire and the rest of the cast would perform in a Fraggle film without heart so I'm not worried.
It's not the heart that I'm worried about. Without Jim (Henson), Richard (Hunt), and Jerry (Juhl)--and with Jerry (Nelson) pretty much retired--I am fearful that the execs involved may make the movie have no soul!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's not the heart that I'm worried about. Without Jim (Henson), Richard (Hunt), and Jerry (Juhl)--and with Jerry (Nelson) pretty much retired--I am fearful that the execs involved may make the movie have no soul!
The loss of Jerry Juhl is the only real concern I have. He will be the hardest one to replace. He really knew his Muppets and Fraggles. Jerry was the heart and soul of so much. That's what likely makes the story element in this tough. But there's enough of the original cast that gave the show its soul at work in this film. Their work should not be downplayed or diminished because of the loss of other key players. :busy:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Again, there is much that is being researched and re-evaluated. Occasionally these films come out being somewhat re-invisioned against the originals.

Art lends itself to being re-evaluated by the artist who comes after. Hard to explain - but every artist re-evaluates something that has been done before and then puts a spin on it for the present.

A great example would be Marcel Duchamp's (who I adore) version of Mona Lisa with a moustache.

He seems to imply that there is something we are missing from the original painting and it is healthy to explore the connitations. My only hope is that it falls in such a worthy artists hands and is developed as such.

wemblingalong

Reaction score
Stay True to Your Puppet

I think that as long as they stay true to the original series it should do alright! If it wasn't broken no need to fix it! I don't think we need to worry in terms of those artist who have left us, though it will never be the same, maybe whomever is taking up these new roles both behind the scenes and underneath the felt has something truly wonderful to add! We'll just have to wait and see! :coy: :excited: :smirk: