American Idol

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Good call, Erin. I would type a similar reply, but it's easier to just say "ditto."

:smile:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I hear that tonight is Elton John night!! Yay! Can't wait! I hope he's actually there as a judge too. I was disappointed when Billy Joel couldn't make it last year. Still, just hearing his songs all night will be cool.
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I hear that tonight is Elton John night!! Yay! Can't wait! I hope he's actually there as a judge too. I was disappointed when Billy Joel couldn't make it last year. Still, just hearing his songs all night will be cool.
Erin
Really? That's awesome! I'm extra excited now... I think Billy Joel couldn't make it because he was off giving concerts with Mr. John at the moment...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yes, that could be. It was nice at least to hear his input on the songs themselves via video. I sooooo wanted to see one of their concerts... They gave one in State College. I should've gone. Then again, it was in the middle of a school week and $150...
Erin

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I wonder if Jon Peter Lewis will do a reprise of "Tiny Dance-ah"? I would hope he would change it up if he does because his rendition of it last time stunk!

Paula said on Entertainment Tonight last week that it was supposed to be Big Band week this week........I wonder why they changed? I'm kind of glad though cause John Stevens would probably do great at big band and be around another week. Sorry Erin but like everyone else I'm wishing I could call up to vote who I want voted off because his number would be on redial :zany: :embarrassed:

ceecee

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Yes, that could be. It was nice at least to hear his input on the songs themselves via video. I sooooo wanted to see one of their concerts... They gave one in State College. I should've gone. Then again, it was in the middle of a school week and $150...
Erin
Yeah, they were in Minneapolis last year too. I would have loved to gone, but once I finally got through to Ticketmaster, only the $85 seats weren't sold out. And the whole school night issue...

Anyway, looking forward to tonight's performances!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Dr. Bombay said:
I wonder if Jon Peter Lewis will do a reprise of "Tiny Dance-ah"? I would hope he would change it up if he does because his rendition of it last time stunk!

Paula said on Entertainment Tonight last week that it was supposed to be Big Band week this week........I wonder why they changed? I'm kind of glad though cause John Stevens would probably do great at big band and be around another week. Sorry Erin but like everyone else I'm wishing I could call up to vote who I want voted off because his number would be on redial :zany: :embarrassed:
I didn't hear this was supposed to be Big Band Week. I was wondering if they would do one; I hope they still do. It was Kelly's performance on Big Band Night that made me see what a talented performer she is. She just blew me away. Having the live band and everything and doing a throwback to our grandparents' generation is pretty cool. Maybe they changed the night based on Elton's availability. ***hoping he shows up as a guest judge tonight*** I actually was thinking that John could be kinda suited for Elton; I thought his performance of "Always a Woman" was probably his best thus far in the competition, and a lot of their songs are similar. I'm still gunning for Camille to go this week, but this is a really unpredictable year for who's in the bottom 3. It could be Jennifer, too, since she's been in the bottom 2 twice now, but it seems like often the people who are in the bottom repeatedly wind up sticking around for quite a while, like Nikki and Carmen. I hope Jon Peter sings something else too. I wasn't too impressed with his rendition of "Tiny Dancer" - but then again I'm not that crazy about the song to begin with. I definitely am prejudiced by how much I like the song that is being sung.

I think this would be an incredibly different competiton if people voted to kick contestants off instead of to keep them in. I suspect Clay wouldn't have made it to the top two last year; as obsessed as his fans were, he had a lot of detractors. Maybe the Claymates would've tried to agree on one person each week to try to get voted off to counteract it... :stick_out_tongue: But I think it's better doing it this way. The person who is least disliked isn't necessarily the one who will sell the most albums. I still don't know if I like the whole two-hour voting thing, though. It seems like they might be better off if they limited the votes more. As it is, people spend half the time with busy signals, so how accurate is it really, especially later on in the competition? Once it got to the top 3 last year, I don't think the actual number of registered votes were necessarily an accurate measure. It was just too close to call with so many people unable to get through. I voted for Clay for two hours the last night and got through like 5 times. :grouchy:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
i think the judges seemed extra harsh tonight. Maybe it's just the fact that I love most of those songs so much, but I didn't think any of them were awful. Camille had some really rough moments in her song, but she had good moments too, I thought. I felt bad for her, getting so thoroughly lambasted when she's such a huge fan of Elton John. I thought it was hilarious that John sang the one song I guessed he wouldn't sing. I was thinking "Your Song" or some other song in that vein, but "Crocodile Rock" was just the opposite of John's style. However, I found it more funny than excruciating. It was comical; I was too busy laughing to pay much attention to how on (or off) pitch he was. :stick_out_tongue: I thought they were way too hard on Jasmine; she had a couple rough notes but on the whole I thought she did a really nice job. My least favorite performance actually was probably Diana; I'd actually never heard that song before, and I didn't like it or her performance. Didn't do it for me at all, and I usually really like her. I thought Latoya and Jennifer were phenomenal. Fantasia was good but she's just got too much attitude for my liking. George was good, but he sang probably my least favorite Elton John song ever, so I didn't enjoy it all that much. Anyway, I enjoyed the night overall just because I like Elton John so much. But I really miss last year's group...
Erin

jediX

Reaction score
Tonight made me appreciate William Hung's rendition of "She Bangs" that I downloaded last week. lol

Was it just me, or did it seem they were trying an awful lot to emulate Elton's voice? Especially in Jon's tune...