1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by goldenstate5, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

No... it wasn't a love hate thing... it was a love, slightly disappointed so it's the worst thing ever situation. I hate when people don't know the distinction between "disappointment" and "actually a terrible film."

The hype machine was there, but the audience just wasn't energized to see a movie in March that isn't the Hunger Games with a couple name and cosmetic changes. If it is indeed because Jason Segal and Amy Adams weren't on most of the movie that scared people away, they're as misguided as some of the idiotic reviews it got.

As a Muppet film, it's far better than the lack of attention it's getting is letting on. The Muppets was the movie we needed at the time, Muppets Most Wanted is the movie Muppet fans deserve. And it sucks that it's not getting a strong showing because people just aren't seeing it.

Duke Remington likes this.
  2. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. I went to see this movie last week, because I had nothing else to do. I can't believe I am disappointed by a lack of a full audience. Well, second time around is worth the charm. Mixed reviews do bother me, but that does not mean that I will stop seeing this move again. This movie was better than the first and my mind has not changed about it.

3. Drtooth

On the other hand, this has been a weak month for movies. March is usually strong enough (not enough for the big boys of May-early July) for films, and nothing's really doing all that well anyway. I only hope at least Peabody and Sherman is deemed successful enough that Dreamworks licenses out the Classic Media properties for merchandising and stuff.

Hopefully, the revised box office will at least bump this thing to 20 mil (I still fail to see how calling it Weekend Box Office when Sunday doesn't count), and this manages to perform decently enough to make back the budget so it can be considered enough to not chuck the franchise overboard for more "CGI upstart talking vehicles that learn the exact same lesson each time" films.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  4. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

Actuals are out... and it's actually good news: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

MMW bumped up .5 mil to debut with a 17 million weekend.

Before you start celebrating, this is actually the first initial number before the estimates came in with 16.5, and back then it was still a disappointing number.

To clarify some things: the fact that this was released in March has nothing to do with anything. Movies can break out at anytime, it just needs the audience attention. The Lego Movie opened with near 70 million in the first week of February! This was merely the classic case of too much family competition combined with a tough YA opener. Can we blame Disney? I don't know... they had this release date locked in for a very long time, and I'm not sure how long ago Divergent came into the picture but honestly I thought Muppets was the only opener until three weeks ago so that shows how much I paid attention to it.

Like Drtooth said, marketing comes into play with this. The Mouse spent probably a cool couple dozen or so million on marketing alone, and that does not figure into the film's production budget. The Muppets were showered EVERYWHERE and this is what they have to show in return: a tepid showing. It's just... not good.

Hopefully things will start improving, I really do hope.

5. Drtooth

Headdesk... That's much better? is that still the "we aren't counting Sunday because we're impatient" number, or did it only get .5 million over Sunday? Either way, the fact it didn't even nudge up to 20 mil (the lowest number they'd expect for it to be considered successful enough, and almost 10 mil below the already low estimate) just grinds my gears. Unless it's indeed the Sunday morning estimate, then they're just ignoring a slightly helpful increase. People see movies on Sundays. It's a thing.

I agree. it just takes a very energized base to see a movie. Lego was a monster. It was hyped up, it was something that hugely appealed to kids. But some crap like Nut Job and Gnomeo and Juliet manage to make money for being the only films out. The Muppets was released with 3 weak kid's movies (one of them being a vanity project that no one that isn't a film student would care about). MMW opened opposite Peabody, which was still performing strong (held at number three). And it's really tough as a fan of BOTH Muppets and Jay Ward. I'd hate to have seen P&S spanked by Frozen and Thor, but I'm very conflicted that MMW didn't even have close to Peabody's momentum.

Clearly, other than most fans, there wasn't that much momentum for the Muppets despite the new plushes selling out and the cereal boxes flying off the shelves. That's what confuses me. Which brings me to...

Which ticks me..the...heck...off. Unless there was some violent hype backlash about it, there is NO WAY this movie should have been ignored more than the first one. Disney did everything right this time (except for releasing anything on DVD), the Muppets were everywhere. That should have translated to a bigger opener than the last one. Divergent had absolutely no marketing of any kind up until 2 weeks, when they blitzed with 2 talk show appearances and a commercial. But then again, it seems word of mouth of the book was the only thing it needed. It's not really the same audience, but still... that's going to be a thorn in our sides. The real competition is Peabody, but still... stop writing these terrible books and making movies out of them.

6. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Yeah well I have lame friends in real life cause NO ONE went to see MMW this weekend. :p

Muppet Master likes this.
  7. goldenstate5

That's the actual, hard number for how much the film made this weekend.

8. Drtooth

Wait...

Didn't they announce 17 million earlier Sunday? I'm confused.

Still, it should have at least managed to get to 20. This is very bleak for us Muppet fans. I'm not holding out any hope for much more.

9. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Disagree. Divergent is basically just marketing. 2 hours of marketing. A collage of popular things thrown into one huge blockbuster package.

The book sucks. The movie is awful. But people eat it up.

10. Drtooth

Trying very hard to not be passive aggressive about the competition, but even if the Muppets came in at number one with 80 million dollars, Divergent would still suck.

I agree. The film needed no marketing because it's all hype on a series of books that, frankly I've never heard of. Twilight and Hunger Games I heard of well before they became movies. This one just came out of nowhere and caught fire for no reason. The ones eating it up are tween-20 year old girls are over the moon that they have some flat heroine to look out for. Young Adult Writing Computer #563 stole elements of Hunger Games and the back cover summery of The Matrix and then someone decided to make it a movie because somehow a book I've never heard of that came out of nowhere was popular somehow.

Yes, hopefully it will see a huge drop off next weekend, but still... it's hard to be optimistic when the Muppet franchise can't manage to squeeze even 20 million out on opening weekend. Sure, maybe we'll miraculously get some weekday college student traffic or something, and if we're really lucky, it could bump those numbers up. But at this point, things look bleak. I'm trying to hold out optimism for a second week, word of mouth and repeat business surprise, but... well...

MrBloogarFoobly likes this.
  11. goldenstate5

The Sunday weekend estimate was 16.5. Today they released the actual numbers, which turned out to be .5 million higher.

It's still bad. Every box office report is announcing that "Muppets disappointed/missed"... it needs a miraculous turnaround at this point. Movies are so frontloaded nowadays that Disney is probably already prepping to only hope that they make their money back with overseas and DVD sales, and to never repeat another Muppet feature. I did once read that the reason MMW got ordered was due to strong international sales and home video receipts, but you can bet that strong showing on OW for TM11 helped as well. Remember: the 2011 film performed strong domestically as well, so MMW disappointing domestically doesn't show a good sign.

12. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Guess what guys? Movies aren't open for one week. This movie has various opportunities to make money back. Sure, the theaters I've seen it at haven't been packed; others claim they have been.

Yeah, I'm a tad upset it's not doing that well. According to Box Office Mojo, it's playing in around 300 less theaters than the last movie (which is weird), so that could partially affect its performance.

13. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

I remember seeing the 2011 Muppet movie on a snowy, stormy opening day. Besides me, my brother and father, and a couple friends, there were at least two or three other people who made it to the showing we went to. By comparison, in my two viewings of MMW this weekend, the audience, while not a full house, still included a few families and was considerably larger this time around. The point I'm trying to make is that even if we've been to some scant screenings doesn't mean the movie's doing poorly everywhere.

I am a little sad this movie isn't doing better financially, but we shouldn't be losing our minds and calling the end of the franchise. The Muppets are doing more appearances until the end of March, both here and for the UK release, and they're still airing those Lipton ads as of yesterday. So, if that continues, we can only hope that the movie will pick up it's momentum through the next week or so.

I'm actually not too bothered by the critical reviews this has gotten, misguided as some are. I still think this was better than The Muppets, but of course I knew this wasn't going to top the ace marks the previous movie got. Reviews don't always guarantee a movie's fate, and the fact that the Muppets were inexplicably trumped twice by Twilight and now Divergent is evidence of that.

14. Pinkflower7783

Maybe Disney isn't too upset after all. :p
    [​IMG]

15. goldenstate5

300 less theaters (which is due to Frozen's everlasting presence, btw) has really nothing to do with it. The movie was still presented in over 3100 theaters, so there's really no excuse for failure at least when it comes to counts.

Well the marketing has to spin it someway. Disney isn't going to actively come out right now and say, "We're not happy." Not until everything is said and done, the movie is out of theaters and they're looking back will anyone say anything on MMW yet. If it did gangbuster business, that'd be different.

16. Pinkflower7783

I was being sarcastic. IMO it just looks like desperate advertising. Like "please come see this movie!!!! We're begging you!!" Maybe not that dramatic but that's the gist of it. If the film doesn't do well this weekend it's just gonna be really sad.

17. goldenstate5

Oh I know I was just reiterating for anybody who may take this seriously.

18. muppet boy

muppet boy Member

I just don't want the characters to disappear into obscurity again. We already that happen once with some disappointing productions in that time frame. I really don't want to return to that point again. I think that disney has invested too much money and really doesn't want to see the franchise fail either.

I saw the movie and really liked it. I was a bit choppy at first, but it got better as it progressed. I definitely rate it among the same caliber as GMC and MTM.

19. Pinkflower7783

Yeah well I just wasted 30 mins of my life arguing with a casual Muppet fan on why he thinks the movie sucks so bad and the best answer he gave me was because Jim and Frank aren't involved...I'm like really?! That's all you got?! >< and then when he asked me why I liked it and gave him valid points on why it was good he was like well that maybe so but Kermit isn't done by Jim anymore so it was a bad movie. I was like okay I'm done and have been down this road already before! I give up!

LouisTheOtter likes this.
  20. muppet boy

muppet boy Member

Jim is dead, he can't be involved. And Frank just doesn't want to anymore, and that's his choice.

The movie didn't suck. It wasn't super mega awesome. It had flaws. But all movies do. Nothing is perfect cause people have different ideas of what is perfect.

But imo, the movie was very good. One of the best muppet movies.