1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Pre-Order Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series DVD

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Phillip, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I would be too. But who knows if the thing will even be released at all?
  2. CarrieTheGreat

CarrieTheGreat New Member

We don't want Fraggle Rock in widescreen!

You're right, Red, and we are seeing a trend of studios and networks doing precisely that.

It just makes my eye twitch and I want to shake someone back to their senses.

Everyone, go to http://widescreen.org/podcasts.shtml and listen to podcast #030. The host John covers this topic based on my e-mail at time index 16:30.

Carrie
  3. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt New Member

HIT isn't releasing Fraggle Rock in widescreen. Most comtemporary series are shot in widescreen, and some are seeing re-issues of their DVDs to accomodate HD and widescreen TVs. Fraggle was not shot in widescreen, and won't appear on DVD in widescreen either.

Here is a pretty good article that details the differences between widescreen and full screen:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/widescreen.shtml
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I was about to say I didn't think it was shot in widescreen, being as old as it is (in a good way):)

Before I knew what full screen did to widescreen shot movies I use to hate the black bars to but when I learned that there was never anything below or above the bars and they were actually there to keep the sides of the movie from being chopped off to make the width bigger, I learned to live with and even like them on a normal tv :)
  5. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Aaw:(. Well, you're welcome to come visit me and watch movies on my widescreen then :). Or even with it not set to widescreen, FR looks pretty spiffy in HD :excited:
  6. CarrieTheGreat

Can any fan help me?

I'm on the verge of making the decision to boycott the "Complete Series" DVD set, but I still want to get Season 4 of Fraggle Rock.

I see some fans saying the thing to do is buy the Season 4 set from eBay, which is Region 4 (PAL), and then convert it to NTSC because I don't have a region-free player.

Trouble is, video duplication services I've called either won't do it (citing copyright restrictions) or they will but warned me that a straight conversion will lose all menu settings and episode breaks. The only thing they can offer is periodic chapter breaks, but they would have to "re-author" the DVDs at large expense in order to retain individual episodes.

Does anyone out there have other options? Can anyone do this right for me for cheap? You know, if I pay 20 dollars for the set, then 20 dollars to ship it to the USA, and then another 50 or more for duplication -- I mean, I might as well buy the collector's set and have it good!

Will check back for responses.
  7. CarrieTheGreat

As I was saying ...

... I don't have a multi-region player.

Carrie
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It's cheaper to just break down and buy a player, mine only cost about $25 on ebay, or if you don't mind being limited to the computer the VLC player plays PAL even if your main DVD player on the computer doesn't :)
  9. CarrieTheGreat

Buying a new player is not an option

I already have three DVD players, not counting the one in my computer, and all of them are Region 1 only.

I don't want to buy another one just to play one set of discs.

Carrie
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

But look at it this way, you can buy any DVD from any part of the work and have it world then, the UK for one gets so many DVDs we don't, and then there is Japan that often gets animated movies that already have perfect english subtitles years before we do....

And like I said, the VLC player when you download it can play any DVD for any part of the world even if your drive on your computer itself doesn't...
    Anyway, I was just saying if you are willing to pay $20 anyway a little bit over that to play FR and every DVD in the world without having to worry is worth it IMHO :)
  11. DLGabriel

DLGabriel Active Member

CarrieTheGreat... I sent a PM your way about you getting Season 4. Make sure you check your messages.

:excited::busy::coy:
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Of course there is a BIG difference. the A! episodes are yet to discuss rights and conversions, and all that stuff. In other words, it hasn't been made. In this case, Volume 4 HAS been made, just not released separately. All they'd have to do is take the same disks, relable them, and make a new box.
  13. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Ooo that is why this really steams my carrots, it is such an easy thing for a big company to do :p!
  14. Traveling Matt

That is a big difference, but rights were not quite the problem with that show. Warner Bros. made the mistake of releasing Animaniacs sets too close together. They put out Volumes 1, 2 and 3 all within about twelve months, oversaturating the market with competing collections. Sony is currently releasing wonderfully-restored chronological sets of The Three Stooges at an even more rapid pace; they've almost completed Curly's run (96 films) in just one year!

This mistake is exactly what HIT hasn't done. They've taken their time and carefully thought out, produced and released one set per year. And, up until now, they've done everything right.
  15. LeanneFuller

LeanneFuller Active Member

Australian Fraggle Rock Season Box Sets:

Season 1:

01 Beginnings
    02 Wembley & the Gorgs
    03 Let the Water Run
    04 You can’t do that without a Hat
    05 The Thirty Minute Work Week
    06 The Preachification of Convincing John
    07 I Want to be You (My Favourite Episode Ever!)
    08 The Terrible Tunnel
    09 The Lost Treasure of the Fraggles
    10 Don’t Cry Over Spilt Milk
    11 Catch the Tail by the Tiger
    12 The Finger of Light
    13 We Love you Wembley
    14 The Challenge
    15 I Don’t Care
    16 Capture the Moon
    17 Marooned
    18 The Minstrels
    19 The Great Radish Famine
    20 The Garden Plot
    21 Gobo’s Discovery
    22 Mokey’s Funeral
    23 The Beast of Bluerock
    24 New Trash Heap in Town

Season 2:

01 Wembley’s Egg
    02 Boober Rock
    03 The Trash Heap Doesn’t Live Here Anymore
    04 Read’s Sea Monster
    05 Uncle Matt Comes Home
    06 Boober’s Dream
    07 Mokey and the Minstrels
    08 All Work and All Play
    09 Sir Hubris and the Gorgs
    10 A Friend in Need
    11 The Wizard of Fraggle Rock
    12 The Doozer Contest
    13 Red’s Club
    14 The Secret of Convincing John
    15 Manny’s Land of Carpets
    16 Junior Sells the Farm
    17 Fraggle Wars
    18 The Day the Music Died
    19 The Doomsday Soup
    20 A Cave of One’s Own
    21 Wembley and the Great Race
    22 Doozer is as Doozer Does
    23 Boober’s Quiet Day
    24 The Invasion of the Toe Ticklers

Season 3:

01 The Bells of Fraggle Rock
    02 Red Handed and Invisible Thief
    03 Boober and the Glob
    04 The Grapes of Generosity
    05 Blanket of Snow Blanket of Woe
    06 Pebble Pox Blues
    07 Home is Where the Trash is
    08 Belive it or Not
    09 Wembley and the Mean Genie
    10 The Secret Society of Poohbahs
    11 The Beanbarrow, the Burden and the Bright Bouquet
    12 Gobo’s School for Explorers
    13 Scared Silly
    14 The Great Radish Caper
    15 Born to Wander
    16 The Battle of the Leaking Roof
    17 Playing ‘Till it Hurs
    18 Bored Stiff
    19 The Cavern of Lost Dreams
    20 The Incredible Shrinking Monkey
    21 A Dark and Stormy Night
    22 Gunge, the Great and Glorious
    23 Sprocket’s Big Adventure
    24 Wembley’s Wonderful Whoopie Water

Season 4:

01 Wembley’s Wonderful Whoopie Water
    02 Uncle Matt’s Discovery
    03 Junior Faces the Music
    04 A Tune for Tow
    05 The Perfect Blue Rollie
    06 A Brush with Jealousy
    07 Wembley’s Fight
    08 Red’s Blue Dragon
    09 Wonder Mountain
    10 Space Frog Follies
    11 Boober Gorg
    12 Mirror, Mirror
    13 The Riddle of the Rock
    14 The Voice Inside
    15 The Trial of Cotterpin Doozer
    16 The River of Life
    17 Beyond the Pond
    18 Mokey, Then and Now
    19 Gone, But not Forgotten
    20 Ring around the Clock
    21 Inspector Red
    22 The Gorg who Would be King
    23 The Honk of Honks
    24 Change of Address

The Animated Collection

01 No Fraggle is an Island
    02 Big Trouble for a Little Fraggle / Necessity is the Fraggle of Invention
    03 The Great Raddish Roundup / Lucky Gargy
    04 A Fraggle for all Seasons / A Growing Relationship
    05 The Best of the Best / Where no Fraggle has Gone Before
    06 Gobo’s Song / Wembley and the Bemble
    07 Amassador Gorg
    08 Homebody Matt
    09 Laundry Never Lies / What Boober’s Nose Knows
    10 Mokey’s Flood of Creativity / What the Doozers Did
    11 Red’s Drippy Dilemma / Fraggle Babble
    12 The Radish Fairy / The Funnies Joke in the Universe
    13 Fraggle Fool’s Day / Wembley’s Trip to Outer Space.

It looks like they doubled up on Wembley’s Wonderful Whoopie Water on Season 3 and 4. I haven’t got to season 3 yet, but as soon as I have I’ll let you guys know if there is a mistake or not.

Hope this helps clear things up for you guys. Hope there isn’t the same mistake on the US versions.

Leanne
    x
  16. LeanneFuller

You can make your DVD Players Multi Region by typing in a code using your remote, just like if you were going to put a cheat on a computer game console. All you need to know is what make your DVD player is and then follow the instructions from this LINK!

They tell you how to do this in the UK as it cheaper to buy DVD's abroad. It works fine, try it.

Hope this helps

Leanne
    x
  17. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Hey Leanne,

Great LINK to the region codes site, I have a DVD player in my living room and a portable DVD player that I had turned to region 0, but havnt been able to find the code for the DVD/TV combi in my bedroom, but that site had it and it worked, now I can watch all my US DVDs in bed, lol.

Thanks again for the link,

24 days til the complete Series boxset,:excited:

Chris
  18. LeanneFuller

Hi Chris,

I threw caution to the wind and got them all from OZ all 5 worked out at £65, which was cool, but as you can see one episode is missing.

I'm not bothered about any extra's as I have the making of the Rock on the original UK DVD from years ago. Shame they have never released the whole set in UK format, I liked the captain. I used to love Porridge so to see Fulton Mackay was fantastic.

I've got used to seeing Doc as Sky have been showing reruns from the first season on Tiny Pop and Pop Girls. It seems to be an 80's feast on those channels they also show old episodes of the Carebears and Rupert.

I'm glad you made your DVD player mulit region. Martin Lewis is fantastic, what we need in the Credit Crunch.

Have a great Sunday.

Leanne
    x
  19. LeanneFuller

The States have most of the BBC Shows, we don't even have all of them over here yet.

This happened with: Hi-de-Hi / Are you being Served / Some Mothers do Have 'Em

We still haven't had any of the French and Saunders series over here yet. You guys have them all.

I suppose it is swings and roundabouts, however, thank God for the internet and Multi Region Players.

Leanne
  20. Traveling Matt

Thanks for the listing Leanne. Yes, please let us know if that's just a typo or if they did indeed leave out Sidebottom Blues.

Either error would be very interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.